Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-23, 07:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

How much longer will DVDs be sold?

I was just reading that Best Buy will stop selling DVDs by early next year. https://variety.com/2023/digital/new...es-1235754919/

That leaves Walmart, Target, dollar stores and I guess some warehouse stores in addition to online. Honestly I can't remember the last time I bought a workout DVD in a retail store. Best Buy had good January sales back in the day.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-23, 08:05 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I was just reading that Best Buy will stop selling DVDs by early next year. https://variety.com/2023/digital/new...es-1235754919/

That leaves Walmart, Target, dollar stores and I guess some warehouse stores in addition to online. Honestly I can't remember the last time I bought a workout DVD in a retail store. Best Buy had good January sales back in the day.
That’s why I’ve been getting oldie workout dvds via Mary’s site or eBay. I’ve got a dvd player stored in addition to some gaming consoles and a portable dvd player for a computer as supply/demand dwindles.

I guess the same can be said of physical books although I think there are many who still prefer the physical books to ebooks.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 06:29 AM  
alisoncooks

I had a hard time finding a dvd player when my living room one died recently. I ended up just shifting my bedroom one to there.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 07:05 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I had a hard time finding a dvd player when my living room one died recently. I ended up just shifting my bedroom one to there.
Eek. Maybe I should look for one now. Mine won't last forever, and then what?

ETA: There are tons of them on Amazon - and cheap!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 09:08 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I would try estate sales for DVD players! That's what I plan to do, if I see that they're in good condition.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 09:26 AM  
sherry7899

I see dvd players in thrift stores all the time.

Maybe I will pick up a back up one to keep just in case.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 10:07 AM  
Gams

When I workout, I use DVDs almost exclusively. I have several Onn portable DVD players and they start out with about 5 1/2 hours of play time using the battery. That dwindles over time, but the one I bought in January still runs about that long on battery and the one I bought a year and a half ago lasts about 3 hours now on the battery. The DVD player costs $79, so I don’t mind buying a new one every couple of years and I like having back ups. I try to workout outside whenever possible so I can exercise and watch my dogs run around in the yard at the same time. I think I’ve purchased most of them at Walmart.

Last edited by Gams; 10-14-23 at 10:08 AM. Reason: To add purchase info
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 10:32 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Oh my! Thanks everyone for the responses. I really like having a portable DVD player. Mine is crappy tho and I've longed for a new, good-quality one. I guess I better get shopping soon!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 11:25 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

About the dwindling of regular DVDs...

a. I only buy fitness DVDs that are "regular DVDs" since that's the only format they come in (vs. blu ray)
b. Feature films are purchased in blu-ray unless they only come in regular format.

that said, i haven't purchased a feature-film in regular DVD format in ages, including from thrift stores where they are abundant.

Fitness DVDs have been from VF Roost, Mary, Amazon, Ebay thrift stores, and library book sales.

DVD and blu-ray players:

As far as players, I have 2 portables: one is a Sony and the second is a 12" region-free brand named DBPOWER from Amazon. we use a Playstation 4 to play blu-ray. the PS4 somehow stopped playing regular DVDs. I'm not sure what the problem is. i read online that the PS4 might need a firm-ware update, meaning sitting there reading online directions! the PS4 plays blu-ray without a hitch.

I have a few DVD non-portables: an old Sony 5-disc player (my original DVD player from eons ago) and a region-free Panasonic that i bought from a craigslist seller who was originally from Australia! this was quite a find! i paid something like $25.

my laptop still has an internal DVD drive which i've been using since the early part of the pandemic for workout DVDs. last Christmas, I bought an external DVD drive for DH's laptop. it plugs into the USB port. This might be an option for people who want to use their laptop to play DVDs.

I'm a little concerned about blu-ray players. the PS4 plays them quite well. we also have a Samsung non-portable blu ray player that is still in the box. the reason i'm concerned about blu-ray players is because we have a lot of blu-ray movies.

Last time i checked, the portable blu ray players and the USB blu ray players for laptops were expensive. i'm hoping these 2 types of blu ray players go down in price. this would allow me more opportunities to watch blu-rays all over the house and not be stuck to the behemoth TV/stationary set-up in the living room!

one word of caution about buying used non-portable DVD players - make sure they're HDMI compatible.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-23, 12:16 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
You may as well buy a blu-ray player since they also play DVDs. A lot of them also play discs with mp4's burned onto them from the computer, or mp4's from a thumb drive (I saved a lot of old Youtube videos on thumb drives).

I still have my old Pioneer multi disc player! Haven't used it in years though.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, dvds, dvds vs streaming