Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-04, 09:24 PM  
nicki
VF Supporter

Pure Strength, Power Hour or MIS?

Hi all-

I've been viewing clips and digging through old posts trying to pick the best strength video for getting starting with Cathe. I'm basically a beginner to strength training. I did some work with KS Secrets but I just don't enjoy her enough to be consistent with this series- I know a lot of people like her- I do like her Kickboxing workout. I've also done the Dummies Weights video 4-5 times, but need something more.

I need to build strength and endurance, particularly in the quads, shoulders, upper back and core. I don't want to get bulky, but my lack of strength is affecting my horseback riding abilities and I want to improve it.

Which of these series would be best for my needs and gives the best form pointers? I plan to modify and use light (or even no weights for lower body) to start.

Thanks!
nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 09:45 PM  
Seabush

MIS. Cathe's form pointers are excellent during this workout.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 10:05 PM  
heatherelise
VF Supporter

I would go with either MIS or PS. Both are excellent. MIS is pretty long (imo) to tackle in one day, usually I break it into two days. PS is a three day split. I personally enjoy PS more. I think it has wonderful form pointers and I like the slower pace better than the pace in MIS. Both of these workouts though will build muscle and will have you feeling more confident on your horse. Heather
heatherelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 10:54 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like Cathe's new Push/Pull Supersets DVD. These workouts are excellent for those starting out, except that you need to have a stability ball for some of the exercises. These weight workouts are a bit easier than the ones you mentioned, but can be made harder as you get stronger. PP is a bit easier than SS.
Old 02-08-04, 11:42 AM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

I don't have PH or PS, but I like MIS because it's versatile. You can use it as a total body workout or as a split. The upper body work can also be broken down to work heavy throughout the week, emphasizing strength. The form pointers are great, and the pace is nice--the lower body portion is more endurance work than the upper body, which works well for me. It's also approachable for a beginner. You can start out with just the first set, adjust your weights, even just use dumbbells. It's a good one for those new to Cathe strength.

Sorry I can't give you more feedback on PS or PH--they're differently structured workouts, and might be a good compliment to MIS for alternate days.
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 03:28 PM  
Cate

My first Cathe's were the Pure Strength series and they are excellent. I also like Muscle Endurance for a total body workout. I do have Power Hour, but I think Muscle Endurance is better (just my opinion). I also have the Pyramid Series and the Slow and Heavy series--both of which are also excellent.
Old 02-09-04, 04:02 PM  
cmhazlett

For VHS: go with MIS. Pure Strength is a great set of workouts but not so good if you're time crunched. PH is also a good workout but doesn't have the form pointers of MIS plus it's not as easily dividable into upper & lower body.

For DVD: go with MIS/BodyMax/PH. 2nd choice in my book would be BootCamp/Muscle Endurance. 3rd would be the Pyramids.

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 04:14 PM  
Fitstick

Pure Strength!

I would go with Pure Strength. Its not as exhausting as MIS because the workouts are split into 3 parts, but you will definitely see strength gains because they are wonderful workouts! Either way you decide, you really can't go wrong with a Cathe workout.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 04:27 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

MIS is a good start because it is a total body workout. If you are just getting into weight training, it's good to do a full body routine about twice a week.

PS is good, but be careful when doing the bent over rows: Cathe and crew round their backs when doing the move, a definite no-no for back safety. Other than that, it's a good workout.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 04:45 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

MIS

A good, solid workout with great form pointers. Cathe calls it an endurance workout, but I think its just about midway between endurance and strength. And as was mentioned, it is easily split between upper and lower body.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
form pointers