Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-09, 12:09 PM  
F1mom

Question About Beachbody Infomercials

Why does someone always have to cry?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:14 PM  
ladysaraii

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I just want workout info, before/after pics, and results

July 08 Cathe Road Trip
ladysaraii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:37 PM  
mspina

Have you no hearts, women?

You just have to remember that these really are REAL people, many of whom have overcome huge obstacles to get in the shape they got in for that "after" pic. They may have been seriously overweight their entire lives, and struggled with all the emotional crap that results from that. Now they are so fit they are on TV? Come on, that's HUGE! Of course they are going to cry when they tell their story.

And I think you guys are in the minority - I bet the tearjerkers are the ones that bring in the most orders. But that's just a guess..... of course I could be totally wrong.

But this is all coming from a woman who still gets choked up every time she crosses a finish line in a race, and I've raced plenty. I guess I'm a big sap.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:48 PM  
Alan

From what I've been told by people who have appeared on the infomercials the interviewers actually try to make the interviewees cry, so clearly they believe it helps them sell better.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:01 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Do they make Chalene cry for the CLX infomercial, like they did for the Turbo Jam one? That always used to crack me up.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:15 PM  
ladysaraii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina

You just have to remember that these really are REAL people, many of whom have overcome huge obstacles to get in the shape they got in for that "after" pic. They may have been seriously overweight their entire lives, and struggled with all the emotional crap that results from that. Now they are so fit they are on TV? Come on, that's HUGE! Of course they are going to cry when they tell their story.

And I think you guys are in the minority - I bet the tearjerkers are the ones that bring in the most orders. But that's just a guess..... of course I could be totally wrong.

But this is all coming from a woman who still gets choked up every time she crosses a finish line in a race, and I've raced plenty. I guess I'm a big sap.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for people who achieve their goals of getting in shape (seeing as I'm still on the journey)

I just think I'm a bit more stoic about somethings. Or maybe it's seeing it in a infomercial makes me a bit more cynical b/c the companies selling products.

But I most likely am in the minority (I usually am for a lot of things)

July 08 Cathe Road Trip
ladysaraii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:20 PM  
lindseylu8

Quote:

I agree with both of these statements!!!

Also, from my experience, the producers of the infomercial did not try to make us cry but it was an emotional experience. Being surrounded by a group of people for days on end (other infomercial participants) who have all been through the same things made it even more emotional.

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:22 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
I have a heart, somewhere around here.

If it were just one informercial, or one every once in awhile, I don't think I'd be quite so cynical. But it seems that in each infomercial, with 15:22 seconds left to call in, someone cries. Then one payment is knocked off. Then comes the free bump to expedited shipping.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:46 PM  
westiemack

I'm on the "sap" side with Michelle and Lindseylu. I tear up listening to their stories and I don't even know them!! Some of these people have never had the energy to run or play with their kids due to their weight. That makes me tear up just thinking about it.

And yes, I tear up at commercials too. And that Susan Boyle You Tube video? STREAMS of tears.

Kathy
sap extraordinaire

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:54 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemack
And yes, I tear up at commercials too. And that Susan Boyle You Tube video? STREAMS of tears.

Kathy
sap extraordinaire
Me too! I remember a loong time ago there was a series of telephone commericals that followed these 2 men and the 1 girl they loved throughout their lives...cried my eyes out!!!

Tags
beach body, beachbody, infomercial, testimonial