NoraKate
VF Supporter

yoga = cultural appropriation

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/20/...ultural-issues

what?
Old 11-22-15, 05:42 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Really tired of these ridiculous reactions to perceived offenses. Ugh!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 05:43 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

am I going to be allowed to bellydance anymore?
Old 11-22-15, 05:53 PM  
bubbles76

I can understand this:

Ahimakin said the student federation put the yoga session on hiatus while they consult with students "to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces. ... We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner."

But then you might have people offended who don't want to hear about the spiritual aspects. Where do you draw the line? Why not just rebrand it if you aren't going to have a "purist" yoga class? That "it isn't easily translated into French" excuse is nonsense, if you ask me.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 05:58 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Oh please! More political correctness run amuck ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 06:45 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I can understand this:

Ahimakin said the student federation put the yoga session on hiatus while they consult with students "to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces. ... We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner."

But then you might have people offended who don't want to hear about the spiritual aspects. Where do you draw the line? Why not just rebrand it if you aren't going to have a "purist" yoga class? That "it isn't easily translated into French" excuse is nonsense, if you ask me.
Is "movement with breath awareness" more translatable?

I've started to see (online), live commercial classes referred to by this nomenclature.

I've p'd off yoga teachers (who were into the pilgrimage to India aspects of teaching highly spiritual yoga) with my mention of Mumbai's rape culture. Rape of women and teenage girls by men, to clarify.

I don't care. India has current-day strains of its own. Yoga is hyper-commercialized and devoid of its spirituality to its own kind, there in India; as well as in the West, these days.

[Guessing only a few "tradition-bound yoga insiders" live in caves up in the mountains anymore; and the more intrepid tourists should watch out for that whole other aspect of tourism ...]

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 07:10 PM  
BunnyHop

It does strike me as ironic that the clear eyed awareness and mindful perspective that yoga's apparently supposed to enhance (or bring about) is the one thing that a lot of yoga-fanatics don't seem to have.
Old 11-22-15, 07:47 PM  
Kiwi Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post

Really tired of these ridiculous reactions to perceived offenses. Ugh!
Me too. It's a wonder they get any work done in that student centre with all the indepth over-analysis they must do
Kiwi Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 08:18 PM  
Betty Boop

Gosh--I guess they would be upset if they knew that the Veterans Administration in the U.S. is using yoga to work with people coming back from overseas. One of the V.A. chaplains told me that yoga is part of their "toolkit."
Old 11-22-15, 11:45 PM  
TinierTina

And at-risk teenage girls (maybe not rape victims in Mumbai, India, but here in my own "backyard", well, some few miles away, but no NIMBY-ing around -- i.e., where one close by and hardly better off, has to pay attention ...) ...

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/...re-neighborly/

"What I learn as Director of The Yoga and Mindful Literature Initiative for Girls is there are countless yoga studios out there (particularly with similar programs for at-risk youth) that do an astonishing amount of “good”—but by whose definition? Assuming what is beneficial to the community without directly asking for their input is exactly what Peter Buffet called “philanthropic colonialism” in a New York Times Op-Ed article: “The act of transplanting what works in one setting directly into another with little regard for culture, geography, or societal norms.” "

"Tip 1: Get to surveying! What better way to culturally align yoga studios than by asking our diverse neighbors what defines a 'good' class or experience?

"Eliminating “exclusive consumer classism” brings to mind two more reach-out worthy key players in the neighborhood: one is the predominant socioeconomic class. For example in New York, about 44 percent of practitioners make over $75,000 per year—which justifies some of the absurd class prices over $30, right?"

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote