Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-15, 02:47 PM  
Gams

Anyone remember the "King of Queens" episode where Carrier sucked at pole dancing and Doug showed her how it's done? I was impressed by how well Kevin James did. I love that show.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 02:48 PM  
sherry7899

I love that episode!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 07:46 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Placing bets on how fast this thread will go to hell.
*passes the popcorn*
Old 11-25-15, 09:09 PM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
*passes the popcorn*
LOL! I am not going to say what I am thinking.......it will surely get the thread locked.
Old 11-26-15, 09:37 AM  
Julia

The name of the show.. Americas got talent, not Americas got the popular and admired look of skinny. Very talented lady, I would have enjoyed the performance. Id like to see Howard Stern up there, what hes capable of.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 09:37 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, I think this could very easily go down in flames, but before it does, I'll give my two cents.

I was seriously considering becoming a barre instructor, but part of the reason I didn't pursue it was that I KNOW people judge fitness instructors harshly. I've heard many a pointed comment (positive or negative) about instructors, which makes me crazy. Some of the best instructors I've had have not had magazine-cover bodies, but they were good isntructors, cued well, motivated the students, had a sense of humor, made the class fun, etc. Quality of instruction has little to do with whether or not someone has cut muscles or a six pack. Yes, I think it's important that an instructor can DO what he or she is teaching, but not everyone's body is going to respond the same way. I really hate how linked looks are with fitness.

An apprehension with being judged is certainly not the sole reason I decided not to pursue barre instruction certification, nor is it even at the top of my list, but it was a niggling concern I had in the back of my mind. Sure enough, one of the studios hiring in my area had 'a pleasing aesthetic' or some similar criteria on the list of qualifications for instructors. I wonder if I would have -- literally -- been weighed, measured and found wanting? Maybe, maybe not. But for now I'm just working on teaching a class for some of my friends, and that's good enough!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 09:50 AM  
Julia

Nuggie's Auntie, I agree with you 100% and years ago I had a similar situation to you and chose not to teach yoga at a popular club near me based on my weight. There was a double standard as I was accepted for the job BUT everone was telling me my medium frame was too large and it would be best for the club if I lost the weight first (I was eating low carb less than 1200 calories a day, killing myself to be acceptable in appearance). The thing is.. AGT (and shows like) typical popular culture that is where the beauty and appearance standards begin for most people in our culture, we are dictated to as to what we are supposed to look like in order to be our best. In truth it should begin inside. There is a problem when Howard Stern is considered an authority on this over someone with actual talent.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 12:36 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
Nuggie's Auntie, I agree with you 100% and years ago I had a similar situation to you and chose not to teach yoga at a popular club near me based on my weight. There was a double standard as I was accepted for the job BUT everone was telling me my medium frame was too large and it would be best for the club if I lost the weight first (I was eating low carb less than 1200 calories a day, killing myself to be acceptable in appearance). The thing is.. AGT (and shows like) typical popular culture that is where the beauty and appearance standards begin for most people in our culture, we are dictated to as to what we are supposed to look like in order to be our best. In truth it should begin inside. There is a problem when Howard Stern is considered an authority on this over someone with actual talent.
Oh, yeah, NYC studio yoga. I personally experienced being the largest in all of my classes, except for restorative yoga; wherein a good proportion of the class students were average to large . I'd stayed far, far, far away from gentle yoga, formerly nicknamed-by-me as "sleepytime yoga" (so could not tell you about those classes). Because I knew I would probably like it too much and give them too much of my hard-earned $$$; and, you know, presented no workout as compared to my home practice, which had been rabid ...

And--to be eminently fair--they'd suspected that, but I can't be 100% sure.

So after losing dozens and dozens of pounds, I had been the largest in all the others. NOTE that I had not entered my current, nominally medically prescribed low-carbing phase, by then. However, during a short stint with an eating disorder, I'd been dubbed by the Master Teacher (who has since made a name for himself up the Coast) as "making unbelievable progress" and showing "more energy in my practice" at that time.

They'd nearly so much as peed on my head and told me it was raining.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 01:42 PM  
ellenalesa

Obese fitness trainer

Something to think about. And I'm saying this with all due respect.

I am currently taking classes to sit for the ACE personal trainer and group fitness instructor. At my current weight, 220 pounds, 5'3". I am one of the oldest students (51) and largest (not THE largest) but surprisingly, not one of the least fit. There's a gorgeous 20 year old who is 5'8", 120 pounds, beautiful figure, who is as deconditioned as I am. She looks a whole lot better, tho, LOL. She's not the only one who is young and looks good, but isn't healthy.

My best friend, whom I love dearly, gently suggested that this might not be all that successful bc I"m heavy.

I beg to differ. This weight is a temporary condition. I can change it, with time, dedication, cleaning up my eating and increasing my exercise. I can improve my cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength.

My target audience is people like me who are stressed out, perhaps recovering from an injury, and trying to take care of other people. One of the reasons I don't like going to the gym is having to show up in my less than perfect body.

I understand what it's like to feel ashamed, overwhelmed, and too darn tired to exercise, not to mention afraid of getting hurt. I've been normal weight and obese. I am learning how to make health my lifestyle. Fitting into a size 10 isn't important to me...remaining healthy and mobile is.

I've had fitness instructors who certainly looked the part more than I do who didn't know what the heck they were doing, and caused me to get injured. Looks aren't everything.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I have to say that I think it sucks that people are so focused on the outward appearance. Yeah, I get it...obviously if you look at someone who's heavy or obese, they lack credibility, especially when they're talking about health.

I'm so sorry to hear that people who probably have a lot to offer are not going into the field because they're afraid of being judged. I'm afraid of it, too, but I'm not going to let it stop me. My target audience is going to be people who are like me, getting started on the road back to health. It's tough enough to deal with all that without being judged based on the way we look.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 02:44 PM  
Chomper

Just chiming in to say that I would never choose a personal trainer by how they look. I would want someone who knows their stuff and can teach me, and has a compatible personality so the sessions are fun. It would be great if they can also perform feats of strength and balance that wow me, but their body fat % is irrelevant to me.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness at every size, fitness trainers, health at every size, pole dancing, pole fitness