Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-09, 07:30 PM  
lorajc

Please Talk To Me About Joyce Vedral

I have purchased a small handful of Joyce workouts to try, but I haven't yet taken the plunge and tried them. I've read that her lower body weight can be so/so and that her form is horrible. I want to make sure I get a good workout in when I do them....so I'd like some pointers from those who have experience with her DVDs.

What do you do to intensify? How do you use them? I see some of them are on the shorter side and I like about 50-60" workouts usually.

Please help me get excited about trying Joyce.

Some titles I have are:

Definition Workout, Quick Quartet, Slow Duet, Bottoms Up Gold, Speedy Non Stop, Just Joyce, Complete Fast Forward, Complete Nonstop & Dynamic Tension
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 07:49 PM  
clh4207

The Everything Joyce thread is a great place to start:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...threadid=23916

Right now, I'm doing a Fast Forward/Just Bra-roll-Boob and Just Butt rotation. I do JBRB and JB on the same day and it's close to 1 hour. The other days I do one cycle of Fast Forward and add cardio to Cycle 2. Then, there are 2 days of Gut buster/love handle plus cardio. Here's the rotation:

Day 1 Gut Buster
Day 2 JBRB/JB
Day 3 FF Cycle 2 plus cardio
Day 4 FF Cycle 1
Day 5 FF Cycle 3
Day 6 Gut Buster plus cardio

In the past, for an hour long workout I've combined Quick Quartet and Slow Duet or On the Ball. They are each 30 minute workouts.

I enjoy Joyce and like her personality. She's definitely not for everyone, but I find the time flies by.
Old 09-08-09, 08:59 PM  
Mandy

You've got yourself a great Joyce collection. I love Joyce's workouts and have been using them since I found her in 2001. The pyramid system really works for me. You will need 3 size weights(except for Dynamic Tension).

Don't start off with Definition. It goes really fast so you have to use light weights to keep up. I think the heaviest I got with Definition is 8lbs and I usually use 12,15 and 20.
I would start off with Bottoms Up and the Just Joyce series.
Bottoms Up Gold is divided into a 2 day split doing upper body and abs on Day 1 and then Lower body on Day 2. Just Joyce has 4 workouts, Chest/Back, biceps/Triceps/Shoulders, Legs/thighs, Butt. You can combine Upper body on one day and lower body the next. The Just butt is done all onthe floor so its nice. Combining workouts make it longer and give you much more. Joyce made these workouts short because she new that people didn't have alot of time to workout.
Her longest workouts are Bottom's Up Gold plus and Weight Training Made Easier.
Fast Forward is also a longer workout if you combine Cycle 1 and 2 together which would be cycle 1 chest/back/abs with shoulder/thighs and calves. Then Cycle 3 is biceps/Triceps and legs. Both have ab work.

Speedy Nonstop is the one I've been doing lately since i have been short on time. The ab work is fabulous! It has 2 ab workouts. One in the Upper body section and then there is a bonus ab work in the main menu. The lower body does different squats with back work and some floor butt work. You can always tack on Just Butt for more butt work.

The way I intensity is to use the heaviest weight with good form. I have to go way lighter for Definition and the Speedy Nonstop then I do with slower Joyce's like Bottoms Up gold. There are more rests in Bottoms up Gold and her Bone Building.

I like Joyce's workouts where Marthe(her daughter) workouts out with her and does the counting. Its only Joyce in Dynamic Tension, Nonstop, Fat Burning and Definition, Verticals. All the rest, Marthe is in them.

I also put on my own music which makes it really nice to listen to something I like. Joyce doesn't do the workout to the beat of the music so any music works.
Joyce's form is far from perfect like her squats and side delt work but I was familiar with Cathe's form before I found Joyce so it wasn't a problem for me.

The pyramid system makes it fun and isn't boring endless reps.

Please email Joyce! She always emails back with any questions you may have. Her emails sometimes are quick though but she does answer!

