Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-04, 02:25 PM  
cz639

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAParent
Where did you get the Body Flux bar? I used to have a bar that screwed apart, but I lost it in a move some time ago.
I got it from the Zeller's stores Rewards catalogue. It is very similar to Karen Voight's bar.

Born to be wild - live to outgrow it.
Lao Tzu
cz639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 11:20 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Reviving an ooold thread here . I've started getting interested in the FIRM 'Oldies' and was wondering about whether or not I'd 'need' a body bar (and if so, what #?) or if I should stick with getting a dowel?.. The vidiot in me kinda wants a weighted body bar, but the sensible person says I don't need to spend more $ on more equipment...
Any input (or enabling)???

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 06:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I used a cheapo bar that I bought at Marshall's or Ross or somewhere like that. It came in three pieces and you screwed it together. If you want to use a bar, you could probably find something these days like that? Maybe. I used it for years and it cost me something like $8.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 09:02 AM  
Carol K

I use both a dowel and a weighted bar, depending on how it's being used in the workouts.
Old 02-01-15, 01:44 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Thanks, Laura & Carol!
I guess I'll first get myself a cheap dowel then and see how the workouts work for me with that. As much as I want more fitness equipment, I'm known to get stuff and end up not using it

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 02:01 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I recently visited Play It Again Sports and they had all kinds of weighted bars of various weights. I'd check there.
Old 03-20-15, 08:51 PM  
hlthe2b

Easy to make a sculpting dowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I use both a dowel and a weighted bar, depending on how it's being used in the workouts.
I have a bar bell, but since the Firm workouts are frequently using the dowel for balance, I had been using one of a pair of hiking sticks. However, since those are meant to have a bit of "spring" in order to propel you forward, I really needed something more stable.

I decided to make mine and did so very inexpensively. I went to Home Depot after first deciding on a diameter dowel that would feel substantial in my hand, but comfortable (1 1/4 inches) and appropriate height (48 inches). I found exactly what I was looking for for a mere $4.75--nicely sanded with no rough spots. Then I looked for the end caps which, in this case were white rubber 1 1/4 inch furniture leg tips-- for a mere $2.78. Opened the package, popped the rubber caps on, and Voila! Perfect!

So all told less than $8 and it is nice pretty wood that I will likely not paint (never did paint or varnish my three fanny lifter "boxes"), though you certainly could if you wanted.
hlthe2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 03:38 PM  
LuceLu

pvc pipe

My husband bought some pvc pipe for some shoulder stretches/exercises. He cut the length he needed. The remainder was perfect for the dowel I needed for the Firm dvds (pre GT). It is 1.5 inch pipe and I put furniture end covers on them. It works great. I do have the sculpting stick but don't seem to use it as much as the dowel which I use quite a bit because they also employ it in the Fitprimes.
LuceLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 04:01 PM  
Carol K

I still use the dowel a lot too. The Sculpting Stick Pro is shorter than the first stick, so whenever they use the sculpting stick for balance, I use the dowel instead.

Tags
body bar, bodybar, firm sculpting stick, weighted bar