Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-20, 05:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I’m not sure what flat back ab work is, but there are times I do seated ab work. I probably don’t always think about my form because I’m too busy trying to survive the ab work!
seated flatback ab work with a barre is when:
  • you're seated on floor
  • back flat against a wall
  • arms are up
  • holding onto a horizontal barre
  • your legs are straight, 1" off the floor
  • sweeping legs together and out, together and out

you can do this with a heavy piece of furniture behind you, like a couch, but you need to be able to grab onto something in order to move your legs back and forth.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:03 AM  
Kiwi Katie

I'm glad I bought my Fluidity barre though I'm pretty lazy at times and often go get a kitchen chair instead of spending the extra 30 seconds to unfold it :-)

It is extremely solid and sturdy. You will notice this if, like me, you regularly manage to drop one of the parts down on your shins or toes as you carelessly unfold it. For some reason I keep doing this. I never learn.
Kiwi Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 07:16 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
seated flatback ab work with a barre is when:
  • you're seated on floor
  • back flat against a wall
  • arms are up
  • holding onto a horizontal barre
  • your legs are straight, 1" off the floor
  • sweeping legs together and out, together and out

you can do this with a heavy piece of furniture behind you, like a couch, but you need to be able to grab onto something in order to move your legs back and forth.
This in making me really want the barre! I’ve never done any flat back exercise and it sounds great for the abs and pelvic floor area.
Old 06-05-20, 07:20 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Katie View Post
I'm glad I bought my Fluidity barre though I'm pretty lazy at times and often go get a kitchen chair instead of spending the extra 30 seconds to unfold it :-)

It is extremely solid and sturdy. You will notice this if, like me, you regularly manage to drop one of the parts down on your shins or toes as you carelessly unfold it. For some reason I keep doing this. I never learn.
Egads! Thanks for the warning! I frequently have bruises of unknown origin because I hit countertop corners, table legs, etc.
Old 06-05-20, 08:32 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
This in making me really want the barre! I’ve never done any flat back exercise and it sounds great for the abs and pelvic floor area.
It's SO HARD.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 10:43 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Katie View Post

I bought my bar about 15 years ago. I paid full price for whatever the charge was from that old infomercial. I have NEVER regretted it. I keep it up in my back room, which has my dedicated workout area and my dedicated office area. I use it all the time--for Classical Stretch, for Callanetics, for any challenging balance work, and for all my barre workouts.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 02:57 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I bought my bar about 15 years ago. I paid full price for whatever the charge was from that old infomercial. I have NEVER regretted it. I keep it up in my back room, which has my dedicated workout area and my dedicated office area. I use it all the time--for Classical Stretch, for Callanetics, for any challenging balance work, and for all my barre workouts.
I discovered a few YouTube clips of people using the bar. One of the clips showed how to open/close and move the barre. It didn’t seem too difficult. That was my biggest fear from the reviews I read. The exercises I previewed seem so effective that I am really excited about getting the barre. I’ve never done a pull-up so am excited about that too.
Old 06-05-20, 03:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
It's SO HARD.
it is. callanetics was the first time i learned that move. Callan mentioned football player clients who couldn't do it at first.

another thing the FB can do is you can face the barre, grab hold, and lean back. it will stay put. DH noticed this too when he was trying it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 08:22 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
it is. callanetics was the first time i learned that move. Callan mentioned football player clients who couldn't do it at first.

another thing the FB can do is you can face the barre, grab hold, and lean back. it will stay put. DH noticed this too when he was trying it.
Yes, the Fluidity workouts use that posture for "waterski seat work."

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 09:57 AM  
JeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Me too. I actually bought a back up Fluidity bar from a friend that bought one and never used it. I love being able to pull away from it and do pull-ups. It’s in my home office/workout room.

If the only issue is being able to do a squat and lean your body weight back, what about a suspension trainer?
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booty kicker, diy barre, fit tower, fluidity bar, fluidity barre, turbo tower