Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-20, 09:33 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 5/3-9: Flower Moon Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 09:48 AM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

This month's full moon is on May 7 and is known as the Flower Moon. So appropriate! I've mentioned in previous threads that my daily Aimless Walks are mostly through neighboring suburban tracts. Sounds like it should be boring, but I enjoy seeing how people do their front yards. Right now many of them are especially pretty with all the roses blooming!

During our shelter-in-place I've been mainly walking outdoors daily, as it appeals to my spirit as well as my body -- and I certainly have the time as I am not working. Besides, in a matter of weeks, (1) the weather will turn too warm for my comfort level for outdoor exercise, and (2) I hope to return to my library job. Returning to work is going to be interesting, as things will be very different both during the phased reopening and also long-term.

In addition, I've just received Classical Stretch Season 13 on DVD so I am working through those episodes (only 18 of them in this season).

Anny: CS Season 13 is filmed in Bermuda, which I believe is a new setting for Miranda. So it is still tropical and beautiful, but different!

Be back later -- waving to all!

Old 05-03-20, 01:17 PM  
cyana

Happy May

Today:
weights - on my own
MFML - Easy Hips 1 - Leila Sadaghee
MFML - Meditation: Intimacy With Being Here - Mimi Kuo-Deemer

Working on getting weights back into my life on a regular basis as I've been quite erratic and my strength has most assuredly taken a hit. I've also been spending long hours at the desk, and decided this would be a good time to revisit Leila's Easy Hips Series.

In happy news, my turmeric plants poked out of the dirt a couple of days ago and that always makes me happy to see them wake up from their long winter's nap. Now to impatiently wait for the ginger to do the same.

I noticed last week there were comments about errors trying to post - I've run into that a lot lately.

Sandra - Thanks for getting us started. That's good news about your library system starting to make plans for reopening. I'll be interested to hear your continued reviews on CS Season 13. I've toyed around with doing the 14 day trial of the streaming, but in reality I'm working such long hours I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, so I'll tight for now. Hmmm....must check the weather forecast. While today is sunny and beautiful, rain will likely be the forecast for the 7th, since Mother Nature really likes to send me clouds for the full moons!!

Must get some things ticked off the to do list this afternoon before my week-end slips away. Waves to ALL. Hope everyone is well.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 03:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, thanks for the start! The CS Bermuda setting sounds very nice.

Cyana, I could see how the plants could lift your spirits!

Here was my week:

Monday
The Firm Express (YT) - Cycle 4, Cardio Overdrive with Kelsie
Tracy Campoli (YT) - Best HIIT for Women
Alignment Snacks - Backbone is connected to the other Back Bones

Tuesday
30MTF Build & Burn - premixes: Kickboxing no kettlebells; Lower Body Mix Two
Ekhart Yoga LIVE (YT) - Finding Resilience Together
Essentrics (YT) - Hip Stretch for Hockey
Total Body Solution - Lower Body

Wednesday
Shakti Yoga (online) - Morning Wake-up with Heather
DocJenFit (YT) - Grateful for Mobility Day 4; Day 6

Thursday
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Strong Shoulders #2
Dianne Bondy (FB) - Day 6, Booty Challenge
Ekhart Yoga LIVE (YT) - Finding Resilience Together
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Stretch & Strengthen Your Neck

Friday
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Hips 90-90
DoYouYoga (YT) - Juicy Yoga Twists

Saturday
HDM (YT) - DMW Secret 4a
LIVE Grassroots Yoga with Molly (Yoga170)

Sunday
30MTF LIFT - Workout #2, Supersculpting
Charisma Yoga Bar (YT) - Yoga to Encourage Openness with Krista

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 07:11 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

I enjoyed a LAW on my own this morning, then a SAW with my niece and grandniece this afternoon.

Today's Workout: Classical Stretch episode 1303. So far I am really liking Season 13!

Cyana: How nice your garden is waking up!

Beth: I'm impressed with all the interesting YouTube workouts you find!

Waving to all!

Old 05-04-20, 11:07 AM  
Garrie A.

Happy Monday afternoon!

Here was last week for me:

Sunday:
Michelle Dozois' BodyFit 360 (the first one; this was a fun bodyweight strength fusion workout done barefoot)

Monday:
Michelle Dozois' Peak Fit System: Pure Strength 1 (this was a nice metabolic strength workout although I didn't exactly love it)

Tuesday:
30 minute Mow Max

Wednesday:
KCM's Muscle Up (all upper body work)

Thursday:
Cathe's Legs & Glutes (first time; liked it although I will use heavier weights next time)

Friday:
Cathe's Kick, Punch & Crunch

Saturday:
Rest day

Yesterday was another 30 minute Mow Max. I'll be back with personals in a few minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 11:25 AM  
Garrie A.

