Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-09, 03:58 PM  
bearcatfan

Can someone explain what an unweighted arm workout is, or what exercises might be in it?
Old 09-27-09, 04:33 PM  
JustSandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Can someone explain what an unweighted arm workout is, or what exercises might be in it?
Hi Rose:

I'll give that a try, since I started the thread. Most upper body workouts use weights, either the body's own weight or a handheld weight, to provide muscle resistance. In the case of my cranky elbow, too much bending while under stress from weight (dumbbell or body weight) can lead to inflammation and pain.

Unweighted work (at least the kind I am looking for) strengthens the upper body muscles in other ways without stressing the joints, such as isometric tension (i.e. Margaret's Fight Age With Strength, where you press into a ball), or through repetition (like holding the arm straight out and doing little circles until you feel your shoulder is going to drop off.....). In Classical Stretch the arm (or other body part) is stretched out during the repetitions, and you really feel it! Exercises like planks and downward dogs strengthen with body weight but don't involve moving the elbow joint, so I include those in the "unweighted" category.

Thanks for asking for the clarification. I hope that helped explain what I'm after.

I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 04:40 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

The vintage Jane Fonda's Challenge has an unweighted arms segment that makes you feel as if your arms are going to fall off. I don't know if its available in DVD format yet.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 08:27 PM  
Helen

Mindy Mylrea's Strength Toolbox has separate sections for upper/lower/abs and within each has weights/bands/bodyweight, so there's upper without weights in there.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 04:52 AM  
bearcatfan

After reading what this *is*, I went and did The Mat Workout's unweighted arm work. Yowza. I'm going to have to add that to my light weight/nontraditional arm kick - thanks!

Speaking of kick ... how about kickboxing drills? I know with some of the punches you'd have to be careful of your elbow, but I really like the arm drills in Cathe's CTX Kickbox. Not sure if that would work with your elbow issue, but kickboxing really works the arms.

And, again, not sure if these would work but Squeeze and Squeeze Stronger both are done using bells under 5 lbs. and in some cases 3.
Old 09-28-09, 06:49 AM  
cristinalatina

Hi Sandra! Hope you feel better soon! A DVD with pretty challenging unweighted arm work is MTV Pilates Mix with Kristin McGee. The first premix, about 30 minutes long. You'll feel it!
Also, I would recommend ballet workouts, such as New York City Ballet and Element Ballet, the arms are in port de bras throughout the entire workout and even though there's no separate armwork per se, they feel like they're about to fall off! Also, in Ballet Bootcamp I and II, the instructor shows some rotations and triceps extensions without weights. For some reason, these exercises tend to give me great definition, probably because I put much effort into them because I am holding no dumbbell and have full range of motion.
Old 09-28-09, 08:34 AM  
JustSandra

Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their excellent ideas! I will return to weights (at least light weights!) eventually, but during October I'm really excited about exploring other options for upper body toning.

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 09:15 AM  
MJ525

How about Balletone with Jody Hoegstedt.
MJ525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 09:46 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Sandra, I would be careful with push ups and pull ups. They could also bother your elbow.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 11:56 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

J. B. Burns has a workout system that doesn't use weights, and is someone rehab oriented. (It's the partner to his rehab workout series). Can't think of the name right off hand, but it has the kind of stuff you're looking for (isometric contractions, etc.).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight workouts, bodyweight workouts, mtv pilates mix, unweighted workouts, upper body