Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-11, 04:20 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Nirvair moved to New Mexico because he is now the head of the Kundalini Research Institute, based in Espanola, NM. New Mexico is beautiful, but boy, what a change from Alaska! Nirvair and his wife had been living there since the very early 1970s.
Yes, I noticed he had been in Alaska for a long time. I guess they adapted, but it sure is a change! No more skiing, at least not regularly.

I love Nirvair and wish he would make more dvds.
Old 03-20-11, 05:45 PM  
Suzan66

I loved reading this thread! I have gotten away from KY lately and need to get back to it as well. I do mostly Ravi & Ana but I do like Dr Gabrielle Pelici's dvds although she is more athletic. I did 30 min of KY yesterday and today. After reading this I've decided to commit to at least 15 min a day for the next few weeks to see if my attitude changes. I get terrible PMS. A few years ago when I was on a "staycation" I did 10 straight days of KY and barely had an appetite. I recently bought an elliptical so between that, KY and trying out some Ballet Body downloads I think I'll have plenty to keep me busy.

I love reading how people get results with doing KY alone..
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:36 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Yes, I noticed he had been in Alaska for a long time. I guess they adapted, but it sure is a change! No more skiing, at least not regularly.

I love Nirvair and wish he would make more dvds.
So do I. Simply a wonderful teacher. So encouraging and gentle. I use his book more than any of the other kundalini yoga books I have. One of the people I teach is someone who is a bit older than I am (she will be 60 soon) who was intimidated by hatha yoga classes. She took to kundalini yoga right away--I think because she saw that extreme flexibility isn't necessary for lots of the postures. I use Nirvair's book when I teach her and modify when she needs it, and she loves the sets.

One of Nirvair's videos (maybe Kundalini Yoga for Athletes?) shows him skiing, accompanied by the family dog.

When I first got into kundalini yoga, I lost a few pounds without trying. It definitely did something to jumpstart my metabolism--I'm thinking it was breath of fire and postures that stimulated my thyroid.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 04:47 AM  
akaAnnie

How long do you have to do it and does time of day matter? I don't have an hour every day and the only time I have is in the evening, would it still "work"?
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 07:40 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
How long do you have to do it and does time of day matter? I don't have an hour every day and the only time I have is in the evening, would it still "work"?
Despite the propaganda that early morning is the best time to do yoga, I practice yoga after work, when I get home, and it's fine. I already get up at 5 AM and have no intention of getting up at 4 AM to do yoga; plus, I am quite stiff in the morning. Whenever you can do the practice is the best time. If you do a really intense yoga practice of any type at night, there is a possibility that it might get your energy levels up high enough so that you have trouble sleeping; if that is the case, then select a set that is not intense.

About the length of the practice--from what I gather, a lot of people here do a 15-20 minute segment from one of Ravi and Ana's DVDs every day, and that works fine. If the idea is to build a daily practice, short yoga sets might well be what keeps you consistent.

One of my teachers in my KY teacher training used to say, 'there's the ideal, and then there's reality'. Realistically, most people simply can't carve out 60-90 minutes daily for yoga or any other type of exercise, and that's the reality, and saying stuff like, 'you could if you really wanted to' is counterproductive, in my opinion. Doing short practices or short workouts is the way many, many people manage, and a consistent practice of short yoga sets is better than a long one every now and then. The benefits build over time, and consistency is key.

Although not a kundalini yoga teacher, David Swenson designed his Yoga Short Forms practice--3 practices (15, 30, and 45 minutes) of postures taken from the Primary Series of ashtanga yoga--in order to make the practice do-able for more people. David feels that shorter practices are just as legitimate as longer ones, and I agree completely. I have done David's Short Forms for years and love them. I don't have the time or the strength to do the whole Primary Series; his modified practice is just fine for me. Ravi and Ana's 'short forms' is what keeps lots of people on track in their kundalini yoga practice, and I think that's great.

HTH.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 03-21-11, 07:57 AM  
Cecelia

Quote:
About the length of the practice--from what I gather, a lot of people here do a 15-20 minute segment from one of Ravi and Ana's DVDs every day, and that works fine. If the idea is to build a daily practice, short yoga sets might well be what keeps you consistent.

One of my teachers in my KY teacher training used to say, 'there's the ideal, and then there's reality'. Realistically, most people simply can't carve out 60-90 minutes daily for yoga or any other type of exercise, and that's the reality, and saying stuff like, 'you could if you really wanted to' is counterproductive, in my opinion. Doing short practices or short workouts is the way many, many people manage, and a consistent practice of short yoga sets is better than a long one every now and then. The benefits build over time, and consistency is key.

Although not a kundalini yoga teacher, David Swenson designed his Yoga Short Forms practice--3 practices (15, 30, and 45 minutes) of postures taken from the Primary Series of ashtanga yoga--in order to make the practice do-able for more people. David feels that shorter practices are just as legitimate as longer ones, and I agree completely. I have done David's Short Forms for years and love them. I don't have the time or the strength to do the whole Primary Series; his modified practice is just fine for me. Ravi and Ana's 'short forms' is what keeps lots of people on track in their kundalini yoga practice, and I think that's great.

HTH.
What an inspiring and encouraging post. And especially helpful coming from a kundalini yoga teacher.
Thank you!
Cecelia
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:21 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecelia View Post
What an inspiring and encouraging post. And especially helpful coming from a kundalini yoga teacher.
Thank you!
Cecelia
I absolutely agree!
Sat Nam!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:26 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I wanted to add too - although I do add segments of my Ravi & Ana dvds to other workouts, I found I feel the best and get the best results when I do their (or any other yoga) workouts from start to finish, in entirety. I agree people should be encouraged to try yoga and not overwhelmed by feeling they 'must' do 90 minutes at a go. I guess the longer sessions just take me further into a stillness so I notice the benefits more.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 11:05 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayTaylor View Post
I wanted to add too - although I do add segments of my Ravi & Ana dvds to other workouts, I found I feel the best and get the best results when I do their (or any other yoga) workouts from start to finish, in entirety. I agree people should be encouraged to try yoga and not overwhelmed by feeling they 'must' do 90 minutes at a go. I guess the longer sessions just take me further into a stillness so I notice the benefits more.
Great post, and I do agree. My point in talking up shorter practices is so that people would feel encouraged to do them on a daily basis and not feel like they couldn't have a practice if they didn't do something long each time.

Old 03-21-11, 03:08 PM  
akaAnnie

Thanks Betsy and Tuesday!
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana brett, gurmukh, kundalini, kundalini yoga, mary, maya fiennes, nirvair singh khalsa, ravi singh, raviana, www.totalfitnessdvds.com