She also has rotations on her website too.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:01 PM  
Mandy

I forgot to mention her newest Cougar workout. She has a VF'er in the video and has awesome form and she also does the counting for Joyce.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:07 PM  
Janga

I love Joyce but agree she's not for everyone. She really amuses me and she's warm and friendly and the workouts go fast and I can get a lot out of them as basically I don't agree that her form is all that horrible; she does the exercises correctly, it is just that she's kind of relaxed about it all. It is basic weightlifting.

Her cueing leaves something to be desired but oh well. It is like exercising with a friend. She's down to earth, seems very fit.

She embodies the goal of staying fit as we age.

I just ordered three more that I saw on a site that I don't have.

As for intensity, it depends on the weights used with most of her stuff. She moves very fast in most of them except the slow duet one that I have but haven't used.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 04:48 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

In my opinion, Joyce really shines in her books. The first weight lifting I ever did was with Joyce's first book in the late 80s/early 90s, and I bought several of her other books. Her workouts are quite effective (although the lower body stuff is rather meh). I never bought that jazz about 'getting fit in 15 minutes a day' from her (or from anyone), so I take those claims with a giant grain of salt. The only way I could do her workouts as quickly as she claims they can be done is lifting really light weights really fast; too fast for comfort, but everyone's different.

I tried one or two of her videos via Netflix and don't like them, although I think Joyce is funny and obviously she is a great role model in terms of staying fit as one ages.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 10:59 AM  
Janga

I've never seen any of her books, might look for them.

I also don't buy getting fit in 15 min a day (she says 12 :lol: ) and yea re her videos moving so fast. When I do them I don't really pay attention to her form because I've been lifting weights forever and she is so basic, if I feel like going slower I go slower and heavier and if I feel like trying to go at her speed, I use lighter weights, but it is actually hard to even get in position for the next exercise in the 15 seconds she says is the rest period. I do her workouts back to back when using them until I get to my preferred time of lifting for the day and I always do the whole body AND add stuff, but she's a good workout pard and again I feel she uses a good choice of basic exercises. It'd be a good idea for anyone using Joyce to get the books to learn form or to get a personal trainer or class to learn form with someone watching them. I believe no one can really learn proper weightlifting technique on their own just from DVDs (sorry, just my opinion).

Someone said something about the best Joyce's being with her daughter counting and I concur. Cougar also has other people counting. The sound is kind of low on that, might be my DVD player.

Since this thread made me think about Joyce, I did the super slow one this morning that I recently received and liked that a lot, actually. It is actually slower lifting than I do just by myself, let alone slow for Joyce. I went through both "days" of the two day split she suggests but did not do the add ons because I was in a hurry. The two days took 30 minutes and if I'd had time I would have done it again.

There is only one set of each exercise, she suggests lite weights because she says it is so slow, I used lite weights but would go heavier next time. The exercises are totally basic and Joyce's form is fine as they are going slow and I think that helps her. Marthe does modifications and counts out as each rep goes up and down slowly.

There is a section on "alternatives to exercises you hate" and on using a mat and pillows instead of a bench.

Joyce is the same, very nice and funny, like your mom's best friend.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 11:01 AM  
lindseylu8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I forgot to mention her newest Cougar workout. She has a VF'er in the video and has awesome form and she also does the counting for Joyce.
Hi Mandy! Who is this VFer in her Cougar w/o?????? Inquiring minds want to know

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 04:00 PM  
rhbrand

I'd like to know too!

This thread is making me really think hard about getting out my Joyce dvds and books and maybe doing a few weeks of her stuff. I always liked Joyce, both books and dvds, and usually got pretty good results with it too.
Old 09-29-09, 08:26 PM  
shoegoddess

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

found this on youtube
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar workout, dynamic tension, joyce vedral, joyce vedral beginners, joyce vedral fat burning, slow weights