Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-14, 11:14 AM  
missaulnier

What's the best thigh trimmer?

Hey ladies,

I've been working out again for about 6 weeks and I'm starting to get into better shape! I'm very happy that my fitness level is slowly increasing, but my quads and hammies are really bulking up (as usual). I'm short so Id like to shift my rotation to include some workouts that help slim/lengthen/pull-in the thigh and hip area. I have Callanetics (which works but I get sick of) and some Tracy Anderson which I own but haven't really used yet. What's your favorite routine for slimming the low body?

TIA
Aimée
missaulnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:14 PM  
deineira

This is my million dollar question too, Aimee! A few years ago I was determined to slim my thighs and get rid of cellulite and saddle bags. What worked for me on this goal was a cleaner diet, weight training for lower body 2x per week and plyometrics. I did STS during this time and my legs slimmed down noticeably. I also did a LIS (Low impact series by Cathe Friedrich) and saw nice slimming in my thighs. Then I kind of plateaued for a while...

I tried TA Hipcentric and did not see any real results. I did ART and saw some small improvement...definitely more tone but no shrinking really. Now I'm doing HDM and my thighs are starting to budge again. Through all of this, I have kept a clean diet and I think that makes a huge difference (for me atleast, I'm 40). YMMV, but the above has worked for me. I have not tried barre as I don't find it that motivating, but it seems to work well for a lot of folks on the board. You'll get a variety of responses to this post, but I'm sure, but I think this is truly one of those cases where what works for one does not work for others.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:23 PM  
alisoncooks

Keeping my eye on this thread, since my thighs are my biggest "problem area."
I had good results with barre a while back -- but plateaued after an initial improvement. Then I started doing Jari Love and saw a LOT of thigh slimming.

Right now I'm doing barre & yoga... Hoping for results but it's still too soon to tell...

I've read here that walking seems to be a magic thigh bullet, too, but in larger quantities (like 4-5 miles a day). I've never tried that.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:25 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

My stubborn area is the lower ab area, thighs aren't my toughest area, but with that being said, I always found Ellen Barrett's workouts to be very slimming for the thighs. In addition to losing weight mostly through dietary changes, I did a lot of walking, including hill walks, with Core Fusion and some Ellen last year and my thighs (well everything really) slimmed down and pulled in and toned up nicely.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:25 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Then I started doing Jari Love and saw a LOT of thigh slimming.
Which Jari workouts? Inquiring minds want to know!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:39 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Which Jari workouts? Inquiring minds want to know!
Now, keep in mind -- this was after having used barre workouts and losing 20 pounds (so definite slimming there). But I stopped losing weight and stalled a bit. I started using *mostly* Slim & Lean (though also the original, Ripped to the Core and Ripped & Chiseled... all the old school ones ). I did not see any more weight loss, but I felt like my thighs "snapped in" and tightened up. (And I had nice line of definition along the outer edge of my quads.)

I'm back to using barre now... but my hope is to follow the pattern from before. (Little bit of barre, little bit of Jari, rinse & repeat. )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:52 PM  
Tugger31

Deinera, I wanted to clarify, in each week did you one STS leg workout, one LIS leg workout and one plyometric leg workout (for a total of 3 leg workouts??)

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:30 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Okay, I haven't personally tried it yet, but I downloaded Victoria Johnson's ebook on Amazon called How Do I Get Skinny Thighs. Victoria made a few fitness videos some years back. I always enjoyed her so I purchased the ebook the other day.
Old 05-06-14, 02:55 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Deinera, I wanted to clarify, in each week did you one STS leg workout, one LIS leg workout and one plyometric leg workout (for a total of 3 leg workouts??)

Thanks!
Hi Tugger31,
These were all different rotations. I did STS, which has 2 leg days per week for the entire 12 weeks. One workout is alternating plyo with weights in a circuit for about an hour. There's also another Cathe workout like this called Cardio Leg Blast that's in the XTrain series....I highly recommend them. The LIS was it's own rotation, and I did the rotation as Cathe posted it using the whole series. That had one dedicated leg workout (Lower Body Trisets), but the other workouts are leg intensive and I got really nice results from that rotation. I also did an extended period were I was doing at least 1 plyo focused workout (in a HIIT format) per week with one dedicated leg day...usually something like Cathe's Butts and Guts or Lower Body Blast. LBB gave me good results. B&G I never really clicked with. For me, I worked lower body twice a week, and then did other workouts like kickboxing and step, but adding some dedicated leg day weight training and adding more plyo workouts was a good addition for me and it made the biggest difference overall.

Hope that clarifies.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 08:12 PM  
anne

walking helps with trimming thighs
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, biggest difference, bulking, thigh slimming