Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-13, 08:01 PM  
yahoo205

I'm starting my second week of Phase 3. Admittedly I haven't been eating well. When I saw my family recently (had last seen them when I first started), everyone thought I gained weight. Still, I think my eating is more to blame.

I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. I actually love full body strength so am thinking after I finish phase 3, I will do these workouts again. But, I will probably do only 2 workouts a week with (hopefully) FOUR sets as she suggests in the book instead of 3. I would do PHase 1 for 1 week, PHase 2 for 1 week, Phase 3 for 1 week. I will try to do that for 2 cycles and see my results. That way I am only repeating a workout in 6 weeks.

I don't think I can handle 3 days of full body strength. When I do that, I tend to not want to do any exercise on the other days.

Unfortunately I still can't get above 20-25 pounds for the single arm push press.

I swear I think Phase 3 is a little easier than PHase 2 but phase 2 had more plank stuff which I find hard. Also, since one of the exercisers (Negar?) did body weight Rear foot Elevated Split Squats, so did I. If I had done those weighted it would have been a lot harder. Also, the lateral lunge with overhead press is not as hard because I can't do more than 20 pounds for the overhead press. I could hand alot more weight in my lower body.

Also, still haven't progressed with pushups as much as I would like.

I really hope she comes out with another series (weighted AND nonweighted/body weight).
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 02:06 AM  
starbelly

I think that 20-25 lbs for a single arm push press is fantastic. I do less than that (8.5kg ~19lbs). Lifting weight overhead is not easy and you need to be careful with overhead work so as to not injure your shoulder.

Pushups are tough! I can plank all day, but cannot crank out many pushups. In phase one I had to rest and could not get 15 pushups (I got 14 on the last round). Like you, my legs are far stronger than my upper body. It will take time to even out and will likely never be an equal match.

If you know that your eating is not where it should be and you fix that, you would probably get to where you want to be. I don't follow the eating plan from the book because it is too low calorie (I would be hangry all.the.time) and because I am vegetarian and there are few meal options that don't involve animal protein. I felt like I got bigger in phase 1, but have started to slim down in phase 2 and I haven't changed my eating habits since I want my results to be maintainable with my real life eating. If you are upping your weights, you may be experiencing muscle growth. The metabolic workouts stimulate fat loss which lets your muscles show; without the fat loss, you get bigger.

The book offers the option to do a second metabolic workout (20 minute interval session) on Tuesdays-- assuming a MWF lifting schedule with metabolic on Saturday. The book also offers the option of lifting twice a week alternating the strength 1 and 2 workouts. Each phase would then take 6 weeks instead of 4 but if you are too tired to do 3 strength workouts plus other activities, cutting back may be a good option for you.

I hope that you get the results that you are looking for!
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 05:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yahoo, that's great that you're persevering with it, even though you're not quite where you want to be. I think it's worth finishing the rotation with more disciplined eating and seeing where that gets you.

I'm on week 6 and haven't really seen anything results-wise, but like you, I'm enjoying the workouts. As for the diet, I'm following it loosely but def. adding to it. It's fairly spartan, but it's a good jumping off point for me.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:44 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I finished the program yesterday, and here are my results:

Waist: lost 5 inches
Hips: lost 4 inches
Arms: no change
Sizes: dropped 2, 3 in some cases
Deadlift: went from 95# x 15 to 120# x 12
Weight: ????

I stuck with the diet plan (except for the supplements) until Phase 3, when it started to get pretty spartan (just veggies for dinner on some days) but it really helped me to get portions and especially snacking under control. I also did the RAMP each time, but stopped doing the pre-workout foam rolling because it was irritating my legs somewhat.

This is a fantastic program! I really hope Rachel comes out with a sequel, because there's nothing else like it.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:48 AM  
deineira

Wow, Sue, those are amazing results. Congratulations to you!!!!!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 08:24 AM  
Cecelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I finished the program yesterday, and here are my results:

Waist: lost 5 inches
Hips: lost 4 inches
Arms: no change
Sizes: dropped 2, 3 in some cases
Weight: ????

I stuck with the diet plan (except for the supplements) until Phase 3, when it started to get pretty spartan (just veggies for dinner on some days) but it really helped me to get portions and especially snacking under control. I also did the RAMP each time, but stopped doing the pre-workout foam rolling because it was irritating my legs somewhat.

This is a fantastic program! I really hope Rachel comes out with a sequel, because there's nothing else like it.
Congratulations, Sue! Those are fantastic results!
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 08:31 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Wow Sue... that was AWESOME results!!!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 08:53 AM  
dela

Sue, AWESOME results!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 09:59 AM  
Sophie

Congratulations Sue! My jaw is dropping at this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
How did you deal with grip? That is my limiting factor on deadlifts. Just, keep working on it? including farmer walks?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sue, that is outstanding!

I have D2S and have been wanting to start it. I have an arm injury that means I can't do it yet. I have done the foam rolling and RAMP several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
How did you deal with grip? That is my limiting factor on deadlifts. Just, keep working on it? including farmer walks?
Hanging from a pull-up bar helps with grip strength. I got up to about a minute with that. (Before the injury).

I recently bought those wrist bands with grip hooks, but I haven't tried them yet. My PT says to wait on the heavy stuff.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosgrove, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, finisher, grip strength, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, rachel cosgrove