Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-14, 09:38 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Question Which kettlebell workout?

I'm torn - there are two really good sounding Kettlebell workouts I'd like, but at $39 each, I'm limited to buying just one (for now).

One is new - Kettle Jitsu Revolution DVD with Joey Alvarado. It looks intriguing! I watched the previews on totalfitnessdvds and I like what I see. Seems like maybe several workout options?

Then I've also got my eye on Lauren Brook's Kettlebell Body. I have other Lauren Kbell workouts and I really like her.

So........which one do I buy? Any reviews or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:35 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Joey's has eight different workouts and if you receive his emails, it is often on sale for less, but only for the people who receive his emails.

I haven't yet tried any of Joey's, but have previewed them. Each one has a core section, a body weight section, and a kettlebell section. Laura's are all kettlebell and there are three workouts on hers.

HTH some.
Old 03-11-14, 11:38 AM  
starbelly

Are you averse to downloads? You can get Kettlebell Body as a download for $25.99. There are 3 different workouts of 20 -25 minutes each so it is a good value for the money.

I don't know anything about Kettle Jitsu, but I looked at the website and it was $49.99. It says it is an 8 week training plan although that might mean that it has a My Mad Methods sort of matrix that reuses segments. The Shadow Jitsu DVD is a 6 week plan but has only 4 workouts. His Combat Kettlebell is also a 6 week plan with 3 different workouts. I like his style, but his workouts tend to be short. Just some food for thought.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:40 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I'm torn - there are two really good sounding Kettlebell workouts I'd like, but at $39 each, I'm limited to buying just one (for now).

One is new - Kettle Jitsu Revolution DVD with Joey Alvarado. It looks intriguing! I watched the previews on totalfitnessdvds and I like what I see. Seems like maybe several workout options?

Then I've also got my eye on Lauren Brook's Kettlebell Body. I have other Lauren Kbell workouts and I really like her.

Thanks in advance!
I love Joey but his new KJR is not entirely a kettlebell DVD. 8 workouts, with abs, body weight exercises and some bells. I wish he would've added more kettlebells!!!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 03:14 PM  
DawnMarie

I like Lauren's video. I haven't seen the other one.

Lauren's has 3 workouts and I really liked all 3 and she also has a warm up that I thought was fun as well.
Old 03-11-14, 03:27 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post

Thanks in advance!
I know nothing of the Kettle Jitsu, but I love Lauren's workouts to death, however, I like this one the least. It's nothing like her other offerings. It's tough, and there are 3 workouts, but they are ladders and could very easily be done from paper workouts.

hth

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 03:35 PM  
Sissy B

Lauren will occasionally send out emails offering sales on her DVDs, usually a percentage off (the amount may vary). Of course, it may still be worth it to get it from Mary (if you decide on this one) since she offs a 10% discount and it would qualify for free shipping.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 04:16 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

So many choices! Still pondering - but I thank you all for your input. I'll keep reading - hopefully more will post.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 05:06 PM  
sciencelady

I don't have either video, but from clips I've seen of Joey's video, it involves a lot of fast getting up and down off the floor and rolling around on the floor with and without kettlebells - great if you have a MMA interest, but not so great if you have painful stiff joints . Lauren's workouts typically are more traditional kettlebell exercises with more deliberate movements up and down off the floor. With Joey's workout I feel the cardio comes more from you moving your own weight (KB stays on the light side), the cardio from Lauren's is from moving the kettlebell (you can go heavier). These are more my impressions, so take them with a grain of salt as I don't have these videos.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 05:32 PM  
starbelly

Kettlebell Body is different from Lauren's other workouts in that she puts more of an emphasis on strength. There is a conditioning aspect of course, but it's not as prominent as it is in the UBS&C workouts. I have been really digging The Grind workout followed by the Finisher from the second UBS&C. It's under 30 minutes (plus my own warmup and cool down) and a great workout. I tend to use Kettlebell Body when I can't push myself to a finisher. I like having it in the rotation, but it isn't my favorite.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote