Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-15, 10:17 AM  
pcdoctor01

The Doctors: Too fat for fitness

On "The Doctors" today: Too fat for fitness.
Howard Stern fat shamed a pole dancer. She will be on "The Doctors" today.
http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...cas-got-talent
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 10:34 AM  
bubbles76

I looked at the link. As crude as Stern can be, he has a point. If you lined up a group of fitness instructors and asked someone who was looking for a trainer to pick one, chances are that person would pick the instructor who looked in shape. Not the one who looks out of shape. And although she may actually be strong and flexible, to someone that has not seen her perform, she would not appear fit. I would not pick someone who looked out of shape, whether super skinny or not, as my trainer. I would like to see someone with some muscle tone.

His comments were, "She was too fat to have a career in fitness. Does not know why anyone would want to hire her as a trainer. Was not a role model for people." His comments could have been said better, and I certainly don't agree with the last comment. What he may have meant might have been akin to what I said above. If he had any class, he may have said it more like, "It's going to be harder for you to be in fitness if people don't actually SEE what you can do." Talent should rule and not size, so I don't he should have buzzed her or Lulu off the show. They weren't on the show to compete as fitness instructors, but to showcase their talent.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day

Last edited by bubbles76; 11-25-15 at 10:49 PM. Reason: edited for clarify.
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 11:23 AM  
TinierTina

He is like Too Many who Lost Great Amounts of Weight

Howard Stern had once gone on some high-carb, low fat natural diet, back in the day; and lost gobs of weight and kept it off ...

Unfortunately, many former fat people, Howard Stern included, want to see other people suffer for their art. And try to meet a media image first and foremost. I used to like Howard Stern's show. Over a generation ago.

Case closed.

He should indeed have, as mentioned above, graded Roz for her art. She's got a million dollar smile, and you could see lack of strain.

Now, I used to not like the #Represent school too much, myself; and it was a matter more of envy and awe at their prowess in the face of gravity (which has never been less than a mother** to me, no matter what my weight); than aesthetic outrage ...

But as I've eased away from certain disciplines and into others, I met more divergent-sized live dance fitness instructors who had much to give.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 12:17 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have a friend who prefers a trainer who isn't real slim. She says she feels more comfortable with someone like that, so there are exceptions.

I want a trainer who knows what he or she is doing. That usually takes a few sessions. I actually don't care if they don't have the perfect body.

Tina, I know what you mean. My brother lost a great deal of weight, and now is prejudiced against fat people. He says that a certain candidate from New Jersey is too fat to be President. I was kind of appalled at that statement since it had nothing to do with politics, only his physical appearance.
Old 11-25-15, 12:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Placing bets on how fast this thread will go to hell.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 01:38 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I have a friend who prefers a trainer who isn't real slim. She says she feels more comfortable with someone like that, so there are exceptions.

I want a trainer who knows what he or she is doing. That usually takes a few sessions. I actually don't care if they don't have the perfect body.

Tina, I know what you mean. My brother lost a great deal of weight, and now is prejudiced against fat people. He says that a certain candidate from New Jersey is too fat to be President. I was kind of appalled at that statement since it had nothing to do with politics, only his physical appearance.
I wouldn't really care if they were slim or not. I would expect them to have some muscle though. As far as wanting a trainer who knows what he or she is doing, yes I agree that takes a few sessions. But beyond that, I really want a trainer that takes the personal approach. One size does not fit all, so if I say a certain type of training bores me or that it's too hard, don't tell me, "it will get you the results you want." Think of something else more exciting that will get me the results I want

But I was just talking from a "line them up and choose without the benefit of a resume" type of thing. I think that is where Stern was coming from. If I did not see Lulu or Roz performing, I would not think they were personal trainers, and I probably would not choose them as personal trainers. However, after seeing Roz perform, I would really like to be in her pole dancing class. I would definitely take classes from her.

As for whether or not Governor Christie should be President because of his weight, comments have been made here that he would die in office because of his weight. Not fit, the high stress of the job, hence he could die in office, hence he should not be in office. Pretty ridiculous, as I'm sure there are plenty of slimmer Presidents who have had other ailments that would cause them to die in office. And we all handle stress in different ways.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 11-25-15, 01:46 PM  
pcdoctor01

Ive never done pole work but wouldnt you have to have muscle strength and/or some kind of ab strength to stay up there?
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 02:07 PM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Placing bets on how fast this thread will go to hell.
Right!
Old 11-25-15, 02:08 PM  
TinierTina

Most pole dancing for the stage, is done upright or leaning. This is obviously at the elite level, and as such, reminds me of stunt breakdancing, Instagram-fodder yoga posture practice, gymnastics, circus arts, monkey bar calisthenics and the like ...

This kind of pole dancing would have to require incredible core strength, adductor muscle strength, leg integrity and coordination, at the very least; and at all sizes ... seems the problem is mostly against gravity. And that it is not necessarily solved just by developing a visible 6 pack ....

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 02:45 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Most pole dancing for the stage, is done upright or leaning. This is obviously at the elite level, and as such, reminds me of stunt breakdancing, Instagram-fodder yoga posture practice, gymnastics, circus arts, monkey bar calisthenics and the like ...

This kind of pole dancing would have to require incredible core strength, adductor muscle strength, leg integrity and coordination, at the very least; and at all sizes ... seems the problem is mostly against gravity. And that it is not necessarily solved just by developing a visible 6 pack ....
Agreed!

Tags
fitness at every size, fitness trainers, health at every size, pole dancing, pole fitness