Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-20, 01:54 PM  
TracyQ

Stress and Weight

At my physical in August I weighed the exact same as I did at my physical a year earlier in August of 2019 and the year before that.

I retired (early at age 57) from a stressful job at the end of October 2020. I don’t regularly weigh myself at home but do so every now and then. This morning when I weighed myself I was surprised to see that I lost 7 lbs.

I have not changed anything about my diet and exercise routine (and actually ate a little more due to Thanksgiving). The only thing I can attribute it to is less stress in my life.

It kind of blows my mind that 7lbs would fall off without me even noticing.

I’m just curious, has anyone else experienced a weight loss after leaving a stressful situation?

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 02:11 PM  
Gams

I think it wouldn’t hurt to touch bases with your doctor. Unexplained weight loss can also be a symptom of a medical issue.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 02:58 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

In the medical field, often the weight is related to the stress, especially on the night shift.
Old 12-04-20, 04:15 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

TracyQ, I had the exact thing happen to me after I left an incredibly stressful job a couple of years ago. I lost roughly 5-10 pounds without changing anything diet or exercise-wise that I could put my finger on. I had heard that increased cortisol caused by extreme stress can wreak havoc, and I feel that was my issue. I felt a weight had lifted off me when I left. My weight loss also was over a month or so, so that's not dramatic I don't think.

I guess it couldn't hurt to check with your doctor, but I wouldn't call your weight loss sudden or unexplained. JMHO based on my experience.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 04:38 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
TracyQ, I had the exact thing happen to me after I left an incredibly stressful job a couple of years ago. I lost roughly 5-10 pounds without changing anything diet or exercise-wise that I could put my finger on. I had heard that increased cortisol caused by extreme stress can wreak havoc, and I feel that was my issue. I felt a weight had lifted off me when I left. My weight loss also was over a month or so, so that's not dramatic I don't think.

I guess it couldn't hurt to check with your doctor, but I wouldn't call your weight loss sudden or unexplained. JMHO based on my experience.
Wow that is so interesting. Now I really think it has to do with letting go of the stress from the job. I’m not one to go to the doctor unless it can’t be ignored. I feel great and just had a physical in August with a clean bill of health.

Thank you Gams, Shoftshoe and cataddict for your feedback.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 10:18 PM  
bfit

Is it possible that you are a bit more active now that you are not working? Even a little bit more activity makes a difference. If your job involved sitting maybe you are just moving around your house more now than you did when at work. Or maybe you're doing more house cleaning or working in your yard and those kinds of things. Also, what you eat may have changed. I remember gaining weight at one particular job I had because someone would always bring doughnuts to the break room, and I would always have a doughnut. I don't think I've had a doughnut since!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 10:24 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Is it possible that you are a bit more active now that you are not working? Even a little bit more activity makes a difference. If your job involved sitting maybe you are just moving around your house more now than you did when at work. Or maybe you're doing more house cleaning or working in your yard and those kinds of things. Also, what you eat may have changed. I remember gaining weight at one particular job I had because someone would always bring doughnuts to the break room, and I would always have a doughnut. I don't think I've had a doughnut since!
I was wondering the same thing -- that kind of movement can make a big difference added up.

For me, depending on the type of stress, it actually makes me lose weight because I just can't eat. Other types of stress make me eat more -- it just depends.....
Old 12-05-20, 12:58 AM  
prettyinpink

Little bits of movement more regularly can make a difference for me, but sleep can make a difference.

If you are getting better sleep along with less stress, or no longer being awakened in the middle of a sleep stage by an alarm clock, that can affect a lot of things.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 08:36 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

I agree with this. Stress has a big impact on weight and I strongly suspect letting go of that job stress is the culprit for your weight loss. Someone else mentioned sleep, you are probably getting better quality sleep too which helps.

Good for you on retiring from the stressful job, has to be a massive relief.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 08:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I can totally believe it's cortisol. I gained 10lbs in just a few months when my son started having seizures. My doc did a full workup and she chalked it up to stress, though I think it may have been a confluence of events (perimenopause, a little less movement because it was that crazy Boston winter when we had a blizzard every three days, which was in itself somewhat stressful!) I'm glad you left your job!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cortisol, stress