Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-14, 08:00 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
This thread motivated me to do Raising the Bar today. Now I remember why it used to be one of my favorites. It is similar to Les Mills Pump, which I also love, but uses the Body Bar. Margaret knows how to smoke a muscle group! Plus she does it with a smile and calm voice. It is so great that she put it on DVD and re-released it. I highly recommend it!
Ugh! I am going through a Cathe phase right now but I love Margaret's workouts and wonder if I should take advantage of the sale. Also wondering if I need her All My Best DVDs? I put off buying the Classics for a long time and when I tried a couple recently I loved them. I love how calm she is, and she makes me practically cry while she's sitting there smiling.

ETA: Does the bar weigh much? Can you substitute a barbell without weights? Thanks! I had avoided looking at this one because I thought it was more of a "barre" workout.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:08 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
This thread motivated me to do Raising the Bar today. Now I remember why it used to be one of my favorites. It is similar to Les Mills Pump, which I also love, but uses the Body Bar. Margaret knows how to smoke a muscle group! Plus she does it with a smile and calm voice. It is so great that she put it on DVD and re-released it. I highly recommend it!
Oh this does sound great!

Tara, thanks for the info on the extended sale (I think) as I forgot that yesterday was originally the last day of the sale.

Julie, I recently received both All My Best dvds in one of her other sales and I liked the one I tried a lot but it was very similar to her unplugged dvds. I don't remember details but I remember thinking that as I was doing it. But all that being said, I did like it a lot .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:11 AM  
sharkee

What you you recommend to start with for someone who has never done any of Margaret's workouts

Thanks in advamce
Old 07-19-14, 08:15 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Tara, thanks for the info on the extended sale (I think) as I forgot that yesterday was originally the last day of the sale.
I know, right?! I was reading through this feeling kind of relieved at first that I missed the sale, only to find out it was extended. LOL

Quote:
Julie, I recently received both All My Best dvds in one of her other sales and I liked the one I tried a lot but it was very similar to her unplugged dvds. I don't remember details but I remember thinking that as I was doing it. But all that being said, I did like it a lot .
Thanks SB! It seems too good a sale to pass up! I will have to think about this.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Old 07-19-14, 08:20 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
Ugh! I am going through a Cathe phase right now but I love Margaret's workouts and wonder if I should take advantage of the sale. Also wondering if I need her All My Best DVDs? I put off buying the Classics for a long time and when I tried a couple recently I loved them. I love how calm she is, and she makes me practically cry while she's sitting there smiling.

ETA: Does the bar weigh much? Can you substitute a barbell without weights? Thanks! I had avoided looking at this one because I thought it was more of a "barre" workout.
Hi Julie...I have the All My Bests, but now that I have collected/am collecting more of the DVDs not sure I really need them anymore. I may get rid of at some point. But they were very helpful in deciding which of Margaret's DVDs that I wanted.

I am glad that I purchased the Classics DVDs, they are worth it alone for High Voltage and 40/Fabulous. Not sure how much I will use the other two though, I may try BE today but not really a fan of the music upon preview. Liking Perfect 10 too, that was a good purchase.

I will probably buy Getting Better but still thinking about it. That may be it though. I have enough DVDs and am actually planning another purge. But thanks to the floorwork on Margaret's DVDs I don't really think I need my standalone lower body floorwork DVDs anymore.

I hear you though, I bounce back and forth too. I was actually comtemplating buying a couple Cathe DVDs after not buying any of her stuff for years. I was comtemplating Total Body Trisets and STS Total Body, but I think I have talked myself out of them. It just goes to show that you never know!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:27 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkee View Post
What you you recommend to start with for someone who has never done any of Margaret's workouts

Thanks in advamce
Hi Sharon....

I started with her All My Best DVDs. Each workout is around 30 minutes and they are compilations of her workouts. You get Margaret in all sorts of different outfits and hairdos, but I think it's a good sampling of her work. It helped me decide which of her other workouts to get.

Lots of people like her Unplugged DVDs which are very similar to her TV show that airs/aired on PBS, I have never tried those myself though.

She has some newer DVDs, like the Spark and Good for You. She has clips on her website as well as descriptions, there are also reviews on VF as well which I have found very helpful.

I did see somewhere that she will be releasing another compilation DVD called "My Body of Work" which may include footage from her more recent DVDs. Not sure when it's coming out but it could be in the nearer future.

Hope I have helped some. Hopefully others will chime in as well.
Old 07-19-14, 08:31 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Oh this does sound great!

You bet! Although if you miss it, don't despair, she seems to have sales pretty often. This is a mighty good one though.
Old 07-19-14, 09:07 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Hi Julie...I have the All My Bests, but now that I have collected/am collecting more of the DVDs not sure I really need them anymore. I may get rid of at some point. But they were very helpful in deciding which of Margaret's DVDs that I wanted.

I am glad that I purchased the Classics DVDs, they are worth it alone for High Voltage and 40/Fabulous. Not sure how much I will use the other two though, I may try BE today but not really a fan of the music upon preview. Liking Perfect 10 too, that was a good purchase.

I will probably buy Getting Better but still thinking about it. That may be it though. I have enough DVDs and am actually planning another purge. But thanks to the floorwork on Margaret's DVDs I don't really think I need my standalone lower body floorwork DVDs anymore.

I hear you though, I bounce back and forth too. I was actually comtemplating buying a couple Cathe DVDs after not buying any of her stuff for years. I was comtemplating Total Body Trisets and STS Total Body, but I think I have talked myself out of them. It just goes to show that you never know!
Hi Tara, thanks for your feedback! I'm wondering since I have so many of her individual DVDs if I need the All My Bests.

High Voltage and 40 and Fabulous were the two that I did from the Classics also (and I didn't even do them in their entirety). Haven't tried the others, but for those two alone I thought the purchase was very worth it (I got it on sale).

I have Getting Better and it is especially a great option if you have feet issues, but also just an all around great full body workout.

I am back to Cathe after a long break too. I guess I just crave variety. I am finding my muscles can tolerate her a lot more since I have let myself go at my own pace and not feel I have to match her weight. I can actually walk this week.

Old 07-19-14, 09:19 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post

The Body Bars come in a variety of weights. Margaret uses the 12 pound bar for upper body and 9 pound bar for lower body. I love my Body Bars and use them instead of a barbell because they are evenly weighted and easy to hold. I have them in various weights. They work great with Les Mills and Cathe workouts. For Raising the Bar, you could use a regular barbell, without plates. This is not a barre workout although some of lower body is done standing with the Body Bar used as added resistance, like for outer thigh raises.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 09:20 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkee View Post

Thanks in advamce
Sharon, Tara has a good point about the All My Bests. I kind of wish I would have started out that way. I really like the format of Muscle and Grace, which offers separate Upper and Lower Body workouts, which are just under 30 minutes if I remember correctly. There are two people doing the workouts with Margaret and all three are showing different modifications for the exercises. It also has a separate stretching chapter program. All of her DVDs are chaptered nicely.

Tags
body bar, bodybar, margaret richard, margaret richard sale