Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-20, 04:56 PM  
wendug

I started competitive swimming really young. Like, so young I don't even remember learning how to swim young. My mom tells me they really didn't have to teach me much, I just somehow already knew how to swim as a baby. Anyway, I was in competitive swimming up until I was 17 and had had enough (practice before school, after school, swim meets on the weekends, swam on a different team all summer long, blah blah blah) and I quit swimming. I actually had time to have a social life. So from 18 until I want to say age 26 I didn't officially exercise. I walked A LOT going to school at a huge university and worked in a restaurant which kept me active. Had a job selling furniture and ended up unloading trucks and moving big pieces of furniture on the store floor so that kept me quite fit. But it wasn't until I had an office job that my weight started creeping up and I started exercising to videos. Tamilee Webb, Kathy Smith, discovered the Firm and that started my vidiocy! I lurked here a long time before getting an account and posting, but VF was vital in jump starting my video obsession.
Old 11-28-20, 06:26 PM  
Mickey12

I never did sports in school and hated gym class. A co-worker was a gym member and she asked me to join with her. It was the mid 1980’s and we did aerobics in bare feet. I used the weight equipment a little but enjoyed the cardio more. We got club steps and learned how to do step aerobics. I also taped shows from TV like Charlene Prickettt and Gilad. I did those at home on days I didn’t go to the gym. I bought some Charlene Prickett workouts and gradually added more. I quit the gym and did exercise exclusively at home, joined the gym again, worked out at home which is what I continued to do and hope to continue to do for many years to come.
Old 11-28-20, 07:11 PM  
edensmom

I found my mom's copy of Jane Fonda's New Workout on a living room shelf back in high school. I think she grabbed it at a yard sale and never even did it once but I LOVED that videotape and I was hooked. I soon added the Cher fitness tapes, Claudia Schiffer's Perfectly Fit series, and Your Personal Best with Elle Macpherson and Karen Voight. Home workout videos really sparked a lifelong love of fitness in me.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 07:50 PM  
Daffie

I have always loved to run. In grade school I would ask other kids to race because I could beat 99% of them. In my mid teens I made a mixed tape so I could do a routine. I rode my bike a lot. Late 80s I got a Jane Fonda tape. I got FIRM Vol. 1 a few years after it was released. Have been collecting since. Exercise is been a daily thing for many years now. It feels as routine as taking a shower and brushing my teeth.
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 07:51 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I started going to a Jackie Sorenson Aerobic Dance class after I graduated and moved to a new city. It was taught in a local church and was a pretty big class. One of the legal secretaries in the law firm I worked at told me about it. A few years later I saw an ad for Volume 1 of the Firm and was intrigued by the use of dumbbells. The rest is history.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 12:00 AM  
fanofladyvols

I started walking in the neighborhood in college and doing the leg machine at my apartment's clubhouse gym. I walked just to get away and realize now it was stress relief because I would walk a really long time. I used that gym because it was empty and it was fun playing on it

Fast forward to job and young family. My job offered a voucher to join a gym so I did. The weights always had men there (eww..haha) so I never used. So all I did was step. There are times I still miss those classes and the teacher. Then work stress increased and I wanted to do something when I couldn't make it to the gym. I asked a friend who I knew exercised and she told me to go to kmart and gave me some titles to buy. They were Tamilee and Kathy Smith. I still went to the gym off and on but gradually I couldn't carve out the time to go. (I haven't been to a gym that wasn't attached to a hotel in years.)

My video collection grew after that friend gave me an extra collage catalog she had. I couldn't believe how much was out there! I remember her being amused at my reaction. I also remember recording episodes off of exercise tv(or was it fittv? ) with Gilad, Denise, etc. at some point...hmmm what channel was I recording? Wait, was it two channels? One on espn and the other was on lifetime? Anyone else have a foggy idea what I'm trying to remember?

Then my one and only infomercial purchase (Winsor Pilates) happened at some point.

