Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-05, 08:49 PM  
benemma

Glasses and Exercise

I normally wear contacts, but I have an eye infection, so I have to wear my glasses. * Yes, I am having waaaaay too many problems! * How the heck do you keep them on? Maybe mine are just not adjusted correctly, but they slid off over and over and over. OMG....how completely annoying. Anyway, how do you guys keep them on your face when you are all sweaty?

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 08:54 PM  
YOGISTEVEN

LOL!!!!! this is the bane of my existence! i can't go the contact route, i always ended up with an infection. anyway i finally found a pair that fit really snug-and they're kinda funky!-and stay put. keeping the sweat off is another issue normally i end up tossing them to the side about 15min in.
YOGISTEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 08:59 PM  
Tait
VF Supporter

I think you just need to have your glasses adjusted and they will be fine. I wear glasses and I never have that happen.
Old 10-27-05, 10:04 PM  
benemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGISTEVEN
LOL!!!!! this is the bane of my existence! i can't go the contact route, i always ended up with an infection. anyway i finally found a pair that fit really snug-and they're kinda funky!-and stay put. keeping the sweat off is another issue normally i end up tossing them to the side about 15min in.
Unfortunately I would probably break my neck. I am virtually blind without my glasses.

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 11:44 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I wear glasses sometimes while working out; if they fit you, they should stay put. The only time glasses are annoying is when I do yoga; I have to keep on taking them on and off, especially in down-dog or other inverted poses. Also, you can't wear them if you turn your head to the side while lying prone, and they are totally annoying when trying to do savasana or any type of meditation, even seated; the weight and feel of the glasses goes against the objective.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 12:49 AM  
Helen

I know a lot of surfers who NEED their glasses - similar issue.

You can get a strap that slips onto the lugs and passes around the back of your head. They're made of modern wetsuit material so they're quite soft and don't dig into your head.

Try a surf shop. Here's a picture I found.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 06:16 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tait
I think you just need to have your glasses adjusted and they will be fine. I wear glasses and I never have that happen.
I agree. Mine never slide off.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 06:19 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I have pretty bad vision but I don't wear mine when I workout. They don't fall off but do tend to bother me for some reason during a workout. I always preview the workout first but after that I just go by cues or I have done the workout enough to know what is coming.

I also used to wear contacts and LOVED THEM until I got pregnant with my 2nd son and after that I could not seem to wear them. I got to many infections.

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 06:31 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

I normally wear my glasses because I have astigmatism and can't find contacts to correct it. My glasses slide down my nose if I'm really sweaty but usually they don't bother me too much. I agree with the poster that suggested getting your glasses adjusted.

Even though I didn't buy my glasses at Walmart, they adjusted them and gave me new nose pieces for free.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 06:34 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'd take my glasses to where I got them (or any other store that sells lots of glasses) and ask them if they would adjust them so they could stay on. See if they can help. Most places with adjust glasses free of charge, especially if you bought them there.

I exercise with my glasses all the time and they stay on. And, I cannot imagine taking them off (except for examples like Abbe gave where you are lyling on the floor with your head turned). I'm blind as a bat!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses