Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-09, 09:58 AM  
alisoncooks

My current workout is 3 days cardio and 3 days barre (with other toning thrown in: Buns of Steel, Winsor Buns & Thighs, Classical Stretch, and more!)

I do feel that the barre has made a big impact on the changes I've seen lately. My husband told me this morning that I was "slimming down" and that the "points" on the sides of my hips/thighs (saddlebags) were gone, LOL.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 10:00 AM  
mrs lightyear

callanetics
mrs lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 10:10 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

The Firm is what originally did it for me. I really like weights and cardio combined. I am currently doing Slim in 6/Slim Series, which is quite similar. I also like to do weights and cardio seperately. I am going to be starting another CLX rotation shortly. I really dont think it matters how you do it, as long as you do both weights and cardio, either seperately or together. It really is true that muscle burns fat! I am 46, I have been training this way for 13+ years now, and I have been able to maintain my weight for this long as well! Oh, and dont forget stretching! To answer your other question, training with weights and cardio has toned my entire body!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 10:15 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Which workout is the best for losing weight
Running. In particular, running with the Cardio Coach cds (now mp3s) got me back into running and using them in combination with steady state running really slimmed me down like nothing else has.
Which workout is the best for changing your arms
I'd go with a combo (alternating) of Squeeze Stronger's upper body premix and the arm work on Tracy Anderson's Mat Workout. Then again, I have gotten nice compliments on my upper body as well when doing Physique 57.
Which workout is the best for your core/abs
Physique 57, Tracy Anderson's Post Pregnancy workout (yikes!)
Which workout changed your glutes
Barre workouts in general - I'd suggest Core Fusion Glutes & Thighs
Which workout is the best for your legs
Barre workouts in general - for me it was Fluidity, but that can be kind of an investment, P57 and the Isculpt Ballet mp3s from Itrain.com are also great.

BTW, I'm 29 and in good shape. I first got into better shape when I started using dvds back in '05. I started running in the fall of '05 and noticed a major difference. Finally, I got Fluidity in winter '06 since then I've off and on kept up with the combo of barre workouts (Fluidity, Bar Method, Isculpt ballet, P57, etc.) and running and maintained good results. What I eat and drink is also important, but not for shaping my body.
Old 11-17-09, 10:15 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

TISH !!! SAY IT ISN'T SO

Ha - After so many attempts to find something I truly love and can stick with, I've decided - once again - that my magic bullet might be kettlebells. I've invested in KBs, two Kettleworx sets and two individual DVDs in the last 3 days!

Look at all the responses here. It seems that what works is what someone enjoys and sticks with. Actually, I think just sticking with 'something' works. I love The Firm - I get bored with The Firm. I love Slim Series - I get bored with Slim Series. I love Ellen Barrett - I get bored with Ellen Barrett. It's not them; it's me. I get bored VERY easily. And then I take time off in between each foray into something new. For example, since my magic bullet is now going to be kettlebells, why do anything else until I watch the intro DVD and preview the program I bought? If I get bored with that, why start anything new during the holidays??? I laugh at myself - but it's really not funny. Is it my age (56)? Am I just too lazy to get out of bed in the morning?

I applaud all of you who have gotten results from whatever it is you're doing. Keep it up !!!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 10:16 AM  
SpiritYogi

P90X and kickboxing
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 10:48 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

When I first started working out, the classic Firms changed my body more than anything. It was the first time in my life I'd picked up a dumbbell or barbell (I was 27) and my body responded immediately - I got great definition in my biceps, triceps and shoulders and my butt firmed up with the tall-box work. I wasn't carrying much extra body fat, so the changes were very apparent.

A close second would be running - flattened out my abs and I lost bodyfat all over.
Old 11-17-09, 10:53 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
TISH !!! SAY IT ISN'T SO

Ha - After so many attempts to find something I truly love and can stick with, I've decided - once again - that my magic bullet might be kettlebells. I've invested in KBs, two Kettleworx sets and two individual DVDs in the last 3 days!
Fear not, Joni, my results with kettlebells have been totally the opposite of Tish's. I do worry, though, about you doing a Joni O with a kettlebell.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 11:11 AM  
StephE

Great thread! I've enjoyed reading what has worked for everybody!

I'd have to say for me what has dropped the weight the fastest and also toned my abs the best has been Tae Bo and Turbo Jam. These workouts really burn the calories and really tone my abs. And for me, they're a lot of fun. Also, walking on the treadmill (4.5-5 mph) and/or at an incline seems to slim me down pretty quickly. Leslie Sansone works great for me too.

As far as mainly toning up all over goes, I'd have to say hands down The FIRM. The combination of weights and cardio seem to really tone my body better than anything else. I remember when I first started working out to the FIRM I was really frustrated because the scale was barely going down, but then I tried on a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to fit into and they slipped right on. That made me believe in The FIRM and weights! I like pretty much anything by The FIRM, but the TransFIRMer series is what made me believe in the results! Love that series!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 11:28 AM  
jerebo

For me, it's been running (along with watching what I eat). Running burns more calories than anything else I've tried. And I've only recently realized how much stronger I am. While I don't know about the shape of my arms, legs, etc., I've recently realized that I can squat lower and do more pushups--and I haven't even been weight training. It can be very good for your core, too.

Tags
biggest change, pilates band, results, successful weight loss