Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-18, 09:07 PM  
bfit

Has anyone done the Iso Towel workout?

Has anyone done this workout? If so, do you think it's best for toning or for stretching or something else? I did it for the first time today. I didn't dislike it, but I found myself wondering what the purpose of it is or what "kind" of workout it's meant to be.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 01:17 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

There's a few comments in this thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...40#post2782140
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 02:08 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

This workout is for toning.

Besides what I wrote in the thread that was just referenced, I'll say that since then, delving a bit into the subject of the current research on fascia (the web of connective tissue enveloping muscles, nerves, organs and bones, etc.), I have an even greater appreciaton of isometric workouts, "dynamic strength training", "resistance stretching" (Bob Cooley, Dara Torres), and Miranda's "Eccentrics" or even of Pilates with its counter-extensions -- all of which involve creating tension (by opposing lines of force -- contracting what you are stretching/pushing and vv.) not only in whatever muscle is being strengthened or stretched, but also in the enveloping fascia, toning it. And this tension in the fascia radiates, thanks to its pervasiveness, to the surrounding muscles, nerves, organs, bone, etc., and beyond, thereby augmenting the benefits of these exercises. So I think isometric exercise has been undervalued - though not by martial artists.
Old 08-19-18, 02:14 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

duplicated

Tags
bob cooley, dara torres, dynamic tension, iso towel