Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-11, 09:55 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I did the Balance & Joy premix earlier this week (along with the warm up, tune in, deep relaxation, prayer, and amazing minute breath meditation) and felt wonderful. I also got the best nights sleep I've had in a long time.

I used to do Kundalini on a regular basis, but gradually drifted away, and would like to restart.
I almost always did the whole DVD when I used Ravianas or the others I have, so time was a problem. I'd like to try adding a segment here and there, and see how it works out. So, if anyone starts a check-in, I'm up for it!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 09:59 AM  
Cassy

I think this will be a great experiment as most of us want to

1 - reduce stress (and stress eating)
2 - lose weight
3 - do in combination with other workouts
4 - do a little each day versus over an hour

I'm excited to have this thread and new check-in as I just was going to try this and now I have people to compare notes!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 10:34 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Wow, Nirvair moved to New Mexico. How different from Alaska! I wonder what that's been like for him.

Betsy, can you tell us how long the sets in Nirvair's book are? I know you said to work at your own pace, but maybe just a general idea? I also love KY but find it hard to fit in because of everything else I do. I could probably fit in some of Raviana's shorter sets but you make it sound as if that wouldn't be beneficial?
Old 03-19-11, 11:01 AM  
hotncmom

I have a couple of Classical Stretch segments from youtube so I'm going to throw those in as well. And TA Mat unweighted arms.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 11:46 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Hi! I'm just chiming in here ... I started doing kundalini yoga every single day back in fall of 2010. I have done yoga in various forms off and on for years but always passed up regular daily yoga in favour of what I perceived to be MORE calorie-burning effective workouts.

Believe it or not, I gained about 15 pounds during half - marathon training and was never able to shed it. I would do 60-90 minutes of cardio plus weight training plus sports -nothing helped. In fact I just continued to gain. So, I sort of assumed, my body just wanted to be this weight.

Then, as I said, in fall 2010, I started doing Ravi & Ana workouts - daily. Because I LOVE them! The music, the exercises, the sets, the flawless production, etc. - I love.

Like others said, I noticed I was eschewing sweets and other indulgences. I naturally preferred to eat less and much more healthy. I was content to eat more raw salads during the cold Canadian winters. And I started to lose weight.

I've now lost about 20-25 pounds. I don't notice a radical difference in my temper or calmness but I do notice I'm more focussed and aware of my inner voice. Part of the daily Kundalini involves meditation and chanting. The meditation is calming and pain-relieving. The chanting helps me breathe better. I think the daily singing (chanting) is beneficial. I even notice I can hold notes longer when I sing.

So many benefits!

If I strive to do kundalini every day (no matter how little - it helps), I receive the fullest benefits. If I miss a few days, I notice an immediate change in my eating. I find myself drifting towards heavier meals, more servings, more wheat, dairy, meat.

I definitely think it's a wonderful form of exercise. It's been lifesaving for me as arthritis in my feet has made even walking difficult.

I think the main thing is to realize you can benefit from this form of exercise. People tend to think heavy intense cardio and weightlifting is going to yield the best results but it's not so.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 11:48 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

frozen shoulder - ooh, i dislike frozen shoulder. I had this issue too - due to carrying around my sons, no doubt. Classical Stretch and various shoulder opening exercises in Ravi & Ana helped tremendously.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 01:03 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Ugh! Amazon just informed me that my order for the two newest RaviAna DVDs was undeliverable for some reason and they are giving me a refund. They tell me I will have to re-order; however, now I've lost the initial low price and the free shipping since I had bundled the DVDs with something else. I'm not too happy with Amazon lately.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:12 PM  
megananne

Sharon, I'm sorry about your experience!! Ugh, so frustrating!! I usually have great luck with amazon, but I'm sorry you aren't lately.

Hey y'all...I started a check-in! Please come join me if you'd like. Here's the link:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...32#post1768232

Hope to see you all over there!!

"You earned this stretch. Not the cake - just the stretch" JAC in Core Foundations
megananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 08:57 PM  
lorajc

Good thread. Gosh, I REALLY need to follow your lead and incorporate more yoga. I'm going thru menopause (perimenopause technically) and I'm severely anxious and depressed and constantly feel like I want to rip somebody's face off.

It's hard to fit it all in though!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:21 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Wow, Nirvair moved to New Mexico. How different from Alaska! I wonder what that's been like for him.

Betsy, can you tell us how long the sets in Nirvair's book are? I know you said to work at your own pace, but maybe just a general idea? I also love KY but find it hard to fit in because of everything else I do. I could probably fit in some of Raviana's shorter sets but you make it sound as if that wouldn't be beneficial?
Nirvair moved to New Mexico because he is now the head of the Kundalini Research Institute, based in Espanola, NM. New Mexico is beautiful, but boy, what a change from Alaska! Nirvair and his wife had been living there since the very early 1970s.

The sets in Nirvair's book range from 10 minutes to about 45 minutes--there are also brief rests between exercises. Each exercise has a stated time element--and the time given is the maximum. You can always do an exercise for less time than is stated. A class consists of the tune-in, a warm-up, the actual yoga set, a deep relaxation, and a meditation. So a class might be 90 minutes but only half of the time might be the actual yoga set. Since most people don't have 90 minutes to spend on yoga, what can be done is to simply select a short set for the yoga portion of the practice. When I teach I will often use a very gentle, short set for the warm-up, and then a longer set for the "actual" yoga part of the class, so we are actually doing 2 entire yoga sets. Sometimes I will teach a class where the yoga set itself is quite short because I've selected a lengthy meditation to do and/or I want to have a really long deep relaxation because of a sense that the class needs that.

The really great thing about doing yoga on your own is the freedom of choice that you have. Short set, long set, short meditation, long meditation ... it's all up to you, the time you have, or the physical, emotional, or energetic issue that you want to work on, and the choice of music (or none at all) is yours also.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana brett, gurmukh, kundalini, kundalini yoga, mary, maya fiennes, nirvair singh khalsa, ravi singh, raviana, www.totalfitnessdvds.com