Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-11, 05:49 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
First, a huge congratulations! I know you work out hard and it's great that you are now seeing results.

I always cringe when I see "no cardio" threads. Cardio is such a huge factor in a person's life, not just for fat loss, but for heart health, and for your mental well being.
There are other ways to take care of one's heart without traditional cardio! PLaying with the kids at the playground, cleaning the house (mine is huge and can take 2 hours to vacuum), washing floors by hand, and staying active! Heart Health can happen in so many ways. I like not being bound to a cardio routine, life is full of fun things to do that also add or enhance one's physical well being. I think outside of the box to prevent cardio boredom!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:02 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Sunday, congrats and thank you for sharing your story. Are you still taking yoga teacher training classes?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:09 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hey Breezy!

I actually have only a small list of favorites since my Leslie collection is not super huge:

3 Mile Slim and Sleek Walk
Walk Your Belly Flat 3 Miles
4 Fast Miles!
3 Mile Weight Loss Walk

These are the ones I use the most. I also just discovered her 1 Mile Advanced Jog, which was an extra with the 4 Fast Miles, and have just started adding that, which I also really love.

It's funny because I always dreaded Leslie, until I actually started using her a lot. Now I love her! And of course once I realized I wasn't imagining my results, I started loving her even more. Once you get into her, her workouts really are all different, so I feel like I'm not using the same muscles all the time. Yes, they're the same steps, but like with dancing, they're choreographed differently so it's always somewhat mixed up.

Thanks, Deana! I love to read these "I lost inches with Leslie Sansone" threads because it proves we don't need to kill ourselves to see results. We just need a little consistency .... The fact that yoga has caused your arms to become sculpted is inspiring, too.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:11 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
There are other ways to take care of one's heart without traditional cardio! PLaying with the kids at the playground, cleaning the house (mine is huge and can take 2 hours to vacuum), washing floors by hand, and staying active! Heart Health can happen in so many ways. I like not being bound to a cardio routine, life is full of fun things to do that also add or enhance one's physical well being. I think outside of the box to prevent cardio boredom!
I would imagine the experts disagree on true meaning of cardio, but I prefer the one below. I usually count housework as "extra toning" versus cardio.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5127120_ca...efinition.html

Cardiovascular exercise, also called cardio or aerobic exercise, is physical activity which raises the heart rate to around 60 to 85 percent of the heart's maximum heart rate for an extended period of time, usually twenty minutes or longer. A sudden strenuous activity, such as lifting heavy weights may raise the rate to this range temporarily, but it is not considered cardiovascular exercise unless the elevated heart rate is sustained.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:20 PM  
sunday

Paine:

I have my final days of YTT this weekend! It's been a huge physical and mental undertaking, and I'm glad I'll be finished. I'm slightly burned out on yoga right now, having done it 6x a week religiously from May through November. I will go back to it, but not yet. I want to give TA Meta time to work.

Artist: I still want the Bootcamp workout really bad, and I just got Walk Off 10 Pounds and tried it yesterday. It was good!

Thanks for all the great responses and encouragement ladies!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 08:26 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Deana, thanks for posting your success. It seems that you have found the perfect match for you. I am hoping to add my yoga to my weekly workouts. Already doing Leslie. Your post is inspiring. It's nice to know that we don't have to beat ourselves up on a daily basis to get good results....it's about finding what you love, what works for you and sticking with it. Thanks.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 09:26 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
I would imagine the experts disagree on true meaning of cardio, but I prefer the one below. I usually count housework as "extra toning" versus cardio.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5127120_ca...efinition.html

Cardiovascular exercise, also called cardio or aerobic exercise, is physical activity which raises the heart rate to around 60 to 85 percent of the heart's maximum heart rate for an extended period of time, usually twenty minutes or longer. A sudden strenuous activity, such as lifting heavy weights may raise the rate to this range temporarily, but it is not considered cardiovascular exercise unless the elevated heart rate is sustained.
Experts can disagree, but then I don't imagine many of them run around after children, clean house, and scratch cook and bake all meals most days per week (knead your own bread several times per week just for an example). Shop several times per week in addition to running up and down stairs all day long for one thing or another. I'd be happy switching rolls with them for a week and see what they think in 7 days. Monkey bars, jungle gyms, and wrestling with 100+ pound dogs are just the cardio-cherry on top.

Every little thing counts and people were in shape long before cardio DVDs and equipment were made.

http://summertomato.com/non-exercise...ogenesis-neat/

And anyone who says vacuuming 3 floors of house for 2+ hours isn't cardio exercise is plain nuts!

Sunday- When you get the Bootcamp workout I suggest buying new Figure 8s or using flat bands as the ones that come in the kit are really cheezy and don't offer much resistance. I use my Cathe/Altus flat bands and I get an incredible workout. I think I'm going to do that one tomorrow followed by the Pilates segment from Slim and Sleek. The Bootcamp DVD has a great set! The first mile is all walking then miles 2 & 3 do intervals of cardio and strength; either 5 or 6 in all with a little boosted walking thrown into the cardio portions.

Walk Off 10 Pounds just makes me smile. I don't know why, but I just feel so light hearted and happy when it's over!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 09:49 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
I certainly don't think this is the only valid definition of cardiovascular exercise. The Tabata protocol, which has been used by high level athletes for many years to improve cardiovascular conditioning, does not fit this description.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 09:56 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Paine:

I have my final days of YTT this weekend!
Sunday, congrats on another achievement!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 06:09 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Thanks for the post...and congratulations on your achievements!

Over the years on VF, I have read a lot of posts that say the most effective weight loss "routine" was doing an extra "light cardio" every day...like a Leslie. I always got the impression that people started losing more weight doing this because of the extra activity; not anything specific but just because they were moving more during the day. If I do an extra workout (even a short kundalini or Classical stretch or Wii dancingsession), then I always drop a few pounds.

Tags
biggest change, biggest difference