Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-14, 08:05 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
The Dream Body workouts have lots of plank work plus light weights. I had great upper body results from 3x a week. Strong, solid arms but more slender.

I am on week 12 of Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide and am very happy with my arms. She might do one weighted exercise in the arm workout. Otherwise it is pushups/burpees/mtn climbers etc. Just one arm day per week. It is a written program though. And very very challenging.
How are you likeing this program? Do u need a lot of equipment? What are the workouts like?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 08:45 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
How are you likeing this program? Do u need a lot of equipment? What are the workouts like?
I have just one workout left til I have completed the first program. (She recently released 2.0)
I like it a lot!! It is pretty tough. The resistance workouts are 3 days a week. The program is progressive and the exercises not only increase in difficulty but she also does A LOT OF REPS (50 jump lunges per round??? And you do as many rounds as you can. For example.) It is 2 circuits made up of 4 moves each and you repeat each circuit as many times as you can within 7 mins with short breaks in between So circuit 1 for 7 mins, short break, circuit 2 for 7 mins, circuit 1, circuit 2. The legs are worked through step ups, plyo lunges, jump squats, various squat and lunge variations and a LOT of jumping. Upper body is pushup variations, mtn climbers, and she does throw in clean and press. There is a dedicated ab day as well and in all of the days she throws in burpees or another exercise to get your hr up. The challenge lies in continuously repeating each circuit for the 7 mins with no break. My hr gets sky high but I only stop when that timer goes! As far as equipment the biggest challege is that you need 2 benches for double bench jumps and for squats. She uses a bosu, a med ball, and dumbbells as well. I would describe the resistance workouts as hiit/metabolic and on off days she wants you to power walk (which I don't do.) It has really kept my interest and I never once wanted to quit in 12 weeks, which is huge.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 12:21 AM  
Sinclair

I have Kayla's BBG 2.0 as well.
There she has a different workout every week (not two weeks the same (1+3, 2+4, etc) like in 1.0). Also it's now 4x/week with either 1-2 Personal Challenges (1000rep Challenge and/or timed Challenge) or a Total Body Circuit (this alternates each week, week 1 is Challenge, week 2 TB, etc.).
The exercises are much like in 1.0 but not the same - of course there are old friends like Burpees, Jump Lunges, etc.
She now has weight recommendations right next to the exercise. You are doing more pulses then jumps (Pulse Squat with Jump Squat).
No double benches, bosu - but a barebell, a higher platform to jump up to and a kettlebell (which could be substituted I guess). More skipping than in 1.0.
She also has a chapter on Foam Rolling and Cool-down Stretches.
She also wants you to do LISS and HIIT (from what I have read) - 1x LISS during weeks 13-16, 2x during weeks 17-20, 1x during weeks 21-24 -- HIIT: weeks 13-20 instead of Challenge/TB if you prefer HIIT, weeks 21-24 1x (instead of 2nd LISS) and optional instead of Challenge/TB. (Though the Challenges look like HIITS already).
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 12:24 AM  
Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I have just one workout left til I have completed the first program. (She recently released 2.0)
I like it a lot!! It is pretty tough. The resistance workouts are 3 days a week. The program is progressive and the exercises not only increase in difficulty but she also does A LOT OF REPS (50 jump lunges per round??? And you do as many rounds as you can. For example.) It is 2 circuits made up of 4 moves each and you repeat each circuit as many times as you can within 7 mins with short breaks in between So circuit 1 for 7 mins, short break, circuit 2 for 7 mins, circuit 1, circuit 2. The legs are worked through step ups, plyo lunges, jump squats, various squat and lunge variations and a LOT of jumping. Upper body is pushup variations, mtn climbers, and she does throw in clean and press. There is a dedicated ab day as well and in all of the days she throws in burpees or another exercise to get your hr up. The challenge lies in continuously repeating each circuit for the 7 mins with no break. My hr gets sky high but I only stop when that timer goes! As far as equipment the biggest challege is that you need 2 benches for double bench jumps and for squats. She uses a bosu, a med ball, and dumbbells as well. I would describe the resistance workouts as hiit/metabolic and on off days she wants you to power walk (which I don't do.) It has really kept my interest and I never once wanted to quit in 12 weeks, which is huge.
Do you mind me asking what you do on your off days? Do you keep those for recovery or is it possible to do something else on those days (since the BBG is pretty hard)? I'm thinking about adding in Kettlebells once I'll start 1.0.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 01:28 AM  
koolio

For upper body I can say Gymabstics month 4 is not bad (although there is a lot of lower body work too), however even for me personally I find there is not enough upper body work, no weights or equipment required.

If you want the bible of body weight conditioning try Gold Medal Bodies floor 1, this is gymnastics based and does require you formulate your own training routine with short videos showing you form etc.

There are books, overcoming gravity which is a great book, although very theoretical and huge and requiring you completely formulate your own routines. Other books I can think of are "never gymless", these are quite hardcore and require you make your own workouts.
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 09:11 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Do you mind me asking what you do on your off days? Do you keep those for recovery or is it possible to do something else on those days (since the BBG is pretty hard)? I'm thinking about adding in Kettlebells once I'll start 1.0.
I have 2.0 also. ☺

On my off days I have done hiit, other metabolic type workouts or circuit training. I also do straight up weightlifting.

Personally I don't find training my legs once per week to be enough, and my legs are lagging as far as the results seen by my whole body. I definitely do another legs/butt day.

The past few weeks I have given myself 2 complete rest days per week, which I don't usually do. Weeks 9-12 are brutal.

Also, I do an hour every day. I do cardio (jump rope or hiit) or add on abs, legs, whatever.

I think adding kettlebells either to your bbg days or alternate days is fine, depending on your fitness level. If you are up to it once you start, do it!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 10:31 AM  
neatski

HoCo was very effective but lacked in the "pull" muscles, IMO. It works the chest and shoulders very heavily.

I've never really found any bodyweight workout to be more effective than simple upper body circuits utilizing pushups and pullups. I just make my own.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 06:14 PM  
smilingwolf

I did the Ballet Body Upper Body DVD workout yesterday. I have never been in plank position for so long during a workout. I thought it was over after the floorwork, I was wrong. But, adding the light weights at the end is the perfect finish. Your arms are already pre-fatigued and those weights really make your arms burn. You get a great workout for your triceps and shoulders, especially the rear delts. But, I was so happy when it was over. This is a tough workout.
smilingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 08:06 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
HoCo was very effective but lacked in the "pull" muscles, IMO. It works the chest and shoulders very heavily.

I've never really found any bodyweight workout to be more effective than simple upper body circuits utilizing pushups and pullups. I just make my own.
While I do agree! My back has never been more sore then with HC. HC definitely works back more isometriclly
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 05:19 PM  
LeanneM

I've really been loving the PiYo set, and have gotten great results in my arms from doing them! Even my husband commented on how "buff" my arms have been looking since I've added them into the mix. I usually do 2-3 a week. I was getting a little burnt out on them so haven't been doing as many lately, but I definitely need to add them back in.

They're worth a try!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight workouts, bodyweight workouts, upper body