Sandra: Thanks for starting us off this week! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Season 13 of Classical Stretch. Last week my bookstore manager called saying she still plans on hiring me on the 26th (as of now). My boss at the rec center has been filming videos on her Facebook page, and I had to be a part of one today (filmed at the park). She told me that until the stay-at-home order is lifted in Virginia, the center will remain closed (even if non-essential businesses begin to reopen). The governor is supposed to speak later today.

Paine: So sorry you're not finding brown rice. I saw you did one of Tracie's newest (Signature Series 1) but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Carolyn: I like that mouse pad!

Anny: I like workouts filmed on a beach, too.

Beth: Hope you had a great birthday!

Cyana: That's nice your garden is growing!

Waves all around!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 09:02 PM  
YogaGal

I finished my last grading assignment on Friday evening. But I am still working remotely on some other library projects this week until the official end of the semester on May 7.

Workouts last week:

Monday: Jessica Smith’s YT Single-Sided Strength and Sarah Beth’s “15-minute Morning Yoga Flow”

Tuesday: Jessica Smith’s Dance Walk from dvd of the same name and Sarah Beth’s 10-Minute Yoga

Wednesday: KCM’s Your Best Body, #1 without Rests in the morning and then Rodney Yee’s “Soothe and Stretch” from Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief dvd in the evening with DH

Thursday: 2-mile walk in neighborhood with DH followed by Sarah Beth’s “15-minute Yin Stretches for Tight Hips, Inner Thighs, & Groin

Friday: Jessica Smith’s Cardio Core Fusion Flow on YT and Kundalini Yoga with Mariya’s Prevent Lung Problems

No workout on Saturday but on
Sunday DH and I got up early and went for a LAW (3.77 miles, or is that a MAW? It took just under 1.5 hours) on some walking trails nearby.
Old 05-04-20, 09:17 PM  
YogaGal

Paine: Sorry to hear about your problems with trying to post last week and getting the 500 error message. And hopefully you will get some brown rice soon; hope you are enjoying some quinoa and farro, or other grain of choice. The two stores where I usually get my unsweetened soy milk have been out, but a store further away supposedly has it, so when I get close to running out I may have to go there if the closer stores don’t have it back in stock soon.

Sandra: Flower Moon sounds so pretty. That’s great news about your library being one of the two that will “open!” I’ll be interested to hear the processes and procedures for your working once you get back to it. And congrats on receiving your Classical Stretch Season 13 as an early Birthday present.

Anny: I don’t miss my commute either, but working at home, I’m often getting distracted by some quick job that needs to be done around the house, so I don’t feel that I’m really saving a lot of time. Your cool weather is starting just as we are heating up in my part of the US.

Beth: I heard in a meeting last week that we will have no on-campus classes next Fall. Probably a smart decision, but I’m curious what that means for the library: no hours open, some type of curb side service; limited hours? I’m sure we’ll learn more in the coming months. The uncertainty is causing me stress as well. I had to LOL at the name of the Pilates workout, The Girl with the Pilates Mat.

Garrie: How cool that you got to be part of an exercise video filmed at a park! My DH is now saying he wants a new mouse pad, so I may have to find one he will like and place another amazon order.

cyana: Glad to hear your garden is growing. I need to research if there are any vegetables to grow during the summer in the desert. Probably not! I enjoy doing weights. I burn out on cardio quickly; I like the way my body feels when I lift weights (from light to medium-heavy) regularly.
Old 05-05-20, 06:50 AM  
Anny

Sandra thank you for starting us off this week. The Bermuda background in CS must be beautiful.

cyana I hear you about the weights. At the moment I am counting on some of my yoga to build strength with bodyweight practices.

Carolyn I enjoy Jessica’s Cardio Fusion Flow from YouTube.

Garrie good news about the bookshop. And I’m guessing you are enjoying the Michelle Dozois workouts. I’ve had a few odd workouts with Michelle and appreciated her cueing.

Beth I remember quite liking Firm Express workouts. I ended up giving them away as I didn’t do them as much as I thought I would. I might search for that one on YouTube.

Today was Day 15 of my current 31 day yoga challenge so I’m counting that as halfway. I’m enjoying the different practices, some more vinyasa based, most hatha yoga and an occasional restorative practice thrown in. I am also continuing my daily walks.

Next week I am back on campus for three days a week, probably not full days, as Australia plans a gradual easing of some restrictions. Students are still not on campus.