Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-14, 08:47 AM  
Jeanne Marie

That is odd. I received the email notification with a nice (long ) post from rad. Now it's gone.
Old 07-21-14, 09:59 AM  
Alyluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
That is odd. I received the email notification with a nice (long ) post from rad. Now it's gone.
I received the email too and came over for the post and it's gone!

Hi Jeanne Marie. It's me, Alexandra, from HE. Hope all is well!
Alyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:44 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

It boggles my mind sometimes to think that I'm almost 57...where did that time go?

I am curious to know of others out there in this age group and what workouts keep you in shape. How often do you workout? thanks for any info you can give.
Not me (yet), but there is a woman at my Crossfit gym who joined when she was in her 60s - I believe she is 64 now, and she kicks serious butt. Crossfit is HARD, and she's right in the mix with everyone.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 02:42 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyluna View Post
I received the email too and came over for the post and it's gone!

Hi Jeanne Marie. It's me, Alexandra, from HE. Hope all is well!
Hi there Alexandra! I didn't know you were here. All is well with me, and I hope the same for you!
Old 07-21-14, 06:33 PM  
Alyluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Hi there Alexandra! I didn't know you were here. All is well with me, and I hope the same for you!
I've been a member of VF for about 13 years! I used to be more active on here but with work and other obligations, I don't have much time to post (although I still visit at least once a week).

So good too "see" you!
Old 07-22-14, 01:29 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Haven't been on VF much for a quite a long time. I'm SOOO inspired by all of you posting to this thread, and I feel so NOT alone!

I'll be 55 next month, and I've been working out to videos for 23? years. I get up at 4am to be able to work out before going to my job. I started by working out to early morning Denise Austin TV shows while the kids were asleep. I found the FIRM, Cathe, Collage, Beachbody and VF to keep me going over the years.

I have changed my workout style and type many times, but over the past two-three years, I have settled into what keeps my energy and stamina up, while keeping the weight from getting out of control as I've gone through menopause. Not as much variety in my workouts as in the past, but that's OK.

I now run 5 miles and do a long stretch 3 times a week, do high rep/low weight lifting one day a week, and do a "metabolic" HIIT/weight workout one day a week. I also work my core and walk my dog as often as possible in between. It seems to be working for me. I don't have aches and injuries as often as when I concentrated mostly on strength building with heavy weights and doing step for cardio. And the weight is a LOT easier to keep in check without the heavy weightlifting making me so hungry!

I hope I can keep this up forever, even through retirement (6 years from now is the plan)!

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 10:26 AM  
Alyluna

I just realized I had that exchange with Jeanne Marie and never answered the OP question.

This is a great thread. So many amazing and inspiring women!

I'm only 46 but in my mind I feel like I'm 30 (except in the morning upon waking and when sitting for long periods....I feel stiffer than a board)! I've been exercising since I was about 24. However, since hitting my forties, I've cut back on the amount and type of exercise I do because I don't recover like I used to. When I was younger I worked out 6 - 7 days per week and did more cardio (used to love running) than strength but now I exercise about 4-5 days per week and my focus is on strength training. I generally strength train 3 days per week (full body) with 1 or 2 days of cardio, usually a step or dance DVD and sometimes a short high intensity DVD like Cathe's X10 but modified because I can no longer do high impact stuff. Well, I can but then it takes me about 5 days to recover!

Anywho, I plan on continuing to exercise in one form or another until I breath no more.

Tags
aging, inspiration, older, over 50, vintage vfers