Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-06, 10:25 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

WOW, this is an interesting thread. I have a rebounder that I seldom use. I figured that the jumping up and down I do on the floor would stimulate the same type of lymphatic cleansing. I mostly got it for when I wanted to lower-impact stuff. Maybe I should pull it out more often!
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 11:09 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I don't know if this helps, but when I used my heart rate monitor, I figured out my usual rebounding (jumping jacks) burns about the same calories as moderate walking and in no way competes to running as some manufacturers would have you believe. If I REALLY crazy-stomp on it and throw in tons of punching moves, I can get my heart rate up, but it gets dangerous doing that.

If I were to jump without my contacts in, I'd surely fall off and injure myself. When someone suggested we could improve our feet strength by jumping without shoes, I broke a toe, so I know my limitations.

That said, I like rebounding and am looking forward to G-Force II!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 02:44 PM  
horsemom2

just wanted to add

I see the eye doctor once a year cuz my sister has glaucoma and macular degeneration and today was the day. My pressure was 11 (12-21 being normal pressure). My sister was an avid runner, swimmer, walker, tennis player all of her adult life while I was the couch potato till 7 years ago. Her HDL is through the roof with low LDL while I am on Lipitor for high LDL. She is also fine boned with osteoporosis while I am large boned and just under Osteopenia -0.9
She has had knee surgeries and PT on both knees while I get away with just a twinge here and there.

Rebounding? could be a factor
or Maybe one of us was adopted?

Barb S
whose distance vison was way too far gone before I started rebounding to ever hope for going without corrective lens but can see fine near
(have to wear glasses when rebounding or risk falling off)

ETA: sorry for typos from eyes being dilated LOL)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 05:31 PM  
tltinatl

I don't know if it stimulates your lymphatic system, but it stimulated the girl who lives below me to come up here last Saturday, as I was finishing Interval Bound, to ask what I was doing because it sounded like there was a "machine running" up here, and like her ceiling was "about to fall in." I really miss the concrete construction buildings I lived in for the last five years. This rickety, overpriced, wood framed crap is for the birds. I very specifically requested a first-floor unit, but when I showed up with my truck full of stuff from four states away, the key and lease they gave me were for a THIRD floor apartment.

Anyway, I was going to hour-long rebounding classes twice a week for well over a year and I still had plenty of cellulite. Alas, I think it's just another dubious Benson claim.

That said, I will be buying G-Force II as well, because I love it even if it doesn't make me look any better.

My vision has been awful since I was seven years old, so it's probably too far gone to be mitigated by rebounding at this point.
tltinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 06:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tltinatl
I don't know if it stimulates your lymphatic system, but it stimulated the girl who lives below me to come up here last Saturday, as I was finishing Interval Bound, to ask what I was doing because it sounded like there was a "machine running" up here, and like her ceiling was "about to fall in." I really miss the concrete construction buildings I lived in for the last five years. This rickety, overpriced, wood framed crap is for the birds.
That totally sucks! I'm so lucky I'm on the 2nd floor of my building so I have solid concrete under my wood flooring and my downstairs neighbor (lobby level) has 10+ft high ceilings so they don't hear anything from our apartment.
Quote:
Anyway, I was going to hour-long rebounding classes twice a week for well ove a year and I still had plenty of cellulite. Alas, I think it's just another dubious Benson claim.
Actually, it's been claimed by others before her. And there might be something to it, if for no other reason than rebounding increases circulation throughout your body. But I think for it to really make a difference in cellulite - if it will - you have to do it at least 10-15 minutes every day for a long time (think years).
Quote:
My vision has been awful since I was seven years old, so it's probably too far gone to be mitigated by rebounding at this point.
I too have had awful vision since I was about 6 or 7 and it has progressively gotten worse. I'm thinking rebounding without lenses would make me dizzy and cause headaches if I did it for long stretches, so I'm going to try for about 5 minutes at a time - at least initially - and see how I feel. I know I've read that the increased circulation is really healthy for your eyes anyway but I think to attempt to make a difference in actual vision you need to work at focusing your eyes without correcting their sight.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 06:30 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tltinatl
I don't know if it stimulates your lymphatic system, but it stimulated the girl who lives below me to come up here last Saturday, as I was finishing Interval Bound, to ask what I was doing because it sounded like there was a "machine running" up here, and like her ceiling was "about to fall in." I really miss the concrete construction buildings I lived in for the last five years. This rickety, overpriced, wood framed crap is for the birds. I very specifically requested a first-floor unit, but when I showed up with my truck full of stuff from four states away, the key and lease they gave me were for a THIRD floor apartment.
I feel your pain! I'm on the second floor and I'm moving into a first floor apartment on December 1st. Zippity freakin' do-dah!
Old 11-17-06, 11:13 PM  
fatkat555

I would guess (keep in mind now this it just a guess) that if rebounding stimulates the lymphatic system that it also helps with fluid retention. Fluid retention can make the appearance of cellulite worse ( I used to fly for a living. My legs looked horrible after a day of flying and, although not great, looked better in the morning after the ol' kidneys could go to work.) So, maybe it doesn't "bust cellulite" but helps make it appear less noticable. Maybe??
Fatkat
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 10:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

When I was testing out the Urban Rebounder at a fitness convention, I asked the guy if rebounding would make my face sag. He looked down at my chest and said, "Well, not your face..."

I had to laugh.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 11:07 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Alta!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 02:31 PM  
zaprascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555
I would guess (keep in mind now this it just a guess) that if rebounding stimulates the lymphatic system that it also helps with fluid retention. Fluid retention can make the appearance of cellulite worse ( I used to fly for a living. My legs looked horrible after a day of flying and, although not great, looked better in the morning after the ol' kidneys could go to work.) So, maybe it doesn't "bust cellulite" but helps make it appear less noticable. Maybe??
Fatkat
Interesting that you picked up on that fatkat.

I had been having an increasing problem with fluid around my ankles in the hot humid months until I started rebounding daily. It took me a while to make the connection between rebounding and no more fluid retention, though.

Still, I didn't notice a change in cellulite, though I wouldn't know how to measure a difference if there was a change.

Rebounding does make my hair and nails grow much faster. That's been easy to measure since I have my hair cut every 5 weeks.

I've stopped and started rebounding daily twice due to two injuries over the past year, and the hair and nail growth slowed to a comparative halt during my no-rebounding periods, even though I kept up with alternate workouts. Very interesting.

I think it may be due to the effect on every cell in your body of going from zero gravity to 2 times the normal pull of gravity with every bounce. I know Al Carter's book spells out the science behind this, but its been a while since I've read it.

"Motion is lotion." Dr. DiNubile
zaprascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses, rebounding