Anyway, it wasn't until I bumped into VF looking for a review of a workout that my collection grew and I took my exercise at home REALLY seriously.

I will also mention that the friend I asked, said in all the years she had people ask her, that I was the first one she ever had that actually did what she said. She never seemed to own more than a handful of workouts even though she helped create a vidiot.

I still bug her from time to time even though we live so far apart now

And exercise seems to be what I have always used to manage stress.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 05:21 AM  
Helen

Videos for me started when I couldn't afford full fees (non-student) at the gym and having to add creche fees for twins when my girls were little. My mother had a couple of VHS and gave them to me. I'd been a gym junkie for a decade prior & ended 20 yrs of field hockey when pregnant so she knew fitness was important to me.

She had:
Leslie Tomanello (pre Sansone): Walk Aerobics & Advanced Walk Aerobics.
Maybe a Kathy Smith as well - possibly Winning Workout?
That was around 1999 (?)

Though that it was a great idea, stop/start as the girls needed attention, no leaving the house, no parking, ...

One thing led to another, eBay arrived on the scene, and Google shortly after. Looking for reviews after a few duds via eBay led me to VF - which was in 2005.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 09:47 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
EXACTLY! I started using exercise videos to take off some extra weight, but quickly learned that exercise is amazing for managing stress. That's why I exercise consistently now. I feel SO MUCH BETTER after working out!
Old 11-29-20, 11:11 AM  
laurajhawk

I was never athletic and hated gym class. I did take martial arts classes for several years as a kid and liked those. I never did "formal" exercise till I was in my 20s and DH bought "himself" a weight bench. I got a book from the library and discovered I really loved lifting! From there I went through a phase of jogging, stationary bike with the lifting, etc. I didn't try videos until I wanted to try yoga ... it was too hard to follow along with a book, so I got a Patricia Walden DVD at Sam's Club. I discovered VF looking for more yoga DVD reviews. My first non-yoga workout videos were P90X ... I was on the couch with DH and a P90X infomercial came on; I told him I'd heard good things (on VF!) and we bought it and did it together.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 05:12 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I started walking in the neighborhood in college and doing the leg machine at my apartment's clubhouse gym. I walked just to get away and realize now it was stress relief because I would walk a really long time. I used that gym because it was empty and it was fun playing on it

Fast forward to job and young family. My job offered a voucher to join a gym so I did. The weights always had men there (eww..haha) so I never used. So all I did was step. There are times I still miss those classes and the teacher. Then work stress increased and I wanted to do something when I couldn't make it to the gym. I asked a friend who I knew exercised and she told me to go to kmart and gave me some titles to buy. They were Tamilee and Kathy Smith. I still went to the gym off and on but gradually I couldn't carve out the time to go. (I haven't been to a gym that wasn't attached to a hotel in years.)

My video collection grew after that friend gave me an extra collage catalog she had. I couldn't believe how much was out there! I remember her being amused at my reaction. I also remember recording episodes off of exercise tv(or was it fittv? ) with Gilad, Denise, etc. at some point...hmmm what channel was I recording? Wait, was it two channels? One on espn and the other was on lifetime? Anyone else have a foggy idea what I'm trying to remember?

Then my one and only infomercial purchase (Winsor Pilates) happened at some point.

Anyway, it wasn't until I bumped into VF looking for a review of a workout that my collection grew and I took my exercise at home REALLY seriously.

I will also mention that the friend I asked, said in all the years she had people ask her, that I was the first one she ever had that actually did what she said. She never seemed to own more than a handful of workouts even though she helped create a vidiot.

I still bug her from time to time even though we live so far apart now

Lifetime had Denise Austin and Charlene Prickett and another show with a woman named Cynthia, can’t remember her last name. ESPN had Gilad, Body Shaping, Fitness Pros, Gin Miller’s Step workouts (can’t remember the actual name of her show). Exercise TV was renamed to Fit TV, I think. I could be wrong on that. I used to tape Crunch workouts from that channel I believe. Does that help?

Tags
first videos, first workout