Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-06, 06:31 PM  
Starbrow

Tough strength-training videos without a barbell

I'd like to look into some good, intermediate-to-advanced upper-body and lower-body (separate, hopefully) workouts that DON'T need a barbell, tubing, resistance bands, rings, step, stability ball, or any other paraphenalia, just basic dumbbells. Almost all of the one's I've looked at (Cathe, Jeri, etc.) seem to call for a barbell, and I never know whether it's the kind of exercise where dumbbells can be substituted. I have access to equipment over the summer, but when I go back to college, all I have are light handweights and a step-stool. (That's all I have room for!)

What are your favorite strength-training videos that fit this criteria?
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 06:39 PM  
carole r.

Try the Firm, especially the newer ones, but some of the older ones use only dumbells. Even when they use a barbell, there is always an option not to use one and at least one of the background exercises not using one. I like Kathy Smith's Secrets of a great body. Just remember to vary the weight. She says "pick up your heavy dumbells" but they always show her using the same weight. I also like Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout. It is a little dated and it is high rep overload rather than low weight overload.
Old 07-02-06, 06:42 PM  
MariaKatherine

Actually, Jari's Slim & Lean is a good, tough, strength training workout that gives an option to use ONLY dumbbells. I believe that the same is true for Ripped to the Core.

Cathe's Legs & Glutes is another challenging workout, and it requires only dumbbells and a high step (and optional ankle weights). If you don't have a high step, you might not be able to do this workout.

Those are just a couple of workouts that came to mind, and I'm sure others are out there. HTH!

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
--Lee Iacocca
MariaKatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 07:03 PM  
MARIKA

P90 X

Awesome workouts & I believe no barbell. I never use a barbell. I even have a really nice one. I just use all my dumbells. It's so much easier I think!
Old 07-02-06, 09:48 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

As far as Cathe, the Pyramid Upper Body workout does not require a barbell at all and I often do not use a barbell on the lower body - I just go up in weight with dumbbells. Just a thought!

Also - Joyce (I'm thinking of Fast Forward since that is the set I have) Vedral doesn't use a barbell in Fast Forward and probably not in her other series, either.
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 09:52 PM  
bfit

Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight requires only dumbbells and a chair. It has 20 minutes of upper body, 20 minutes of lower body, and 10 minutes of abs.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 09:59 PM  
benemma

I never use a barbell for Ripped or Slim and Lean. I do use my step, but only as a bench to give myself room to move up and down.

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 10:19 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I second P90X. (You can always substitute 1-arm rows and pullovers for the pull-ups/chin-ups). Also, P90 Masters or Power Half Hour. Someone mentioned FIrm workouts, and the 'second wave' Firm (from "Tortoise" and "Hare" through the pre-Goodtimes era) include some very effective workouts, like "Firm: Strength" and "Firm: Cardio."

Also, don't feel that just because the workout uses a barbell, YOU have to use one. I can't think of any barbell exercise that can't be done using dumbbells instead, often more effectively (because you are working both sides of the body equally and not letting the stronger side pick up the slack for the weaker side, and engaging more stabilizing muscles). The advantage of a barbell over a dumbbell for squats and lunges is that it's easier to position and hold the weight, and you have to do some experimenting with the dumbbells to see what position works best for you (arms down at sides, hands held in front of shoulders in an 'exaggerated bicep curl' position, weights on shoulders---something they do a lot in the Firms, but which I CAN'T do because it hurts my shoulder bones!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 12:10 PM  
KathAL79

Another vote for just picking up a good intermediate / advanced workout and subbing in dumbbells instead of barbells. I don't have a barbell and don't really miss one. Cathe's Muscle Endurance is easy to adapt to dumbbells only, her Pyramid Upper Body only uses dumbbells to begin with, and pretty much all of her other ones can be done with just dumbbells, although some of her lower body workouts are more effective with the heavy weights that you can get with barbells.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 12:41 PM  
Kyra

I third the recco's for P90X. Actually I'm not sure why I'm posting, Kathryn pretty much covered it (and I second her Firm recommendations). Just go forth with dumbbells & don't worry too much about what the video lead is doing.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast forward