Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-15, 02:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

When and why did steady state cardio start to get a bad rap?

I sure read a lot now about how interval training and Hiit are so much better for fat loss (which many of us want). Why has steady state cardio been so denigrated recently? What has been your personal experience?
Old 03-26-15, 02:33 PM  
dnna

I have an old workout by Kathy Smith called fat burning workout, It is on dvd with 2 other workouts. she talks about how good steady state cardio is to get someone off a plateau, and shows a chart that shows how much fat is burned from fat stores=the longer you workout, the more fat burn comes from stored fat.
Is this info no longer valid?hmm, well I like the workout very much- there is a great stretch at the end, and I get a lot of steps in. 1 hour
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 03:22 PM  
bubbles76

My personal experience is that it's great to mix things up, to avoid injury and increase enjoyment When I lost 30 pounds some time ago, I think it was all through steady state stuff. I definitely got my heart rate up there, but I was doing a lot of step, hi/lo, and kickboxing. No metabolic, HIIT, circuits, insert-new-trend here. Although I do love my HIIT and metabolic workouts, steady state is like a comfortable friend, waiting to meet my achy joints and bad mood with open arms.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 04:20 PM  
bfit

The way I understand it is that when you're pushing it to your aerobic limit in the HIIT intervals you're burning a higher percentage of calories from fat. When you're doing steady state cardio for a longer period of time you're burning more overall calories, but fewer of them are from fat. Personally, I think HIIT type workouts are more popular now because they're shorter, and people feel like they're cramming more in given the time they have. A lot of people don't want to spend an hour or more doing a workout. I try to do both for the variety.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 05:18 PM  
TinierTina

Found out through the back door that steady state has never left us ...

I blew the dust off a bunch of vintage exercise programs (in old and hoary media - audio cassette tapes); and I right away saw that my flexibility did a better job with the old-school steady-state aerobic programs, so far ..

These programs do not take all that much longer to do than intervals, and your flexibility is improved or at least maintained, as compared to more of the bell-curve in intensity (also old-school), or the intervals, or the sudden-drop-off methods (more new-wave) ...

The reasons why?

If someone is not naturally flexible in the hips, for instance, you have that much more time in the course of the workout, to develop it with the repetitive motion ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 05:21 PM  
bubbles76

Tina, thank you for introducing me to the word "hoary". Not what I thought it meant . I will be using it in conversation now.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 05:23 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Tina, thank you for introducing me to the word "hoary". Not what I thought it meant . I will be using it in conversation now.
I'm hoary, now, and rejoice every time I realize I don't have to worry about roots any more!!!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 06:13 PM  
momof10

I love HIIT, but I still love steady state. There is just something calming about it. I will always include steady state in my workout rotations.

Cheryl
Old 03-26-15, 06:15 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I love HIIT, but I still love steady state. There is just something calming about it. I will always include steady state in my workout rotations.

Cheryl
Yes. Steady state cardio has that effect on me too.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 06:18 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Harder is better. Extreme isn't good enough. More extreme is better. "They" must keep changing things to get people into the clubs and gyms. People get bored.

I don't know when or why or who decided steady state wasn't as good. It's the only thing my body can do so I'll do it and enjoy every minute of it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio