Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-05-20, 09:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pat, I did hear that TP and water are flying off the shelves again. I have to get groceries on Monday so I need to be mindful of anything I might need to buy extras of (but not hoarding). Is Glo a subscription service?
Vantreesta, Glo was formerly known as YogaGlo. It is a streaming service. I love it and use it most days. It has a huge variety of yoga and they have added Pilates, barre and other workouts.

I went to BJ's warehouse and then Costco last night and was shocked to see both were out of paper towels and TP. They put the "one per customer" signs back up over the empty shelves. I've been noticing a large reduction in canned and frozen foods too. I read some news sources that confirmed people are once again hoarding because of the COVID spikes and because of the election. I'm hoping to find gluten free products because those are usually in a small section of the stores, and last time someone in my locale completely bought out all of the GF products.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 11:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Mind if I join in? I'm struggling to meditate, so maybe finding a new way to remind myself to just get it done will be helpful.
Just did the new compassion meditation that YogiBethC put up on Youtube.
Nicely gentle reminder for some self care. ...
Welcome, Anna! I need to check out Beth's new meditation. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Pat, I did hear that TP and water are flying off the shelves again. I have to get groceries on Monday so I need to be mindful of anything I might need to buy extras of (but not hoarding). ...
Yes, I heard that folks are hoarding again. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to have enough staples on our shelves. It's the folks who buy things that are in a shortage and then sell them on Amazon or eBay at gouging prices that rile me up.

We hadn't been inside a large chain grocery store since March. (We do the Walmart pick-up thing.) There was one trip to Trader Joe's a few weeks ago that made me not want to return there. The other day, we actually drove to another county with better Covid numbers to go inside a supermarket. We bought some favorite things we haven't had in a while.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 12:43 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
... Anna, it's good to see you here. Thanks for mentioning Beth's new meditation. I don't think YouTube notified me; I'll have to check it out. I'm not having a problem with consistency in meditating, I'm being obsessive about it spending so much time I struggle to get everything else done! Maybe we can support each other in finding a better balance.
I'm obsessive about checking my youtube subscription page, so I don't usually miss things.

The more I think I've found a sort of balance, things go off kilter again. Sigh. Really not feeling as if I'm doing well lately. Stress is a big part of it, but so is isolation.

As for meditating, yesterday I did Beth's compassion one, then somehow managed to get around to buying/downloading the longer meditation from Pauline McKinnon. It's so similar to the other one on Youtube that I'm not sure I recommend buying it. There's a point at which her guiding instructions pause and if you have the shorter one, I think it's just as easy to pause the recording, continue meditating for the extra interval that you want, then continue.

When I was obsessively trying not to download something from her site (an unknown site, in a foreign country), I did find these compilations of samples one and two
that might be of interest. The only one I've used is the short Mckinnon one in the first set.

Anyway, back to the me-me-me of it all, I did feel very clever for having (finally) bought the longer session download from Mckinnon's site, figured out how to convert the WAV format to mp3 and saved it to my mp3 player.
Clunky and awkward, but it worked.

I guess I'm mostly just glad I now have the longer McKinnon meditation available whenever I want it. Fiddling with a timer mid session was awkward.

In other self-care stuff, I've been working with my bullet journal, and have switched to making extensive daily notes so that at the end of the month maybe I can make better sense of the stuff I've been struggling with.

I've also been making reading notes from the Xiu Yang book by Mimi Kuo-Deemer. I like it, and look forward to getting to the meat of the book, but I'm struggling to focus. The note taking helps. I set a timer and work for a while.

It does sometimes help if I light a candle and some incense as I prepare to do that sort of paper/writing work.

Now I'm debating whether or not I should make the 30 minute drive to the sewing machine shop to find out if the shop (and my sewing machine) are okay after the storm. Based on their FB notes, I'd say both are fine, but I do just want to know. Picked a heck of a time to drop my machine off, LOL!!
Old 11-12-20, 12:04 AM  
Vantreesta

Anna, I see you do bullet journaling. I don't know what that is really but I've heard people say it's a lot of work to set up. I haven't made any progress at all toward journaling and am considering buying a guided journal, at least to start. There are so many though that I don't know where to start!

My great-uncle passed away on Monday from covid and double pneumonia. Pretty much his whole family has or had covid. I am so ready for 2020 to end.

Hoping to have more time for responses and comments this wknd.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 06:04 AM  
DCW

Walked in the rain yesterday. Yup I got wet. It was a good and mentally different walk.

My aunt encouraged me to do "swing by" visits. She has had several visitors who stay in the car while she is on her steps. It does everybody good. Guess what I am doing this weekend??
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 07:51 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Anna, I see you do bullet journaling. I don't know what that is really but I've heard people say it's a lot of work to set up. I haven't made any progress at all toward journaling and am considering buying a guided journal, at least to start. There are so many though that I don't know where to start!

My great-uncle passed away on Monday from covid and double pneumonia. Pretty much his whole family has or had covid. I am so ready for 2020 to end.

Hoping to have more time for responses and comments this wknd.
I'm so sorry for your loss! This has been such an awful year.

About bullet journaling: It's a style of journaling that was created by Ryder Carroll, who developed it over the years as a coping mechanism so he could keep track of the stuff he needed to keep track of despite his ADHD. He eventually wrote a book, which has inspired a zillion Youtubers to get wildly creative.

The basic system is very simple and straightforward. No artistic abilities or fancy notebooks required. Here's a link to his website. https://bulletjournal.com/pages/learn There's some explanation and some videos to get you started. Truly nothing elaborate required.

If you're intrigued, I strongly recommend reading his book. I was impressed enough that I made notes from cover to cover just so I could have something to refer to when I returned the library book.

On the other hand, if you do want some sort of guided system, go for it! Whatever works, you know? There are tons of great planners out there (and even more Youtubers willing to blather about it on their channels, LOL!)
Old 11-12-20, 10:37 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you, Anna! I'll have a look.

Yes, it has been a pretty rotten year overall. But I try every day to be grateful and look for the good. A friend of ours got a new job he really wanted and is really enjoying it. Those are the things I want to think on! I have been doing affirmations and it really is helping me start the day off right.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-13-20, 06:20 AM  
DCW

I am so sorry for your loss. It's been a tough tough year. This virus will shape us for years. So much loss, sadness, fear, and disappointment. We mourn and grieve for our loved ones but I feel an overwhelming sadness for people I don't know who mourn and grieve also.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 07:27 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, DCW. I agree with you, it's been a very hard year for most people. One we won't likely forget even though we'd like to. I honestly feel like my morning ritual helps me cope with everything. It is smthg I look forward to each day and most of the time it's helping me get out of bed bc I know first thing will be smthg calm and grounding.

Old 11-17-20, 10:42 AM  
fanofladyvols

It appears my self care challenge this month is to have as many rest days as possible, lol. I don't know what is going on but just gonna roll with it...

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coping with adversity, meditation, self-care