Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-16, 03:19 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I haven't been able to find out! I always overeat when I don't exercise. Exercise relieves stress, and I'm able to stick to eating healthier.
+1 with an added wrinkle,

Low-carbing, idiosyncratic low-BMI range maintaining, type 2 diabetics need not apply, if at all possible. I am not going to start on talking about, um, circulatory issues of 2 decades' standing ...

I literally have to force myself to move (formally-speaking. Of course, I've no servants (and don't normally do take-out or delivery food), no car or bike, steep hills to and from anything; and NO! labor-saving devices). The d**t does the soporification for me.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 06:55 PM  
m42

My a1c and my blood pressure went up. Working out again brought them back down. Exercise is more than aesthetics. Your weight may stay the same but your metabolic systems may not.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 07:05 PM  
TinierTina

If anyone has to have their A1C checked more than just once every few years, it is the insulin-resistant like us, whether diabetic or not. Whether on pills, etc. for it or not.

Even women with PCOS, have to take Metformin to control the condition (as do some Type 2 diabetics). And that, too, is an insulin-resistance issue, but maybe no A1C test involved.

So, m42 is right on.

Me? I knew I had a problem with not enough (or the right - cardio - type) exercise a year or so before getting diabetes. Like fuzzy-brain syndrome ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 03-27-16, 08:37 PM  
Sophie

I may have misread, but I thought the OP was still going to stay active playing with her son, etc, and just drop structured, formal exercise for a while. I guess depending on the intensity, you could still get the metabolic and stress relieving benefits.

I personally find that when I take an "active" break to play recreational sports or hike or whatnot, I will do just fine in terms of maintenance, and depending on what I'm doing, there is the chance of improving some aspects. But it does have to have some level of intensity and effort for that to happen.

But again perhaps I misread the OP.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 10:43 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
I may have misread, but I thought the OP was still going to stay active playing with her son, etc, and just drop structured, formal exercise for a while. I guess depending on the intensity, you could still get the metabolic and stress relieving benefits.

I personally find that when I take an "active" break to play recreational sports or hike or whatnot, ...
It's the "whatnot" that gets many into trouble.
The moment I'd rediscovered frequent, steady state cardio after 3 to 4 years of having not done much of that kind of workout - and believe me, it had to be low impact and rank beginner level with my orthopedic problems - it made a difference in my mind and mood.

Lives and/or quality-of-life issues, at minimum are what could be at stake here. Not the absence of a fluffy midsection.

-Bettina

Old 03-28-16, 06:08 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
I am thinking of taking a break from formal exercise. I'd like to spend some time just playing baseball with my son, playing chase with my kids and also spend more time helping my son with school (we homeschool).

So has anyone given up formal exercise and still watch what they ate (I do weight watchers). What were your results?

As always thanks in advance!!!
I stopped exercising as consistently as I usually do a few times during my life. Once I did gain weight, but I was not as savvy about nutrition back then, and looking back it's not surprising. The second time I was much smarter about how to eat properly for me, and I had no issues. I even lost some weight, as I was very busy doing other things and my diet was probably better than usual (less snacking). I was the thinnest I had ever been during that time...because I wasn't eating as much as I usually did.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 07:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Typically I only stop exercising if I'm sick or recovering from something. My body's personal tendency is to lose weight, but gain inches and get all flabby.

ETA: I also get fatigued, depressed and crabby and do not sleep well.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 10:59 AM  
Indy

I was alway fairly consistent but just recently took about half a year where I didn't exercise and just watched my diet. I lost weight. I was thin but I lost so much strength. Now getting back to regular exercise - I determined it was a sin to stop. I felt weak, well frankly, I was weak and it is taking quite a long time to get it back. Too long. I wish I hadn't stopped.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 11:35 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
I am thinking of taking a break from formal exercise. I'd like to spend some time just playing baseball with my son, playing chase with my kids and also spend more time helping my son with school (we homeschool).

So has anyone given up formal exercise and still watch what they ate (I do weight watchers). What were your results?

As always thanks in advance!!!
At least you have an advantage at the starting gate. You don't have to low-carb. ... I'd been hornswoggled into giving up light weight training and floorwork back in the day, but I'd still held my own with what I could still do (balanced, more-or-less high protein d**t, rather far from low-carbing per se, but still toying with the then-remote possibility ...) ...

Putting just a little something back into a formal exercise program even if you can't spend the time you once did with it, is very doable in your case.

-Bettina

Old 03-28-16, 01:59 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Typically I only stop exercising if I'm sick or recovering from something. My body's personal tendency is to lose weight, but gain inches and get all flabby.

ETA: I also get fatigued, depressed and crabby and do not sleep well.
That is a very valid point. Exercising keeps the insomnia at bay.

I would also not stop exercising unless I'm sick or injured. However, my lifestyle would not allow me to be naturally active (desk job) and sounds like OP may have other active outlets.

Tags
activity levels, formal exercise, lifestyle change, results, weight loss, weight management