Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-14, 07:55 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

leg cramps

For the second morning in a row I wake up with this horrible cramp in my left calf. Its like my leg is giving birth to something! Even after the cramp is gone the muscle is still sore all day. Anybody else had this?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:00 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
For the second morning in a row I wake up with this horrible cramp in my left calf. Its like my leg is giving birth to something! Even after the cramp is gone the muscle is still sore all day. Anybody else had this?
I get those in my feet sometimes. I think it's a sign that I'm dehydrated or low in potassium so I drink water and eat a banana and that takes care of it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:07 PM  
mlroman

Hubby gets those a lot. V8 is his secret weapon.

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:21 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlroman View Post
Hubby gets those a lot. V8 is his secret weapon.
V8 is high in potassium as are bananas and yogurt. In addition to a daily potassium supp I also try and eat at least 2 bananas a day. This keeps my cramping under control.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 06:33 AM  
horsemom2

Just a little tip which works for me
if a calf cramp strikes, pinch the area between your nostrils (yes the nose)

somehow this releases the cramp faster

applying Arnica gel will stop the tenderness following a calf cramp

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 06:54 AM  
froggy

Electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, and intense exercise are common factors. My son gets them a lot during football games. Stretching, massage, electrolyte replenishing/balance all help. We've used coconut water, EmergenC, pickles, and Gatorade. Will definitely try to remember the nose pinching thing for next time. I've never heard that one, but it sounds interesting. I've only had them during pregnancies, myself, and they are very painful. Hope you find relief quickly.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 02:07 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I've found both stretching and paying attention to potassium intake make a difference for me.

When I was younger I mostly got cramps in my toes but with age I now get them anywhere in my legs and especially at night - a trait I seem to have inherited from my mother. Mine are not dehydration but rather the opposite. I drink lots of liquids during the day so tend to lose a lot of potassium despite eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. The kidneys tend to waste potassium in exchange for saving sodium, which I really don't need them to do. I've found coconut water the most useful source of K+ and especially helpful if I have a small glass right before bed in addition to some during the day.

I'm also more than normally flexible but if I don't stay stretched out my leg muscles get tight and I'm more likely to get cramps and they're more painful. Once a muscle starts to cramp I find it really hard to stretch it. And, yes, the after discomfort can last for more than a day.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 07:08 AM  
andtckrtoo

For me it's a list of things:

1. Iodine - if I have enough iodine, I tend to avoid cramps. I add a sheet of nori seaweed to my shakes in the AM (or eat them plain)

2. Potassium - coconut water is amazing!

3. Hydration

4. Over exertion - when I really push myself, I sometimes get quad cramps (oh, that is not an experience I would wish on anyone!). But I have to truly exert myself - like climb a big mountain or ride a really long, hilly bike ride.
Old 04-14-14, 08:00 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nobody has said magnesium? It really relaxes the muscles -- everything. I take it in the evening because it makes me sleepy. Also, there is topical magnesium lotion you could rub into the effected area. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:10 AM  
Jewels5

I went through a phase about this time last year with horrible cramping in my inner thigh. Staying well hydrated has helped. But, at the risk of sounding ridiculous (), I am going to recommend keeping a bar of soap nearby (or even placing at the foot of your bed while sleeping) for those unbearable episodes when you are desperate for relief. It works! I'm not sure whether it's a certain brand, I happened to have Lever 2000 on hand, lol. Maybe there is magnesium in the soap? For all I know it's a placebo effect, but when you are desperate it doesn't hurt to try it. Deep breathing also helped get through the pain.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cramps