Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-06, 10:36 AM  
Tish

Chicometrics: results?

I'm editing this from my earlier post because I'd really like to know how everyone is doing with Chicometrics.

I just ordered the older dvd and have to say I'm very impressed with their customer service. Ruthie is wonderful.

So, how are the results? Can you maintain upper body strength with this? Has anyone had noticeable inch loss?

I can't wait to try it!
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:00 PM  
Metaphora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish
(...) I'd really like to know how everyone is doing with Chicometrics. (...) I just ordered the older dvd (...)
I've had this for a few weeks ... the "older dvd," Chicometrics III ... and have been doing it regularly. I don't think it's been long enough to see how well this type of exercise will maintain upper body strength, and I haven't bothered with measurements. I have used dynamic tension workouts - with light weights - for upper body before (ex: Joyce Vedral's 12 Minute Workout book routine) and found them very effective.

However, what I did realize after several sessions was that, for me, Chicometrics is overall much inferior to Callanetics and may even be harmful. I was extremely uncomfortable in most of the legwork poses - the side-lying moves made my shoulders and arms start going numb, and hurt my neck, while the working leg didn't feel like it was "working" very much, either. I did like the extended lateral leg lifts while seated on the chair, as they seemed to work the muscles just as hard as the floor-seated leg lifts in Callanetics, but from a different angle. I didn't enjoy the ab work at all ... it seemed unsafe and hard on my neck. Callanetics ab work is much more comfortable on my neck while still feeling more effective.

I very much missed the lovely stretches incorporated throughout Callanetics - I found the Chicometrics stretches barely adequate. And the warming-up triceps exercise in Callanetics seems to work the backs of my arms harder than any of the Chicometrics moves.

What I've ended up doing is adding in the upper body portions of Chicometrics after doing Callanetics. Other than the upper body work, I'll sometimes sub in the chair-seated leg lift for a variation to the Callanetics version, and I'll add the "bad dogs."

Chico's very nice to work out with; I enjoy his personality. I still plan to get the newer Chicometrics DVD once it's actually available online.
Metaphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 10:27 PM  
ladmin

I got results...

I received the video (Chico III) last week, did it four times and lost 5.25 inches (3 inches alone between my waist & lower hips). I did cardio on alternating days, and didn't modify my eating. I've also done Callanetics (I did it regularly for about 1.5 years). I like Chico's total body focus, and his positions seem less awkward than Callan's. It's too soon to tell if I'll be able to keep any upper body conditioning, but those one arm tricep dips are pretty intense! I'll probably alternate Chico III & Super Callanetics, since Callan does have longer stretches, and her workout is great for the end of the day.

Kayz
ladmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension