Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-11, 07:45 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
Mandy, as always you give the best Joyce advice ever!
Thanks! Its nice to see a thread about Joyce Vedral workouts
Old 08-31-11, 11:47 AM  
Sissy B

I got my BUG+ DVD a couple of weeks ago, but didn't even bother taking the shrink wrap off until today. I've been previewing it and it looks really good. I don't know why I didn't order this one years ago. I think I'm going to start a Joyce rotation myself.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 12:11 PM  
Hej

Yes, Mandy is the expert when it comes to Joyce.

I just want to pipe in here and say that I get the best "visible results" FAST from Joyce. Truly amazing.

Fast Forward, Bottoms Up Gold, the Just series and Fat Burning are my favorites.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 02:01 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Timely thread!

I'm just about to finish Power 90 (Friday will be day 90) and was thinking about starting a Joyce rotation afterwards. I don't have her videos, just books ... but I can get some of her vids on Netflix.

I was thinking Definition for upper body (from her book--I hear she goes way too fast on the video) and Bottoms Up Gold for lower body (I'll get it from Netflix).

Joyce's workouts were the first weight workouts I ever did. I started with her book '12 minute total body workout' in the very late 80s and got several more of her books over the years. I found the workouts in her books to be quite effective, but have not been as enthusiastic about her videos. I wish she'd put out a video where she lifted the weights she actually uses (like Cathe does).

Thanks, Mandy, for your very detailed rotation and for sharing your Joycean expertise. :-)

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 02:10 PM  
Sissy B

Well now I remember why I didn't get this one before - the BUG+ upper body plus abs workout goes on forever. But, since I bought it for the lower body work that shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably pair it with Speedy NonStop to work my upper body for now.

eam531 - I have Definition on DVD and it does go extremely fast.

Hej - I get almost immediate visible results in my upper body when I use Joyce's workouts. I'm hoping BUG+ will help me to get visible results in my lower body.

And Mandy is definitely the Joyce expert around here.

~Sissy B
Old 08-31-11, 02:55 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

BUG+ for lb + back great but I have never finished the ab work, blech! I forget about that, I usually would put in a 10 min pilates workout every 2-3 days to hit abs. I actually like the upper body work but it is long. Speedy NS does not hit back on the upper body day so it rotates pretty well with BUG+.

Also, lots of people swear by her books so I dont' think you can go wrong with that approach.

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 07:10 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I'm sort of resurrecting this.

I posted earlier in this thread about trying Joyce's Definition workout for my strength routine 3 X per week, working my full body, and alternating this with cardio. I am doing the workout using her book.

Even after building up some nice strength gains after completing Tony Horton's Power 90, I am finding Definition to be quite challenging. Clearly it is a very different workout--his is circuit, while hers has you working each body part for 2 to 4 rounds, then moving to the next body part. I had to drop my poundage on some body parts because of the sheer number of reps. It's pretty darn grueling--I am left drenched with sweat and it does have a bit of a cardio effect--not enough to forego cardio, though, IMO.

I substitute some exercises--Joyce's butt exercises are weird, so I sub some exercises from Squeeze (the ones where your feet are against the wall with bent knees and you do butt lifts forever with your feet in different positions.)

I'm enjoying this a lot, but as always with Joyce, I am left scratching my head and wondering how the h-e-double-hockey-sticks can she claim that this workout can be done in 15 minutes??? Even though I dropped my poundage on some exercises, I really try to use the heaviest weights I can with good form (I try to work to failure), and it takes longer than any 15 minutes, I can tell you. A couple of days ago I did the 'dragon lady' routine (4 rounds per body part) and it took a full hour; today I did the 'regular' workout (2 rounds per body part) and it took about 45 minutes. I'm not complaining, because Tony's circuit workout took about 45 minutes too. But 15 minutes? Ridiculous--the only way this could be done in 15 minutes is by using incredibly light weights and moving at warp speed.

It kind of bugs me that in her video workouts Joyce uses such light weights. I would find it a lot more inspiring if she, like Cathe, used the weights she really uses in her personal workouts in her videos. Alas, I think it is a vain hope (like hoping that Leslie Sansone would use different music or bust some new moves ...)

Anyway, I am enjoying my Joyce workout and I would encourage people to try her workouts. They are efficient and require very little in terms of equipment. I have always found them to be extremely effective, especially for the upper body. Sometime I will have to try Bottoms Up Gold to see whether that workout is as effective for lower body as Definition is for upper body.

I'll report back in a few weeks with some results.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 09-08-11, 07:47 AM  
Sissy B

Betsy - I have Joyce's Definition DVD and she does use very light weights and goes at warp speed. It also doesn't have all the options that the book does.

~Sissy B
Old 09-08-11, 08:13 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Betsy - I have Joyce's Definition DVD and she does use very light weights and goes at warp speed. It also doesn't have all the options that the book does.

~Sissy B
Thanks! Info like this makes me glad that I opted to just use her book.

Old 09-08-11, 09:00 AM  
Hej

That's one advantage of her videos, actually. You use a high rep speed and when she says 15 sec. rest, it does clock in as pretty short. You may have to go waaaaay down in poundage (I did for Definition) but it gets done in a short period of time and you do get the results as promised (at least I do). I realized how much I was "cheating" doing it as a paper workout when I got the videos.

That said, Joyce for me is more about "visible results" and isolated muscular strength/endurance. Nowadays, I definitely complement her workouts with other workouts (pilates, classical stretch, yoga) because functionally, Joyce-only rotations leave me feeling a bit stiff, clumsy, and ungraceful.

But I'm getting older, creakier and stiffer anyway, so maybe that's to be expected. When I was younger it wasn't such a problem.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast forward, joyce vedral, joyce vedral rotations