Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-17, 11:17 AM  
TinaT

Another HR Question

So is it ok if your HR stays above the recommended number? Top end for me is suppose to be 145. But I can't keep it under that when I do a FIRM cardio WO. I did Super Cardio today, with no impact. OMGoodness I was at 155 most of the time. I don't feel bad and can speak full sentences. I don't feel any burning in my lunges.

I've been working out steadily for the past 10 weeks.

????? Help.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 12:24 PM  
noodles

If you feel fine I wouldn't worry too much unless you have an underlying cardiac condition or are on meds. Is this with a heart rate monitor or are you checking your pulse yourself? I question the accuracy of some monitors. I wear one at orangetheory and there are times my heart is ready to bust out of my chest wall and my rate is reading really low lol!
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 12:55 PM  
TinaT

I use a Polar HR monitor w/chest strap.
Old 04-23-17, 01:35 PM  
bubbles76

Yea, I agree with noodles. Although I'm no expert and haven't used a HR monitor in years, it just seems like too much to keep up with and stress about if you don't have to. If it makes you feel more motivated to use it then do so. I suggest using it more as a gauge to track your performance over time.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 02:13 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I wear a chest strap with monitor at my bootcamp (similar to Orange Theory) and mine is very accurate.

Your max heart rate sounds really low to be honest. How did you figure that it should be 145? My max is 164, and that's working really hard. The fitter you are, the lower your max rate will be, but there is no way I could do much of anything and keep my heart rate below 145. Everyone is very different however ... rates are not only based on fitness level, but age. My max rate was determined by my actual heart rate while wearing the strap.

Can I ask how you've determined that your max is 145?
Old 04-23-17, 02:44 PM  
TinaT

I did it with my HR monitor & chest strap. It says I should be between 111- 145. But I feel better being a bit above that. I mainly want to know my calorie burn. Which seems low as well. I know we've talked about this before. I just want to make sure, barring no health issues, that taking my HR above recommended setting is fine.
Old 04-23-17, 02:59 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Yep, we did have this conversation before!

I think a good indicator of whether you are going too high is how you feel. You said you could talk and feel good when it's higher, so I think you are fine.
Old 04-23-17, 05:20 PM  
TinaT

Thanks Jeanne! I will relax and exhale over this. My heart and lungs feel great and I have noticed a huge improvement over my endurance since starting back on a regular basis. (4-5 days a week).
Old 05-12-17, 10:41 AM  
TinaT

Update: This whole HR question is always on my mind. While I had my mom at her Dr. appt, I was able to ask about my specific HR. (Yes, we have the same dr). Anyway, he ran the numbers and explained that at my age, 168 is max my heart should beat per minute. He then explained that at 80% or 137 HR, is my optimal target for best results. I was pushing to 145 or 85%.

He said pushing the 85% shouldn't do any damage, but it also isn't necessary to get a good calorie burn and will probably leave me a bit more energized vs tired. Which I will say, I've been a bit tired on my workout days. I know there's a lot of data out there, but this makes sense to me. Unless I'm training a triathlon and need to push beyond the norm, I think this is where I need to be.

I'm going to give it try and see what my results look like over the next 3 weeks.
Old 05-12-17, 11:58 AM  
pcdoctor01

I like seeing how many calories I burn. I get a kick out of that. I wear a heart rate monitor with a strap.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote