Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-15, 12:26 PM  
Lannette

I just found a few minutes to check out the "Guided In-Office Exercise Routine" that's a part of this set. It's streaming and since I'm not reliably able to stream it kept stopping and starting - mostly stopping.

It's 10 minutes long and has a variety of standing, sitting and against the wall stretches. I recognized all the movements but they are sequenced differently than on her other DVDS and downloads. It uses a half dome. At one point I wasn't sure that she had stretched both calves but if not there's a place that would allow for a switch or at least that's how it seemed. I didn't do the routine. I just watched it. It looks effective. I plan on having DH give it a try.

Almost forgot, Katy does does voice over with quiet Asian instrumental music in the background. It's set in an office with the edge of the desk and the desk chair used as props.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 09-05-15 at 12:28 PM. Reason: to add
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 03:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=Lannette;2564105]I just found a few minutes to check out the "Guided In-Office Exercise Routine" that's a part of this set. It's streaming and since I'm not reliably able to stream it kept stopping and starting - mostly stopping. /QUOTE]

The problem with streaming is a big issue to me. Like I said before I was having trouble with it on the other videos. I will take a look at Katy's In office exercise routine as well as some of the therapy ball videos and see what happens. It looks like I will probably will be asking for a refund.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 05:25 AM  
Lannette

[QUOTE=lreidgreen;2564137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I just found a few minutes to check out the "Guided In-Office Exercise Routine" that's a part of this set. It's streaming and since I'm not reliably able to stream it kept stopping and starting - mostly stopping. /QUOTE]

The problem with streaming is a big issue to me. Like I said before I was having trouble with it on the other videos. I will take a look at Katy's In office exercise routine as well as some of the therapy ball videos and see what happens. It looks like I will probably will be asking for a refund.
I don't see any way to download the videos but I'm honestly no expert. I can play some YouTube videos as long as they aren't HD. I hope you'll find that I'm wrong and there's some way of downloading once you check it out. If you do find a way to download them please let me know.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 09-06-15, 12:06 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I don't see any way to download the videos but I'm honestly no expert. I can play some YouTube videos as long as they aren't HD. I hope you'll find that I'm wrong and there's some way of downloading once you check it out. If you do find a way to download them please let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Try Mozilla Firefox Video download helper add-on. I did a test download of the first few videos and it works. You can download that add-on here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

Will have to download the rest later.
Old 09-06-15, 06:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I apologize if I'm misreading this thread, but are there parts of this offer from Katy that are free, and if so, how to I access them? I would be particularly interested in her advice on setting up an ergonomic work space...thanks!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 07:21 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
Try Mozilla Firefox Video download helper add-on. I did a test download of the first few videos and it works. You can download that add-on here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

Will have to download the rest later.
I can't wait to check this out! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I apologize if I'm misreading this thread, but are there parts of this offer from Katy that are free, and if so, how to I access them? I would be particularly interested in her advice on setting up an ergonomic work space...thanks!
They are free when you purchase the e-book/course.

Old 09-07-15, 09:30 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Beth, there are plenty of resources to aid you in setting up an ergonomic workstation. Katy makes a good point in the video in which she tours The Primal Blueprints office- that setting up an ergonomic workstation is not sufficient. Any position ergonomic or not held for long periods of time are not good for the body.
I will see if I can find any links for you on how to set up a workstation to avoid awkward postures. Off hand I can think of the following:
1) When seated adjust your chair so your feet are flat on the floor and your knees are slightly below your hips. If your feet don't reach the floor for some reason (not adjustable chair, your height ) use a footrest. Inspect your chair and if the back is height adjustable put it in a position where your lumbar region is supported.
2) Your keyboard tray should be adjustable and should be set so it is right above your legs but not sitting on it. The mouse should be positioned so you do not have to reach for it-that is right next to your keyboard.
3) The keyboard should be positioned so the back is not higher than the front. Ideally your keyboard tray will have a tilt adjustment to enable you to do this. It really should be set to a negative tilt but many people do not like this position-you need to get used to it. Also do not use the little "feet" on the back of the keyboard which raises the back of the keyboard. You should not have to extend your wrists. Wrist extension along with the repetitive motion of typing can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. In simple terms, there should be a straight line from your elbow to your fingertips.
4) You should keep your arms close to your sides when your are typing unless you have one of those split keyboards in which case this will be impossible without forcing your wrists into an awkward position. Your wrists should be in line with your arms not deviated inward or outward.
5) Your monitor should be set about 24" away from you (I say about arms distance) and the top of the monitor should be set to eye level. This is a guideline-just make sure you have it set so you do not have to maintain a head position that puts strain on your neck. That is, forward leaning (monitor too low) or back leaning (monitor too high)

In terms of standing workstations many of the same things apply regarding how to position the monitor (no head tilting) and mouse (no reaching). The keyboard is kind of tricky. There are sit stand workstations like the Varidesk that I was tempted to get but at work I use a box and another riser to raise my monitor to the correct height. I then use either the adjustable keyboard tray that was already installed in my office before I transitioned to a sit stand arrangements or just put the keyboard tray on the desk on top of a binder positioned so I have the negative tilt. The guideline I have heard is that the top of the desk/workstation should be at elbow height to make it easier to keep a neutral wrist. When I sit, I use the keyboard on my laptop with a tray that tilts the laptop so the monitor is at a reasonable height. I have not been able to find the exact one I use as I bought it some time ago but it is along the same lines as this this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
Using such a stand your elbows are lower than your hands but if you keep them in one straight line and close to your body it shouldn't place stress on your shoulders and wrists. Another tip-everything should be placed at a distance so you do not have to reach-hard on the shoulders.
I use the same tilting stand at home with my laptop on a riser. Right now I move the laptop stand back and forth between work and home but I want to get one dedicated to work so I don't have to do this.
HTH
Old 09-07-15, 11:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for the detailed response, Leslie! I have been reading a lot online about ergonomic workstations lately since I'm having trouble getting comfortable at work; I was hoping that Katy might have more light to shed on the subject (other than not sitting at all, haha).

I read that recently about the negative tilt to the keyboard, but I tried it, and it made my wrists hurt worse! Then I was thinking that it doesn't make sense in some ways--i.e., I have a laptop stand that is similar to yours (titling forward), so why shouldn't my desktop keyboard tilt that way as well? My wrists don't hurt using the laptop (although it does give me some shoulder issues from the lack of mouse when I use for a long time). So I'm actually going to try my desktop keyboard on a setup more similar to my laptop when I go in tomorrow to see if that helps.

I did get an ergonomic (vertical) mouse at work, which seems to help, but the problem is, there isn't a good place to put it. If it's on the keyboard tray, it's too far, so I have to put it on my desk, which is okay, although not ideal. I really need a keyboard that doesn't have the numbers pad, which I never use, but it's hard to find a functional keyboard without one. Anyway, I've been trying a lot of things...I probably need a new chair, too!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 01:48 PM  
cyana

I second the thanks for the detailed information on ergonomic workstations, Leslie. I've done the cheap hack standing workstation (I work from home), but I need to decide on a sit to stand solution as I work long hours and can't stand all day. I have a laptop in a docking station with an external keyboard and mouse and two decent-sized monitors, so not just any device will work for me, unfortunately. Since it will be coming out of my pocket, I want to make a good decision the first time, as these devices would be mega $$$$ to ship back if they don't work out.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 09:18 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I read that recently about the negative tilt to the keyboard, but I tried it, and it made my wrists hurt worse! Then I was thinking that it doesn't make sense in some ways--i.e., I have a laptop stand that is similar to yours (titling forward), so why shouldn't my desktop keyboard tilt that way as well? My wrists don't hurt using the laptop (although it does give me some shoulder issues from the lack of mouse when I use for a long time). So I'm actually going to try my desktop keyboard on a setup more similar to my laptop when I go in tomorrow to see if that helps.
The tilt only matters if you extend your wrists. So if there is a positive tilt as there is with the laptop stand and you position yourself so there is a straight line from your elbow to your fingertips it really doesn't matter what the tilt of the keyboard is. You can have the straight line with your fingers higher than your elbows or your fingers lower than your elbows. Usually when you are seated and the back of the keyboard is higher than the front, your wrists extend which can cause problems. See this:
http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/ahtuto...ngposture.html

Tags
katy bowman, varidesk