Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-13, 10:42 AM  
yahoo205

Rachel Cosgrove Drop Two Sizes Results and weights?

I'm almost done with phase 1 and so far am stronger but not leaner (should clean up my diet). Actually, I'm a little bulkier. Anyone have any results?

Also what weights are people using? I'm squatting and lunging with 35 pounds now. Still haven't been able to go much higher than 15 pounds for the single overhead press.

I love that her workouts are designed as below. I think it's the best designed strength work and hope she comes out with something even more advanced. I do get a little bored with the third set sometimes.

FROM RACHEL COSGROVE:

At Results Fitness our average client works out 2-3 times a week for an hour at a time and we get all of the above done.

WARM UP
Start with a 10 minute dynamic warm up improving range of motion and flexibility. Walking on the treadmill to warm up is a waste of time because you are only moving in one plane of motion usually walking slower than you walked into the gym. Instead use stretches, foam rolling and dynamic movements in all three planes of motions to get your body ready for your workout while also improving your range of motion and flexibility.

POWER
Spend 10 minutes developing power, which should be a priority in every 21st century fitness routine. The research has shown that the ability to generate power is one of the first things we lose as we age. We have to train power as part of our fitness routine.

CORE STABILITY
Spend 10 minutes doing core stability exercises. The research has shown that crunches are not the most beneficial when it comes to strengthening your core and may even be detrimental. Instead strengthen your core doing stability exercises such as planks along with rotational exercises such as Chops as part of your fitness routine.

STRENGTH
Spend 25-30 minutes performing a full body strength training routine using compound movements and short rest periods to also put a demand on your cardiovascular system building your endurance along with your strength.

FINISHER
At the very end finish with 3-5 minutes of a cardiovascular demanding "finisher" getting your heart rate up and your metabolism boosted. This might be jump rope, body weight jump squats, mountain climbers or squat thrusts as some examples.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:00 AM  
twinkletoes

I just finished week 2 of phase 2 and I'm definitely seeing results (I've also cleaned up my eating and joined My Fitness Pal). I wasn't expecting to see much so I didn't record my weight or measurements when I started but I can definitely tell clothes are fitting better and people have asked me if I'm losing weight.

I use 20 or 25 for squats and 12 or 15 for overhead presses, 20 for rows. I sometimes increase the weights for the last round of each exercise.
Old 08-09-13, 11:30 AM  
momofcha

I'm an anomale, no results to speak of with this program. I really had hoped to drop a size as that was my goal. But nope.

I did just go back to CLX and I didn't lose any of my strength so there's that. I missed my defined shoulders and biceps. I like that look.

I was bored doing 3 sets of the same move, but once I got to phase 3, I did enjoy those moves a bit more.

I really liked the premise of this program, but it just didn't work for me.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 07:19 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I'm an anomale, no results to speak of with this program. I really had hoped to drop a size as that was my goal. But nope.

I did just go back to CLX and I didn't lose any of my strength so there's that. I missed my defined shoulders and biceps. I like that look.

I was bored doing 3 sets of the same move, but once I got to phase 3, I did enjoy those moves a bit more.

I really liked the premise of this program, but it just didn't work for me.
I didn't get any results either. I've had noticeable results from Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, Chalean Extreme, and The FIRM.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 08:26 PM  
nevertoolate

I really like this set. I'm in the 7th week, Phase 2. I like the slower, more deliberate pace of the lifting. For me at 64, it's less likely to result in injury. I also like that balance is incorporated into the workout. I've been doing it just as outlined, with the foam rolling and the ramp warm-up. I usually finish with the foam rolling again as part of my cool-down. I feel pleasantly wiped out at the end.

My weight is unchanged (I don't have weight to lose), but I do notice that I've firmed up some all over. I also feel stronger and more empowered. This set is working well for me. It doesn't require a lot of equipment or space. I definitely will do at again sometime, but will probably try some of my other sets first when I get finished with this rotation. I have Jillian Michaels Body Revolution waiting in the wings. I'm sure those workouts will seem short by comparison!

