Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-10, 08:31 PM  
parker

Help Please! Tonique is making me bigger.

Ok so I posted that I was going to stick with a Tonique rotation for four weeks but today was my last day of week three and my clothes are soooo tight. It's Saturday night and I am trying to get dressed and nothing fits. It's frustrating.

So here's my question. . . will it get better? I am definitely getting in better shape and stronger which I love but I really want my clothes to fit again(I refuse to buy a new wardrobe). I've basically gone up a size in three weeks. (my diet has been the same and it's not ttom) I'm tempted to join the Tracy Anderson/Barre bandwagon. Will that give me some slimming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like the odd one out because everyone else seems to have had great results with Tonique. I'm stumped. I know we all have to find what works for us but I'm surprised that my first attempt has made me bigger. Process of elimination I guess. I'd love to hear your stories of how you found what works for you. Thanks so much.

Parker
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 08:41 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

What were you doing before? I can see if somebody was mostly doing a cardio/barre/floorwork rotation and then doing Tonique, then they might get bigger especially in the legs. However, if somebody was coming from a Cathe, Firm, or other DVDs that use less reps/medium-heavy weights for their legs type of rotation then they might see slimming results in their legs using Tonique.
Old 05-23-10, 12:23 AM  
parker

Helen- You're right. I was doing mostly cardio(walking/running) with occasional pilates/floorwork. Guess that's why I got bigger. Just surprised it could happen so fast. Thanks for your input.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 10:27 AM  
marzey2

The same thing is happening to me Parker. I am up 6-7 lbs from 2 weeks ago and nothing fits. My thighs are rubbing together and I feel like a total swollen mess. I will be starting my 3rd week of Tonique 1 and have been doing it 3 times a week for the past 2 weeks with running or the eliptical in between. so basically, i am doing cardio 5-6 days a week and getting bigger.

Hopefully others will chime in and say the same thing happened to them and then they shrunk in the 4th week.
marzey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 01:11 PM  
cowfishpro

I don't have Tonique, but do you think the larger size could just be swollen muscles holding on to glycogen which grabs water until the body adjusts to the new work load?

Whenever I switch back to barre workouts after time off, the first two weeks, my thighs swell up. After that, they lean out again.

Just a thought.
Old 05-23-10, 06:15 PM  
pbnj

It took me a month to start shrinking....I was bigger too from Tonique at first, then I started shrinking down. It's so leg-intesive, so to me, it makes sense to retain water for a while.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:22 PM  
Inchworm

I personally feel that I get the best results when combining something like Tonique/BBL with Barre and lengthening workouts. I only do 1-2 days a week of a Tonique/BBL lunge/squat combo work and the others are Barre Work like Bar Method (newer ones) and Exhale Core Fusion Glutes and Thighs. I'm getting such great results. I feel that they complement each other well.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 01:53 PM  
willowey124

Hi Parker,

I'm sorry you are not experiencing the results you want! I started to see slimming results after about 2-3 weeks doing Tonique 3 x per week. Prior to starting Tonique, I was doing Hiit cardio, step, and the occasional circuit workout. I was definitely bloated and a little "swollen" after the first week, but after 2-3 weeks, I was able to fit into a few pairs of trousers that I hadn't been able to wear for some time (they were still tight, but they fitted, wheras before they hadn't at all!). I know every "body" is different, and I know that in the past when I have changed up my routine by doing heavy weight work, I have bloated for several weeks before it evened out. For me personally, Tonique is working wonders on my body, but I think you should always listen to your own body and instincts on what you think works for you. I am pretty sure that most people believe you should stick with a new programme for 4-6 weeks in order to see tangible results. I didn't weigh myself until the 4 week mark (at which point I had lost 5lbs) and then again at the 8 week mark (11lbs lost). Had I weighed myself within the first week or so, I really think I would have seen an upward rise on the scale and been dis-heartened.
I really hope you find what works for you - it's really frustrating when you hear how everyone else seems to getting great results from a programme, only to do it yourself and not get the same payback. Hang in there and please keep us updated!
Kaz x
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 10:17 PM  
JENILU

Parker, how did things end up on this? Did you find that it was just swelling? Did you end up sticking with it? What were your results? I'd love to know how things turned out for you!!
Jen
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 05:29 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
I personally feel that I get the best results when combining something like Tonique/BBL with Barre and lengthening workouts. I only do 1-2 days a week of a Tonique/BBL lunge/squat combo work and the others are Barre Work like Bar Method (newer ones) and Exhale Core Fusion Glutes and Thighs. I'm getting such great results. I feel that they complement each other well.

Kelly
Tradtional/high rep exercises combined with larger range movements has been the ticket for me!

Tags
tonique