Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-09, 11:11 PM  
Tonia682

Question Splitting or breaking up Slim Series

I really like Slim Series. I just don't have 55-80 min. to workout at a time. Do you think if I did half of a DVD one day and the rest of the DVD the next day that I'd get similar results as if I did a whole DVD each day. i want to pull them out but thought of a whole Slim Series DVD workout daily is too much. If anyone is doing this please share your experiences.
Much thanks!!!
Tonia682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 04:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

slim series is not easily "half-sied," (doing the 1st or 2nd 30 minutes, skipping every other chapter, etc.), unfortunately.

she has the Slim Series Express (which is 30 min apiece) and Slim in 6 (25-50 min workouts) and Keep It Up (45 min w/out the add-on abs segment "slim in 6 pack"). people who do SSex or the short ones from Si6 notice it is not as intense and possibly not as effective as SS. even Burn It Up from Si6 is very much like a SS workout in length and intensity, and Start it Up and Ramp It up are shorter in length but more like the SSex workouts in intensity.

therefore, i think that to address your "effectiveness" question, the sheer length & sequencing of the SS workouts is what makes them effective.

i used to do half of the 80-min workouts on one day (40 min) and add a 20-min walk. but i was doing the slim training rotation (back to back SS workouts day after day, basically), which pretty much had me sticking to the rotation as prescribed.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 07:18 AM  
Tonia682

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
slim series is not easily "half-sied," (doing the 1st or 2nd 30 minutes, skipping every other chapter, etc.), unfortunately.

she has the Slim Series Express (which is 30 min apiece) and Slim in 6 (25-50 min workouts) and Keep It Up (45 min w/out the add-on abs segment "slim in 6 pack"). people who do SSex or the short ones from Si6 notice it is not as intense and possibly not as effective as SS. even Burn It Up from Si6 is very much like a SS workout in length and intensity, and Start it Up and Ramp It up are shorter in length but more like the SSex workouts in intensity.

therefore, i think that to address your "effectiveness" question, the sheer length & sequencing of the SS workouts is what makes them effective.

i used to do half of the 80-min workouts on one day (40 min) and add a 20-min walk. but i was doing the slim training rotation (back to back SS workouts day after day, basically), which pretty much had me sticking to the rotation as prescribed.

Excuse if this seems silly but when you did half one day and walked did you do the other half the next day or the same day? I have the whole Slim brand of DVDs but SS really brought forth the changes I needed(changes in arms and thighs. Thank you for your response.
Old 05-10-09, 08:58 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I've never done Slim Series without halving it -- well, maybe I did a couple all the way through when I first fot the series. There's one (I think Tear it Up?) that doesn't split so well, but the others are pretty easy to split.

ETA: I've only used them in a rotation manner once -- and split them. Now I just use portions when I think I need them.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 05-10-09 at 08:59 AM. Reason: afterthought
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 09:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I shorten Slim Series all the time. Sometimes I do half one day and the other half the next day. Sometimes I'll just skip certain segments to make the whole workout shorter. I can't actually speak to the effectiveness of this method, since I really never do a rotation anyway, I'm always mixing up different workouts each week. I do like the definition I get when I'm doing more Slim Series than anything else. All that being said, for maximum effectiveness, jeanine is probably right and the sheer length and sequencing will probably give you maximum results.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 09:29 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I love Slim Series, too (not Slim in 6 of SS Express though). I agree - I just can't spend that much time in the morning exercising. Unless I get up at about 4 AM, I only have 45 minutes max.

I do agree with bzar that the workouts are designed to give the most benefit doing the entire workout at one time. However, I think that any exercise you do is beneficial. I try splitting them and see what happens.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:45 AM  
cardiomama

Tone it Up, Firm it Up, Mix it up & Cool it Off are about an hour long each, and could be split into half workouts. Tone it Up & Firm it Up have a standing section and floor section that are about 30-37 min. for each section. Mix it Up does not divide that evenly into upper & lower body sections, but you could still do half the workout. Cool it off splits well into halves. I did a 6 week Slim Series rotation and mostly rotated these 3 SS workouts (the full hour), and added in Tear it Up (83 min. long) sometimes. But towards the last week would only do the floor sections of Tone it Up & Firm it up because I really enjoyed those sections, and the standing sections are heavy in the squats & lunges which I was getting burnt out on doing.

I think that if you do half of the workouts, most sections are sequenced well enough to allow for a good workout in halves. Keep in mind the standing sections have more of the cardio effect because of the weight & compound exercises used, while the floor section is more strength (exercises are harder because you just fried the while body standing up). I think that you will need cardio added into your week, on alternating days because 1/2 of a SS workout will not be enough for that cardio effect of a whole workout.

You could do splits that somedays use the standing section, floor section or half of the workouts, but I think mixed in w/ cardio, and depending on your goals (focus on upper body, lower body or total body splits).
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 12:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia682 View Post
Excuse if this seems silly but when you did half one day and walked did you do the other half the next day or the same day? I have the whole Slim brand of DVDs but SS really brought forth the changes I needed(changes in arms and thighs. Thank you for your response.
before i start - thanks to those who replied about where they shortened it - if possible, could you post a thread in the rotations/chaptering forum? i went there first to see if anyone had already addressed this idea - which are good ideas, since this question comes up a lot (this and the SS music alternatives).

i only halved the 80-min ones, and i did the other half the next day.

your 2nd sentence - the SS lengths are what made it effective for me to get results. i'm almost inclined to say that SS is practically a magic pill if you do it as directed. however, there may be others who can chime in on whether shortening it gave them results - so far, i haven't read any.

i think if you're short on time, go for CLX. they're all 45 min or less, and there's lots of variety.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 12:54 PM  
videofit

I was quickly scanning the titles of the threads to see if there were any I had missed and read this as "Spitting Up Slim Series." I thought it was a new puke in a bucket workout!
Old 05-11-09, 07:32 AM  
Tonia682

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I was quickly scanning the titles of the threads to see if there were any I had missed and read this as "Spitting Up Slim Series." I thought it was a new puke in a bucket workout!
LOL!!!!

Ladies I thank you for everyone's opinion. I definitley know that if you can do a whole tape that would be best but at this time I really can't put in 50min. I teach so maybe in a few weeks this will be a moot point , but, I really wanna start SS this week. Bzar,I have CLX and have been doing it but I feel like I have been gaining weight( my d*** has been consistent and at first I thought I was cooky but someone else on the thread has mentioned it also so maybe its not just me...) I have enjoyed it but I feel like I want a change and I did like SS except for the time factor. Once again, Ladies thanks you sooo much for your input...keep it coming

Tags
beachbody, breaking up, debbie siebers, slim series, splitting