Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-09, 08:46 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemack
And that Susan Boyle You Tube video? STREAMS of tears.
Although I didn't cry, I liked seeing that clip too (although I got to thinking about the early reactions to her--and how we would either not know about her at all or see the clip as an object of ridicule if she couldn't sing well).

If Susan Boyle reneged on her promise not to get a "makeover" and showed up in an infomercial with a cookie-cutter Perfect Body, then I'd really cry.

Edited to add P.S.

Not that I'm not a sap at times either: there's a modern-ish story written like a fairy tale, written by a famous author, that always makes me tear up. I just now realized that the main characters are thrown away because they are no longer considered desirable (of course, their true worth doesn't depend on how they look).

And no, it's not "The Velveteen Rabbit," where the rabbit is thrown away for quite different reasons, but thanks to the realization that I've never actually read that story in its entirety, I decided to look. The University of Pennsylvania has it online, and this part, about becoming "Real," jumped out at me:

Quote:
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 11:05 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseylu8
I agree with both of these statements!!!

Also, from my experience, the producers of the infomercial did not try to make us cry but it was an emotional experience. Being surrounded by a group of people for days on end (other infomercial participants) who have all been through the same things made it even more emotional.

Lindsey, were you in the infomercial?

Beth
Old 04-21-09, 05:53 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I guess I have no heart and I'm cynical when I see participants of infomercials crying, when I know that the companies are just trying to push their products. Seems silly and unnecessary to me no matter how big the accomplishment. What makes me cry however, is when I see or hear about animals being hurt or mistreated. There......I can cry just thinking about it!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 08:21 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia
I guess I have no heart and I'm cynical when I see participants of infomercials crying, when I know that the companies are just trying to push their products. Seems silly and unnecessary to me no matter how big the accomplishment. What makes me cry however, is when I see or hear about animals being hurt or mistreated. There......I can cry just thinking about it!
You and I are of the same mind.

Am I the only one who avoids infomercials like the plague? Once I hear that certain tone of voice, I change the channel, it makes me cringe. I hate being "sold" something. I'd only know about beachbody by the comments made here.
Old 04-21-09, 09:34 AM  
JezthePuff2

I'm not much into the crying scene unless something is sad. Reaching goals doesn't make me cry, it makes me happy. Yes, I know there are "happy tears," but I personally don't get them.

I've never been much of a Chalene Johnson fan (although I love CLX), and her "crying" on the Turbo Jam was a TOTAL turn-off to me. Not because I'm uncomfortable with crying but because I saw it as completely fake.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 11:50 AM  
lindseylu8

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighttrain
Lindsey, were you in the infomercial?

Beth
I was in the Firm Wave infomercial (a very short speaking part) It was an awesome experience and everyone left super motivated. I think the majority of the women (and 1 man) went home and really cracked down w/ exercise and got in even better shape!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 11:52 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
From what I've been told by people who have appeared on the infomercials the interviewers actually try to make the interviewees cry, so clearly they believe it helps them sell better.
That's the same with many 'reality' TV show interviews: they are being asked off-camera something that makes them tear up.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 11:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44
I'm a sap and tear up along with them.
My DH, he's ok with most of them but he couldn't take Tony tearing up in P90X infomercial.
Edited to add, it may have been the 10 minute trainer. Which one does Tony get all misty eye in?
Maybe Tony was having an allergic reaction to his pancake make-up.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 08:47 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseylu8
I was in the Firm Wave infomercial (a very short speaking part) It was an awesome experience and everyone left super motivated. I think the majority of the women (and 1 man) went home and really cracked down w/ exercise and got in even better shape!
very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Beth
Old 05-03-09, 08:40 AM  
donellda

I was in an infomercial for Denise Austin several years ago that was only aired once or twice. When I was filming my testimonial, I felt like the producer was trying to get me to cry. I didn't cry and my actual part in the infomercial was only a few seconds. The few women who actually did cry had much bigger roles in the infomercial (even though it only aired once or twice). So I guess that is what sells fitness videos (if they sell)
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach body, beachbody, infomercial, testimonial