Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-20, 12:30 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My DH just smiles at my collection of workouts, fitness equipment, & other various therapeutic “torture devices” as he calls them. I love back/neck stretchers and acupressure devices. And he’s always telling me how great I look. He, along with a friend, converted a small attached garage to, as he calls it, my yoga room. It’s my own personal workout space with room for all my fitness paraphernalia.
Same with my husband, he’s used to it after 35 years of me collecting vhs, dvds, and equipment. We were laughing the other day about how I had inadvertently prepped for the pandemic gym equipment shortage!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:35 PM  
Hsim

I am not in the big leagues yet but I have been on a buying binge over the last several years. I was trying to amass a collection so that I wouldn't have to buy any when I retired. I keep track of my collection on an excel spreadsheet and make sure that I rotate through all of them. If I don't like them I mark them in red and see if I feel the same way next time I do it.
A few weeks ago it dawned on me that I was tired of my big collection (as more continued to arrive at my doorstep). I am going to keep those I really like and enjoy and that challenge me. The ones that don't fit into those categories are either being put on Share the Wealth or put in a box for the day when I need less of challenge. I have also decided that I am not buying any more DVDs.
Sometime in the future I will stream.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 01:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Same with my husband, he’s used to it after 35 years of me collecting vhs, dvds, and equipment. We were laughing the other day about how I had inadvertently prepped for the pandemic gym equipment shortage!
Yep, fully equipped for lockdown, lol!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 01:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Just an FYI....when I purged I had a huge number to give away. I lined them up like books and took pictures of them in genre groups. Then I posted the pictures in my profile. It was easier than typing in all the titles.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 01:34 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
My collection is largely an archive. As I've gotten older I simply can't do things I used to, but I cling to the idea that I'll someday regain the strength and stamina the old workouts will require. Also, lots of them are out of production, so if I got rid of them I'd likely never be able to get them again without spending MORE money. For now, everything but my favorite yoga dvds and all my CS, is just a collection.

I've regained a lot of strength in the last six months, but I'm as vulnerable to overuse injuries as ever, so I don't push my luck.

What will I ultimately do with them? I've no idea, but for now they are mine, all mine. Scrooge McDuck has nothing on me.
This is me! My plan though is that once I retire, I'll be able to start with the easiest workouts, get stronger, and eventually make my way through even all my Cathe DVD. For now, I fluctuate between Jessica Smith and KCM.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 02:04 PM  
Scorpio6

With me, I go thru periods of time where I can't do much exercise bc of one thing or another, then start up again. Also, something I didn't have much interest in with previous years, all of a sudden I feel like it's the right thing for me to do.
And, DVDs are going away, I don't ever want to be cut off from being able to access something I OWN, as comparied to streaming which is unreliable and ephemeral in my opinion. I don't have the flexibility with streaming I have with my own DVDs.
So no, not throwing out anything. And after I pass, by that time they will be collector items, some of them already are, and hubby should be able to get a good price for them.

Last edited by Scorpio6; 07-26-20 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 02:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Well, in answer to your original question, I DON'T get to them all. There are only so many hours in the day. I haven't counted how many I have in my collection, but I expect it's 500 and probably closer to 600. Do I feel guilty? No. As your DH said, there are a whole lot more expensive and worse hobbies to have. My collection is housed on what was formerly a bookshelf, and that's not a whole lot of room.

I have very few true virgins, but I have plenty that I don't remember as I've been discovering in my Cathe old-to-new adventure. I've been collecting them starting with VHS since the 80s, and the only ones I've gotten rid of are some duplicates and some VHS that I have on DVD. I'm not buying much these days, but then again I have a whole lot. I rarely try new instructors and since DVDs are going away I will be buying less.

My tastes change, and I will go through spurts with a particular instructor, then switch to another, or mix them all up. There are some that I really should let go as the style hasn't suited me for years, but haven't done so yet.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 03:55 PM  
fanofladyvols

Bubbles, I have no guilt about my large collection.
My collection actually began to be larger with a VFer who donated to me her Bodybar VHS. I still have them and some are workouts that never made it to DVD.

Ever since then my collection is also about exploring other instructors or being ready to. I am just now trying some DVD metabolic sets that others have known about for years. It's wonderful to have that 'new' to look forward to when the DVD production has crawled to nearly a halt.

My VHS and DVD collection is what I get as gifts...rarely shop for clothes and most are used, not flowers, not jewelry, not candy.It's like visiting a museum to look through them.

Some of the beginner ones have turned into lovely exercise classes with DD and helpful for rehabbing myself or with giving others IRL advice. So I'm glad I don't often purge.

I will say it IS fun sharing the ones I don't feel I will love with others on VF too. If I get a feeling after doing a new to me workout, (or looking at a workout when creating a rotation) that I won't return to it, I put it on another shelf and those are usually rarely absorbed back into the collection.

On my bookshelf, the new to me are on a separate shelf. All the ones I have tried are on other shelves separated by Cardio/total body strength/upper strength/ lower strength/ abs/ pilates, yoga, stretch. I have them organized by instructors. I put Kelly and Cathe close to each other with Tony in between so they can get along.

I maintain a list that has all the videos I own listed by the instructors. It's all pretty easy to shop for a substitute or create a rotation.

Enjoy your collection... whatever you decide on how to maintain it

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 06:45 PM  
muggle

I agree with others when I say tastes change, abilities change and life changes. I have about 350 or so. They’re on a shelf and I move them from the top shelf to the bottom of the shelf as I do them. This way if something is kind of “stuck” on the top shelf it’s because of dread factor and I’m avoiding it. These days if that happens and I’m not looking forward to a workout...I sell it or give it away. Life is short. I purposely keep my library this size and no bigger. If I buy something I want to use it and not just waste my money. I love all my dvds and toys!!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 10:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i can relate to all of what everyone posted, except that we do have a good internet connection if i wanted to stream. i choose to not stream, however, in favor of using my DVDs. like Bubbles, i have been on a Virgin Tour the past several months. i also notice that i continue to learn from them as i do them.

i also feel that my DVDs have gained a sense of entitlement among my possessions - it's hard for me to decide about getting rid of them! i have traded a few.

one thing that looms over my head is how would my family purge my collection when i pass or become incapacitated? this came up when my parents passed away over the past several years, and we had to decide what to do with their possessions. this subject has come up on VF in the past.

i'll probably take the cues from the people here - once you're good and ready (like an impending move), you'll make that decision.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acupressure, analysis paralysis, big workout collection, decluttering, dvds versus streaming, large collection, videots unite, vidiocy, workout space