Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-20, 08:37 PM  
pharma_gal

Is anyone still using Joyce Vedral workouts?

I have several Joyce Vedral workouts that are still shrink wrapped (I have more shrink wrapped stuff from several other instructors but that’s another story for another day lol). I am trying to pair down my collection. I’m thinking about trying the workouts before deciding to part with them. Do you think it’s worth it to try the workouts? I usually like Cathe’s and KCM strength workouts. Is it a waste of my time to try the workouts? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 10:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i am!

most recently, I did her Just Joyce series, and these, i find are great workouts. I've done most of her workouts that are in my collection save for a few - Speedy Non-Stop, Bathing Suit Workout, Non-Stop, and Cougar.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 10:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

I usually do try to use a trainer first before purging. Previewing alone doesn't really give the trainer a shot, IMHO. I will share what works for me to try different trainers and get through those 'new to me' workouts.

A LONG time ago Cathe said she loosely followed this template to stay in shape.
Cathe template:
Heavy for 3 weeks
Random workouts for 1 week
Light for 3 weeks (full body, circuit, metabolic)
Random for 1 week
(Rinse, repeat. )

(I have no idea if she still does this.)

I just basically focus on one style of training for 3 weeks, then alternate with a week of random. So depending on how you train with Joyce, she could fill one of these categories for 3 weeks , or she could be a week of random.
Hope that helps!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 08:47 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Timely question! I did Fat Burning workout 1 for the first time yesterday.
I thought it was pretty fun and enjoyed Joyce’s personality. I have several more of Joyce’s workouts that I bought on sale a while back that am now looking to do.

I have a ton of virgin workouts myself, don’t discard them until you’ve tried them.....I’ll bet there’s a few hidden gems!

Example - I bought the Baladea set a while back for cheap in spite of the terrible VF reviews. There were two fantastic workouts in that set that I do regularly! Totally worth the money, so definitely try your virgins and judge for yourself.
Old 10-11-20, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have several JV DVDs that I don't use very often.

One that I do use is Dynamic Tension.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2245

Joyce goes quite slowly (for Joyce) and one can heavy up.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 03:03 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Joyce was my main workout for sometime - say 15 years ago and I got great results. Lost a pant size in 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't toss them without trying them. Fatburning was flamed by a prominent VFer back in the day - and some of the form on the older ones (anything before Bottoms UP Gold +) can have issues but once she brought on her daughter I think the overall quality improved. I've kept nearly all of the Joyce workouts. I throw one in now and then to change things up. Just Joyce series is quite good. Bottoms Up Gold + was my first Joyce workout. I actually like both the non-stops when you want a quick to the point workout.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 06:23 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I don't have any of her videos, but I do have her book Definition which I bought before my VF days. It's been on the shelf, unused, for many years. Just last month I pulled it out again to start working on upper body strength. I have some limitations due to neck and shoulder problems and find many video workouts require too much modification and substitution.

The pyramid work in the book is very basic and doable.
Old 10-11-20, 09:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
Just Joyce series is quite good. Bottoms Up Gold + was my first Joyce workout. I actually like both the non-stops when you want a quick to the point workout.
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 2 non-stops - both are on tap for the next 2 weeks - it would be my first try on either one.

Yes, the Just Joyce series was pretty good. this was the first time i heard Joyce reveal what poundages she uses IRL - 12, 15 & 20.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-12-20, 01:00 PM  
Bebop

Hi,

I'm a vintage VF'r and Joyce was the first weight training series I used.

I have been alternating her with Cathe and the Firm through out the years.

I still use her workouts. Funny moment - I was doing one of her workouts and she says "I'm 60 years old" I'm scared. I didn't buy that DVD when I was 60 but now I am 60. LOL

Gym style pyramid still works - Cathe added the pyramid system as bonuses to her LITE series.

Last edited by Bebop; 10-12-20 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 03:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I was doing one of her workouts and she says "I'm 60 years old" I'm scared. I didn't buy that DVD when I was 60 but now I am 60. LOL

Gym style pyramid still works - Cathe added the pyramid system as bonuses to her LITE series.
i heard Joyce say that in her Just Joyce series - either the Thighs or the Arms workout.

thanks for the comment about the pyramid bonuses in Cathe's Lite series.

Tags
joyce vedral