Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-14, 01:51 PM  
mtngoat

I'm 57, and am generally fit. I have been working out consistently since I was about 20.

Until an injury earlier this year, I worked out 5-6 days/week for 1-1.25 hours/day at an advanced level. I love high impact!

My injury put an abrupt end to that love affair. I have now changed my workouts to Margaret Richard, ART, some yoga. I have added back some Cathe and old Jaris. Physically I am loving this new style of working out, mentally/emotionally not so much. I need my stress release!

I gained some weight during peri-menopause. Since last month I am offically in menopause. I have lost all weight gained and then some! I am the same size I was in the 1990`s now.

The past two weeks I have been painting (scraping, sanding, brushing, tack-clothing, priming, and painting) our fence. 10-11 hours days with constant ATG squat to standing, ATG squat to standing, ATG squat to standing, well, you get the picture. I have done this with no aches or pains! I think that is a good indication of functional fitness.

eta: Well, OK, my feet have been killing me. But a few minutes with the yoga-toes at night has helped relieve that.

Jeanne Marie - congrats on your good race times! Love your photos, and reading everyone`s inspirational stories.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 07-11-14 at 01:56 PM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 03:15 PM  
shoegoddess

60 years old here 2 years until Social Security
I do hardcore workouts most of the time. I'm on Block 3 of Body Beast right now. I do a lot of Cathe (weights and cardio), Turbofire/Kick, Combat. I also do Cathe and Toby Massenburg step. Love Ignite. I love heavy lifting and seem to have better results with that then low weight/high reps. I'm getting more into Fusion type stuff. love my new PiYo set and Michelle's BodyFit 360 is the bomb (to quote my granddaughter) the last few months I have gotten into Barre also. I workout 7 days a week. Rest days make my crazy. I take one a month. I get comments all the time on how in shape I am. Love it! I can't imagine myself not working out. It's in my DNA. My mom did Jack LaLane when I was little. I remember coming home from school and she would be doing hydrants or leg lifts in the living room. She said I would "workout' with her when I was 3.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 04:50 PM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

It boggles my mind sometimes to think that I'm almost 57...where did that time go?

I am curious to know of others out there in this age group and what workouts keep you in shape. How often do you workout? thanks for any info you can give.
Genevieve, fun thread! I turned 57 a couple of months ago, and I feel the same way -- wasn't it yesterday that I turned 30?

I work out pretty hard, and I have been in the best shape of my life for the last 10 years without declining. I like to mix things up -- right now I alternate Tonique's latest workouts (love to love ATM and love to hate FF), Cathe's Imaxes and Hiit (or Toby Ignite), Dreambody and Tracy Anderson or Yin Zone. I also add in Horizontal Conditioning here and there and the back and arm work from Cathe's FlexTrain a lot. In addition, DH and I walk our Pyr between 3 and 5 miles most days.

I have done STS and Body Beast and some kettle bell stuff, and I will do more of the like again, but right now low weight high rep really clicks with me.

I can be a little creaky and achy at times, to be sure -- lately my left shoulder (I have named "her" TA lol) complains when I make it lift more than 4 pounds lol. Interestingly, Tonique's handstands have actually made my shoulder feel better--go figure!

I am embarrassed to admit that when I was a teenager, 57 seemed *so* old -- but all of you women in this thread vibrate with youthfulness and vitality in so many ways.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 06:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I did gain some weight around menopause, but it went away.
please share how it managed to go away! and anyone else with that experience!

i'm 51, but pretty much do what y'all are doing (tons of walking, N.E.A.T movement, yoga, instant meditation). i'm realizing how yoga has had such a positive impact on my well being.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 06:57 PM  
jackier
VF Supporter

Another long time lurker of vf that turned 56 this year. I do 10 mile and half marathon races and thank goodness I have no joint issues! Even though BAD knees run in my family. I work out consistently at the gym (spin, yoga, ART method), at home with Cathe. I started yoga a year ago and ART 6 mons. ago and that was the fine tuning I needed to do for more flexibility and increased strength. The core and back strength I get from doing those 2, have made me stronger and able to do more difficult workouts easily. And I gained 10 lbs during menopause and no matter what I did, could not get rid of it. And then a year later, I weighed what I did before I had 5 kids. It was the weirdest thing. Apparently it was the same for my mother because she kept saying just wait a year. I LOVE that there are so many women around my age able to be so fit and active!
jackier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 08:50 PM  
trimgal

in shape at 58

I am 58 and love working out. Can't do alot of high impact or running, but do strength training, walking and cardio. Should do more stretching or yoga. I weigh less than when I was a teenager and enjoy feeling strong. Almost every woman I know my age doesn't exercise on a regular basis. Hopefully, I can keep on keeping on for a long time. No injuries, just occasionally sore joints. Arthritis runs in the family, but I'm not going to be a couch potato like my mother!
One thing I stopped doing is looking in the mirror and comparing my arms or thighs to when I was younger. Now I say "pretty good for 58". This body has birthed 3 children and had other things, surgeries, etc. I am grateful for my healthy body and will work at keeping it that way.
Amy
trimgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 10:39 PM  
Genevieve M

All I can say is 'wowee-wowee-wowee-wow!!!

It is great to hear so many of us making working out a priority in our lives! You are all awesome!!! Love hearing of different approaches and experiences. Thank you so much for your responses.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 11:06 PM  
rhbrand

My sister is 56 and Crossfits with me. She kicks my butt in running, but I outlift her.

She has gotten her squat from 100lbs to 150lbs, her deadlifts from 100lbs to 175lbs.

She didn't start Crossfit until she was 55.
Old 07-12-14, 01:18 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I've enjoyed reading this thread!

I'm 58 and I usually work out 6 days a week. I love strength training, Ballet Beautiful, Classical Stretch/Essentrics (and other stretching dvds), barre, and some of Tracy Anderson's workouts. I lift weights 2-3 times a week, usually using Jari's Ripped & Chiseled and Margaret's Sculpture. Lately I've been exploring yoga. I'd rather take a beating than to do intense cardio. I wish I loved intense cardio but I don't.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:54 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I find it interesting that some people feel working out is just a normal part of life and others probably never even consider it. As someone else said, other than VFers, I don't know anyone that works out on a regular basis. Wait, one person.

I've been working out since high school. I don't know what got me started. I had my morning routine of donkey kicks, scissors, sit-ups, etc. On the other hand, my sister is 2 years younger and has never worked out a day in her life - that I know of. My friends don't get why I'd go on girl trips to work out (Cathe trips, Firm trips, fitness conferences). That type of stuff just isn't on their radar. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As I said, I don't know how it happened, but I'm so glad I somehow got started on this path.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, inspiration, older, over 50, vintage vfers