Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-13, 12:59 PM  
imhere2dance

Question Joyce Vedral: "Top Shape & Now or Never" DVD

I never hear much about these workouts. I even did two searches here. Please tell me more about them. I know that Joyce uses a barbell in some of Top Shape, so I didn't think I was interested. But then somewhere I read that Marthe uses dumbbells the whole time. Is that true or was someone getting Top Shape confused with something else? I ask because I had never seen Marthe's name mentioned in that workout before.

Also, what is Now or Never like?
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 01:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

You can do this workout with only dumbbells - I don't remember 100% if Marthe is in it (but I think she is, obviously it's been awhile since I've used this one). You can go heavier with this one (compared to JV's other workouts). It's pyramid up and she supersets some but not all of the exercises. I don't care for the LB part too much - but like the UB workout quite a bit.

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 01:43 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

It looks like Mary still has a Top Shape clip on Youtube. It isn't really a barbell workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRYN01_t0c

Right now, I'm not remembering Now or Never at all.

Laura(LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 04:00 PM  
imhere2dance

Thanks for the clip, Laura.

Can anyone else chime in? Where's my good friend, Mandy, when I need her?
Old 04-08-13, 05:41 PM  
Mandy

Top Shape, one of my faves Joyce uses a barbell andMarthe uses dumbbells. The upper body is tougher than lower body but I still love day 2 which is back and lower body.
All the upper body is pyramid training.
She pyramids Chest press only

Then she supersets chest fly with pull overs using pyramid system(using dumbells only)

Then back to decline chest press only(with barbell and Marthe uses db)

I love the chest work.

Biceps are lying on bench bicep curl with a twist using dumbells using pyramid system.
Then its concentration curls w/dumbells using pyramid system
Then she supersets 2 biceps exercises using barbell and Marthe uses db's.

For triceps its lying French press(Joyce uses barbell and Marthe db) using pyramid system.

Then next is a superset. 1 arm over head French press into kickbacks(supersetting...both use db's)

Shoulder work is tough!
Overhead press using barbell or dumbells pyramid.

Then Front raise using barbell or dumbells pyramiding

Then superset side delt raise and reverse lateral raise...I'm dying at this point!lol

Day 2 is lower body and back and abs.

Barbell row using pyramid system

Deadlift using barbell or db's.

Then she supersets seated back lateral and standing bent lateral with dumbbells.
'
I like that the back work is separate from the leg work.

I really like the leg work so I can focus on heavy weights.
Hack Squat using pyramid system(12,10,8 reps) So you do basically 30 reps but use different weight sizes. Joyce uses barbell and Marthe DB's.

Then its super giant set using pyramid system(12,10,8) and I feel it when I use heavy weights.
Squat with barbell behind neck
calf raise
Squat with barbell in front

If you do the math, you are squatting a lot...60 reps and 30 reps for calves but its not exhausting because she sneaks calf work in between squats so it feels like you get a rest.
90 reps in squats.

The ab work is done in giant sets and she puts a db in between feet. 15 reps for each exercise and you do it 3 times.
Leg raise
Knee in
front squat with barbell in front
Knee raise crunch

135 reps for abs...I always like to know how many reps she does. the math makes me realize how much I'm doing!

The butt work is pretty easy and its just standing butt squeeze with barbell and Marthe uses dumbbells. She does 3 sets of 15 reps. I always add her Just Butt workout or her Butt work from Fat Burning 2.

I'm going to do it today
Old 04-09-13, 02:05 AM  
imhere2dance

Thanks, Mandy! I knew you would come through!

Now or Never is such a mystery. No one seems to know about it or remember it? Maybe it's just not a good workout...
Old 04-09-13, 04:36 AM  
BlueSwede

Top Shape and Now or Never are two different books by Joyce - geared towards men and women respectively - but only one workout on DVD. The DVD is called Top Shape - It's Now or Never! and features the two book covers on the DVD cover. The workout that Mandy described is what you get on the DVD.
BlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 04:39 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwede View Post
Top Shape and Now or Never are two different books by Joyce - geared towards men and women respectively - but only one workout on DVD. The DVD is called Top Shape - It's Now or Never! and features the two book covers on the DVD cover. The workout that Mandy described is what you get on the DVD.
Ahhh, okay, now it makes sense. Thank you!

Tags
barbell, joyce vedral, now or never, top shape