Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-17, 02:41 PM  
Diana3271

Flipping 50 (Debra Atkinson) question

I'm not good at setting up rotation or even picking workouts that will fit into the various categories. (well, if it says cardio, stretch, yoga, I know what that means, LOL) Based on Debra Atkinson's recommendation for a rotation, can someone pick out some Kelly Coffey Meyer's workouts and to plug into those categories. That would be helpful and give me an idea of how to set things up. I know I am overthinking things and working too hard to figure it out. LOL TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 03:57 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I am thinking that I might use workout 1 from KCM's Cardio Pump for a cardio workout - could it be an interval workout??

Workout 2 from the same DVD I think would work for a heavy weight workout, at least for me.

I'll be interested to see what others think. Maybe Gibbee will chime in.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 07:24 PM  
donnamp

Would KCM's Weights work for your heavy weight days?

Donna

p.s. I tend to overthink, too!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 07:44 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Would KCM's Weights work for your heavy weight days?

Donna

p.s. I tend to overthink, too!
Isn't that just the most frustrating thing when we do that? LOL My brain just gets tied up in one big knot.

I remember watching one of her videos or maybe someone posted about lifting to failure. Friday I did Jari Love's 6 Minute workout. It wasn't heavy weight but it was closer to failure than when I have used other workouts and heavier weights. I was like jello.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 09:18 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Wow, do I ever tend to overthink, too. Using my rotation as an example, here's what you might do.

Mon: Circuit or interval cardio: Start Here or Plateau Buster
Tues: Heavy weights + stretch: Muscle Up
Wed: Recovery
Thurs: Circuit or interval cardio: Slim Sculpting or Muscle Definition
Fri: Easy, fun workout:
Sat: Heavy weights + stretch: Weights
Sun: Recovery

I've decided that I'm not going to worry too much about whether a workout is a "true" interval workout or not. If it uses light weights and gets my heart rate up, I'm going to plug it into the interval days. If it uses heavy weights and works major muscle groups, I'll plug that into my two heavy weight days.

Diana, if you look at the VF Reviews and search by category and take a look at all the circuit workouts (under both "Cardio" and "Strength"), I think you'll find a lot of KCM that will fit the general definition of interval/circuit training. That's how I got a lot of ideas about what to plug into my non-heavy-weight days. Hope that helps!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 10:25 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Diana,

I am in the test group for Fit U which is boxing / kickboxing cardio intervals 3 days, weights 2 days, walking long, slow on the other two days (at least 15 minute but she recommends 30) and also mixing in other movement or activity on the other days. So far the strength workouts have been super sets... so say bent over row / fly 3x back to back very little rest between sets. Most of the weight work has taken 45 min or so. Boxing is 30 minutes or a bit less. Today was it was 18 minutes long (have to add on warm up / cool down - can use hers or your own so I did MMA Boxing warm up / stretch).

I've thought about KCM myself so if I were to do the Fit U rotation using KCM, I would try this...

Day 1: Trim Down Boxing premix
Day 2: Your Best Body (1 workout) or Muscle Up.... a total body premix
Day 3: Cardio Pump Boxing
Day 4: Your Best Body (1 workout) or Muscle Up.... a total body premix
Day 5: Total Body Kickbox (1 workout)
Day 6: Walk / stretch
Day 7: Walk / stretch

You could do any of KCM's boxing (TLC, etc.) for the boxing / kickboxing. Debra only does 30 mins or less, so keep that in mind. 1 KCM cardio workout would suffice.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 05:53 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thanks, Gibbee! I knew we could count on you!

How did you learn about the Fit U test group? Were you signed up for her monthly stuff?

I have her book and am reading it, but wonder if the material presented in it makes doing her online After Fifty Fitness Formula for Women course unnecessary.

Carol
Old 04-10-17, 06:11 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

txhsmom: I believe it was in a newsletter and then also a post on Facebook You had to meet a minimum criteria (20+ pounds to lose, close to or over 50, etc.).

I should note that in this program she recommends following an eating plan. It's not like she says, "Today you can only eat pea soup." She has guidelines and recommendations for food types. I have not been perfect by any stretch of the imagination (and I'm horrible at journaling!!!), but this is the start of week 4 of 8 and I'm down 9 lbs. I think if I had been more strict the past couple of weeks I would see more weight loss, BUT my focus has been the need for a kickstart - something new - and something to get the needle to move on the scale So far this program has been great. I'm not overly tired or sore, I'm seeing some results, my core strength is getting so much better, and I'm not bored.

She changes the strength workout every week and the cardio intervals vary as well. It reminded me after week 2 why I saw fast results several years ago (probably 10 years or more) from doing Joyce Vedral Fast Forward for two weeks 6 days each week. Supersets really do the work fast and burn fat. No, you won't become she-hulk and you won't be the strongest person in the room necessarily, but you will look strong and toned.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 04-10-17, 06:18 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
txhsmom: I believe it was in a newsletter and then also a post on Facebook You had to meet a minimum criteria (20+ pounds to lose, close to or over 50, etc.).

I should note that in this program she recommends following an eating plan. It's not like she says, "Today you can only eat pea soup." She has guidelines and recommendations for food types. I have not been perfect by any stretch of the imagination (and I'm horrible at journaling!!!), but this is the start of week 4 of 8 and I'm down 9 lbs. I think if I had been more strict the past couple of weeks I would see more weight loss, BUT my focus has been the need for a kickstart - something new - and something to get the needle to move on the scale So far this program has been great. I'm not overly tired or sore, I'm seeing some results, my core strength is getting so much better, and I'm not bored.

She changes the strength workout every week and the cardio intervals vary as well. It reminded me after week 2 why I saw fast results several years ago (probably 10 years or more) from doing Joyce Vedral Fast Forward for two weeks 6 days each week. Supersets really do the work fast and burn fat. No, you won't become she-hulk and you won't be the strongest person in the room necessarily, but you will look strong and toned.
That program sounds like the kick in the pants that I need...

Carol
Old 04-10-17, 06:18 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

She also had a recent FB post from her TV channel about programming in boxing and weights. I haven't watched it yet (no time) but plan to do so. I think after this program I'll buy her 4 strength workout series and her book.

I have purchased other workout (paper) programs that seemed so overwhelming and required a gym. This does not seem that way at all. I give kudos to Debra for making it simple to understand.

I will say this, too... I am a diehard Cathe and KCM fan and will never drop either of those ladies. I look forward to getting fully back into their programs soon (and currently use them for warm ups and cool downs because I love their stuff).

BUT I will probably change my programming of their workouts and keep Debra in the mix. I told myself I could keep plugging away with what I was doing and see a little bit of results but continue to be unhappy with the post meno weight, OR I could try something different. I mean, why not? The time is going to pass anyway. I figured I would never know unless I tried something totally different.

Like the JV FF comment above, I did Skogg several years back for a month and loved the fast results but I got distracted by the next DVD offering of Cathe and KCM (and he doesn't change the workouts up much on the original set). That time the changes I saw were because I did something different and stuck with it. Key points there.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate

Tags
fast forward