Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-13, 09:43 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I know weight size is different for everyone, but I work out from home and the heaviest dumbbell I have is 15 lbs. Would this set work for me with that weight? Or maybe I should ask for those who made great strength gains, how heavy did you go?.
Probably a better way to judge it (and better than Rachel's weird "weigh your purse" criteria) is - do you start feeling fatigue at around 8-12 reps on your hardest lift?

so try it with a deadlift, or squat, which for many people is the heaviest weight they need. If you don't feel much at that range, it's too light. If it feels like you are starting to fatigue, but you could probably do another rep or two - and then another set or two, it's probably fine (but you're likely to outgrow it quickly).

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 09:46 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
And do you think the dvd's are a better way to go than the book? I can't believe I'm even thinking about this!
Personally, I can't do book workouts. The book also assumes you have access to a gym and so uses a TRX for some of the exercises. The DVD assumes you're working from home, so just uses dumbbells and a step. I suppose it really depends if you're the type of person who can follow paper workouts. I'm not, so I knew I needed the DVDs.

I agree with others that there is some degree of inefficiency in DVDs, though, so the nice thing about following the book is you can go at your own pace.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 09:54 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Personally, I can't do book workouts. The book also assumes you have access to a gym and so uses a TRX for some of the exercises. The DVD assumes you're working from home, so just uses dumbbells and a step. I suppose it really depends if you're the type of person who can follow paper workouts. I'm not, so I knew I needed the DVDs.

I agree with others that there is some degree of inefficiency in DVDs, though, so the nice thing about following the book is you can go at your own pace.
Thanks -- I can only do paper workouts so long and then seem to get bored with them. I do with dvds, too, but it usually lasts a bit longer. I am like you in that I have finally relaxed about the aesthetics -- I'm not quite sure why I am suddenly interested in this!!! Silly me.....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 09:57 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

It's the peer pressure of VF!! Hahaha! This is why it's nice that it's so cheap. Really, you'll probably spend less on D2S than you do on coffee at Starbucks this month, so that's why I took the plunge. I definitely appreciate that the set was so affordable. I wouldn't have bought it at it's full price when it was released. I'm just not that into heavy lifting that I'd want to invest a significant amount of money in it.
Old 12-11-13, 10:01 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Nuggie's Auntie, I agree I don't really want to invest in more equipment -- no room and no money. It sounds like I can still get some benefit from it though. Thanks for your thoughts. Looking forward to that blog post on the overabundance of fitness toys. LOL.

Sophie, that's a great idea to experiment with the weights I have for 8 to 12 reps and see how I feel. I'm definitely going to try that out. Thanks so much!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 10:07 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

The heaviest weights you'll need will probably be for the suitcase deadlifts, where you lift a heavy weight on one side like a suitcase. I looped a towel through the handles of 2 of my kettlebells. You could probably also use an actual suitcase, full of heavy stuff.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 10:15 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Sue, great job! Congrats! Thanks for sharing the photos.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 10:18 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Sue, that's great! And I'll bet you're strong as an ox!
Old 12-11-13, 10:20 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Looking forward to that blog post on the overabundance of fitness toys. LOL.
I'm sure it will be comforting to VFers and incredibly alarming to the rest of my readers.
Old 12-11-13, 10:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the great, informative replies!

One of the main reasons I'm drawn to D2S is that is very modern in it's methodology. I've been reading a lot of pre-hab, rehab and functional fitness books lately (Dan John's Intervention, Bret Contreras Strong Curves, Goodman's Foundation Training, Mike Robertson's Bulletproof Knees, etc.) and Rachel has incorporated many of the exercises and moves in the books. Almost all the rehab gurus, including Katy Bowman, Sue Hitzman (M.E.L.T. Method) and Cassidy Phillips (Trigger Point Therapy) are highly recommending foam rolling. Many recommend glute activation exercises like clamshells and glute raises before a workout to prepare the muscles for lifting.

At 58, I find a good, long, functional warm-up is essential for me.

I have a lingering arm injury (elbow tendonitis [supposedly]) that I need to work around, but of all the sets I've bought recently, D2S looks like the best one for me to start soon.

Again, thanks for the helpful replies!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, foam rolling, rachel cosgrove, ramp warm-up, warm ups, warm-up