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 08:30 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate
I really like this set. I'm in the 7th week, Phase 2. I like the slower, more deliberate pace of the lifting. For me at 64, it's less likely to result in injury. I also like that balance is incorporated into the workout. I've been doing it just as outlined, with the foam rolling and the ramp warm-up. I usually finish with the foam rolling again as part of my cool-down. I feel pleasantly wiped out at the end.
Like you, I am following the workouts as outlined and adding a cool-down. My cool-down includes stretching and/or foam rolling. I also add cardio or stretching on off days. I will be finishing the seventh week, Phase 2 today. Improving balance is an important factor for me at my age of 72. What surprises me the most is that my neck and shoulder have not been bothering me despite the planks, pushups and assisted pullups. They had been bothering me with other workouts which had numerous shoulder, (biceps and triceps) exercises.

Last February I developed a herniated disc in my lower back which affected the front of my right thigh. The bridges and other back stretches are helpful for it. I would have had to do them separately if doing other strength workouts.

I have the dvds and book version. The book version includes a few TRX exercises which can be subbed for the dvd ones. Since I have a jungle gym, I have used them as well.

I don't follow the nutrition plan. My weight is unchanged and is not an issue. I do notice my legs are stronger and more muscular and have more definition than when I started. I had not been doing too much strength or cardio for a while after the disc herniation and lost a lot of my leg strength and muscular tone.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:33 AM  
MKEMom

I'm just finishing up the second week of Phase One. I'm using 20's for everything but the overhead press, where I use 15's or 12's. Next week I'm going to try 25's for some of the lower body work.

I'm only on the second week, so not too many results to speak of so far. I have noticed my waist seems slimmer and some of my pants feel a little better. I tried following her menu plan in the book and didn't like it. Way too few calories for me. On the off days I do step or walking.

I also really enjoy the structure of the workouts and feel fantastic when they're done. I especially like that core work is done first. I tend to be one who skips core work when it's at the end of a workout.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 12:43 PM  
GeekyGirl

Tomorrow I will finish week 2 of phase 1, and I swear I look a little slimmer through the waist and hips, and my clothes fit just a little better. II started off with lighter weights and have been increasing them every or every other workout, depending on the exercise. I'm going to have to buy heavier dumbbells very soon because right now the heaviest I have is a single 20 pounder, and I pulled out my 15's for deadlifts this morning.

Edited to add that I like the structure of the workouts and I like Rachel. Now that I've got the moves down I've been playing my own music, using the vocals only option on the DVD for the company. lol
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 12:53 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I usually start off with a 20-pound kettlebell for single OH presses, but I might drop to 15 pounds for the third set. For split squats or lunges, I usually hold the 20-pounder to my chest. I don't like to go too heavy on the split squats or lunges because they bother my knees.

I'm on week 7, phase 2 and really pleased with the fat loss I've gotten so far. I'm following the diet (except for the supplements). Cleaning up eating really is key.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 01:31 PM  
ellaenchanted

I'm on phase 2. I like the set but no noticeable results so far.

My quibbles (though I really do like the set!):

Arms are a bit neglected. I have lost some bicep definition. Also wouldn't mind if back and chest were worked a little more with a wider variety of exercises.

I use 20s for almost everything except overhead press (15). I think this is a medium weight, medium rep approach. I mean in phase 2, she has you doing 10 offset squats/suitcase deadlifts on each side per set. That's 60 squats at a moderate pace - not heavy lifting.

Also, I add in extra cardio because there just isn't enough in the rotation for me. I definitely do not burn sufficient calories w/ just these. Of course, you could just be extra careful w/ your eating instead.

Rachel's counts are off compared to the counter/timer. Not a big deal for me but I know that really bugs some people.

Inefficient time-wise. I think you get more done in CLX and JNL Fusion in less time. And that is without the warmup which tacks on an extra 10 or so minutes.

Also, I like that Rachel is chatty but I wish she would use the rest time to introduce the next exercise rather than blather on until the last 15 seconds so there is more set up time if needed.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosgrove, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, finisher, grip strength, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, rachel cosgrove