Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-11, 07:18 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loric View Post
I'm looking mainly for stress relief, & help with mood elevation wouldn't hurt either. If you know other KY vids to be more in line with what I'm looking for, let me know!
"Peace of Mind in Stressful Times" by Sat Jivan Singh is wonderful. Sat J. is an old-school kundalini yoga teacher, very mellow and gentle, and the yoga set is terrific. I learned it in teacher training as 'Stress set for the adrenals and kidneys'. There are 3 meditations to choose from and the deep relaxation is done with a gong, which is fabulous, and the music is by Snatam Kaur. When I am frazzled, this is one I reach for frequently.

This same set is done by Maya Fiennes on her first DVD (Kundalini Yoga to Detox and Destress). I like Sat Jivan more than Maya, but it's a personal preference. Many people here really like her, and I think her DVD is available on Netflix.

I would also recommend some of Nirvair's DVDs--on 'Morning Stretch/Evening Relaxation, the evening set in particular is very gentle and the morning set is a nice way to sort of ease into the day. One of his that I do a whole lot is 'Heal your back now' which is a really gentle set to do anytime, not just if your back hurts. Nirvair is lovely, but you shouldn't expect Ravi/Ana production values. He's the real deal, though. Neither of the DVDs I mentioned are 90 minutes; I think the evening set is about 20 minutes and 'Heal your back now" might' be 30-35 minutes.

I would agree that 'Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh' would be one to rev you up and probably improve your mood. She's legendary. One thing to note is that she offers no modifications whatsoever, so be sure to listen to your body. Despite the advice to 'keep up!', make any modifications you need. This is one DVD that I definitely would advise to preview first, so you can see the exercises and mentally make any modifications before you actually do the set.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 07:50 AM  
Loric

Wow thanks so much for the great advice! I will look into all of the above suggestions (ok & probably buy them all :-0). What a neat group of people this is! I appreciate you sharing your experiences.
Lori
Loric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 09:27 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
Loric,

If you don't mind a fairly vigorous practice, I highly recommend Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh. It is very different from the Ravi and Ana ones but totally lovely. She engages you completely so you have no choice but to shut off your brain and go for the ride.

The only thing I question is whether this practice would be too energising for night...
I will second this. In Paris pointed me to this one recently, and I did it for the second time this morning -- absolutely love the way it makes my body feel. This is the only kundalini I have ever tried. I'm excited to try more -- I'm going to get the Maya Fienes (sp?) one from netflix soon, hopefully. I'm so thrilled you guys have this thread going because it's opened up a whole new world of fitness for me (well, I have In Paris to thank hugely, too).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana brett, gurmukh, kundalini, kundalini yoga, mary, maya fiennes, nirvair singh khalsa, ravi singh, raviana, www.totalfitnessdvds.com