Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-17, 12:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have a muscly physique from my gymnast days, and lifting heavy has done me no favors.

In my 20's I had awesome results from Firm Vol 2. That was it. I also taught "aerobics" in the health clubs.

I had my kids in my 30's and early 40's. Now that I am 50 , Essentrics, walking and the odd yoga or barre class has served me well. I recently dropped another 5 lbs from modifying my diet. This is the slimmest I've been since having kids.

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you do for a program. The key is eating whole foods, and daily movement. Stay faithful and you'll see "results".

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 01:09 PM  
neatski

It's depended on what my goals are, and what was feasible for me to do at the time. I agree with those on here who've talked about consistency, and I am also a big believer in periodization- once the body adapts, it's time to shake things up. For me right now, it's all about the time/energy investment vs the strength and aesthetic payoff. In that regard, I can exercise the least (20-30 minutes a day) and get solid results from a combination of HIIT and heavy kettlebells. I'm fairly certain that I would be happy with my results from a variety of things if I could invest more time, but I don't have the time to do an hour or more of barre3 every day, or some of the heavy weight programs that require a lot of equipment and time.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 11:50 AM  
Shelbygirl

I have achieved noticeable strength gains using Cathe's Strong & Sweaty series. Every time I try a different rotation, I feel like I lose a little ground, so I keep coming back to S&S.

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 12:13 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Add me to the list of folks with Classic Firm workouts working for them especially a few years ago in my early 20s. In those days I could be really lean without worrying too much about diet.

My other really successful rotation was primarily barre with Tonique, Dream Body, and Horizontal Conditioning as secondary workouts. This time it was in my late 20s-early 30s and I had my diet under control. I'm sure the diet played a larger part but the barre workouts also kept my appetite down.
Old 09-28-17, 06:26 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
I have achieved noticeable strength gains using Cathe's Strong & Sweaty series.
Shelbygirl
Happily, I found this also.
Old 09-28-17, 07:06 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Combo of Hot Yoga and Running worked best for me.

But I agree that almost anything that you stick with works, just takes patience and persistence.
Old 09-28-17, 12:07 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post

But I agree that almost anything that you stick with works, just takes patience and persistence.
Also, you can't discount your nutrition....the cold hard fact. Quality food in.

I turned 50 this summer and I just can't eat whatever I want anymore. Tweaking my nutrition was what really leaned me out.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 12:56 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

It is great to read all your posts. There are so many options for getting and staying fit. That is the wonderful thing about VF---we learn about new options all the time.

My fittest was when I did total body weight training with machines and free weights 3 times per week at the gym, and running 3 days per week. It was simple, straight-forward, but worked well. Now, I am interested in so many types of workouts that I mix it up much more. I am singing a concert in 5 weeks and need to get into high gear with my fitness training.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 06:21 AM  
Elsie

Like many have mentioned already, what helps to improve on my relative healthy and capable body is consistency, variety, challenge without hurt, and adequate rest times/periods. Adequate rest being the main thing that helps me see the change.
The things I cannot seem to go without are fascial stretching & massage and some resistance (weighted, suspension etc.) training. I do have a tendency to lose weight rapidly, look too thin and not keep excellent form when doing metabolic routines regularly, so I definitely have learned to limit those usually, even though they seem most popular.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 07:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
I do have a tendency to lose weight rapidly, look too thin and not keep excellent form when doing metabolic routines regularly, so I definitely have learned to limit those usually, even though they seem most popular.
I was thinking of adding a couple of metabolic workouts to my routine. Which ones do you use?

In answer to the OP, I agree it's consistency which gets me my best results. Several years ago I was walking daily for 45 to 60 minutes 7 days a week with some MR or KCM for weights and CF and I got in the best shape, lean and defined. Of course, changing my eating habits was key.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, body weight workouts, over 50, results, successful weight loss, weights only