Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-02, 11:05 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Light weights vs Heavy weights

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a big change in muscle size by varying types of workouts. What I've noticed is I've been doing Joyce Vedral workouts for the last two and a half weeks and I'm noticing different changes versus using my Cathe workouts. My body is shrinking! I always go as heavy as possible with Cathe but have to go considerably lighter with Joyce (she moves way too fast to keep up w/heavy weights).

I've still retained muscle definition (or what little I had, LOL) but my legs which have alway been big are looking smaller (good and bad...don't want to have skinny legs either!). I think it may be because Joyce doesn't really do any heavy weights with her leg workouts and none with the floorwork. I had a problem with that so I put on my 3lb. ankle weights for some of it. I like Joyce's workouts alot, some of the newer ones (WTME & Fast Forward) have tons of ab work which I love so I'm hoping they'll help that problem area, too. I'm wondering if you think adding a day of Cathe legs (Leaner Legs, PS Legs, or S & H Legs) would put my body out of balance if I continue to do Joyce's workouts.

Do you think using lighter weights/more reps is just as beneficial as heavy weights/low reps?
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 05:24 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I think they are BOTH beneficial techniques

that yield different results. I think you should go with the technique that gives you the results you like. Mixing it up is a good thing too. GOing light for 6 wks, and then heavy for 6? Or a light day, then a heavy day?

Leela
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 05:55 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Light vs. Heavy

I don't really know which is more beneficial, you'll get convincing arguments from both camps. I'm a heavy weight junkie and as such I may have more calorie burning muscle mass, higher bone density, more strength...etc., etc., etc.. Right now I'm also feeling about as flexible as frozen pastry dough...not good (nor healthy!) One wrong move and I could be sidelined for weeks with an injury. At least that's how brittle I'm feeling. I plan on spending the heat of the summer working on flexibility training; incorporating lots of yoga, and tackling the Pilates learning curve. Going heavy on cardio and light on weights. My mind and body will be healthier for it.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 06:25 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy -

I'm not sure but I think the difference between the two types of workouts is one is for strength (Cathe) and the other for endurance (Joyce).

There was a recent post about this. Strength - for example - would be picking up your child. Endurance - would be holding your child for a half hour. Also there was some mention in that same thread about how each one employs either the slow twitch or fast twitch muscles. Not sure which is which.

As I look back and read this, I can tell that I'm not being much help but I'm trying!
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 08:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I've heard this before

There was a woman who used to visit this forum (she doesn't any more) who normally used heavy weights, but always switched to Joyce just before swimsuit season because she said the smaller weights and greater reps gave her more definition.

This subject has been discussed a lot on this forum, and I think it comes down to doing what works for you. It's clear that the lighter weight approach does work for many people.
Old 05-27-02, 09:14 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Thanks!

I think I'll stick to one or two extra Cathe lowerbody endurance workouts while I'm still using Joyce's workouts. Maybe Leaner Legs and the squats/lunges section of PowerHour just so I don't feel like I'm losing size so much. I was thinking I would get really off balance if I used different approaches on upper and lower body...i.e. light weight/more rep upperbody and heavy/less rep lowerbody. I like both, I was just was surprised that it would make such a big difference.
Old 05-27-02, 06:08 PM  
vron30075
VF Supporter

I'm just wondering, what do ya'll consider "light" as opposed to heavy?

I normally use 5-10-15. If I were to go light, what should I use?

Thanks!
Rhonda
vron30075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 06:46 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Hi Rhonda

When I use Joyce Vedral's workouts I use 6-8-10 lb. weights for upperbody....and 8-10-12 lb. weights plus 3 lb. ankle weights for lowerbody.

Now with Cathe workouts I normally use 8 to 15 lb. weights (or up to 20 lbs. w/Slow & Heavy)for upperbody....and 12 to 25 lbs. (or up to a 50 lb. barbell) with lowerbody.

I think on Joyce's Fast Forward workouts which I did for the first time this week, I may be able to go a little heavier. She has her daughter Marthe counting so she moves much slower.

HTH
Old 05-27-02, 08:03 PM  
Tait
VF Supporter

All I can say about Joyce is that I am having amazing results in only three weeks using her tapes. I never had such success with any of my other tapes. I am VERY pleased.

Susan
Tait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 08:13 PM  
Moi

woohoo Susan!

Which ones are you using? what is your rotation?

enquiring minds want to know...

Moi
Moi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast forward