Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-20, 12:25 PM  
kat999

Jane Fonda mini rotation

I recently splurged on a bunch of Jane Fonda classic workouts, and I'm going to do a little assessment of each one in this thread as I do it, probably one every few days. I owned a lot of these years ago on VHS, and I still had her yoga workout, which made its way into my rotation about once a year. However, after really hitting the home gym hard this year due to working from home and not having as much access to other workout spaces, I managed to make it through every other workout I owned and needed to return to something both new but also vaguely familiar. For many of these, it's been over 20 years since I've done them, and I also wanted to be entertained by the hard '80s vibe of it all.

First up was the classic original Workout, from 1982. There are two workouts on this DVD (which was mastered from an original laserdisc, and the logo proclaiming that at the beginning was pretty awesome). The DVD collection actually just came out a couple of years ago, as Jane does a little new intro and looks like she does on Grace & Frankie; I actually didn't watch the intro but had it on mute, as you can't skip to the menu without letting it play. (I may watch it another time, in case she gives warnings that some exercises are now quasi-dangerous or something.) The two workouts are Beginner (35 minutes) and Advanced (53 minutes). I opted for Beginner today but will switch to Advanced next time, and may then never go back to Beginner, because it was way, way too easy (I have been spending the year with the FIRM and Jari Love, for the most part, and have managed to build up quite a lot of cardio and strength endurance). This workout contains very little cardio, no weights, and is somewhat based on ballet, yoga, Pilates, and possibly even Callanetics. It all feels somewhat Tracey Anderson-esque (I think this style of workout influenced her, actually). There was a lot more floor work than I remembered. Ultimately, I burned very few calories, and the only really challenging move was the cool down, which consists entirely of doing a shoulder stand to plow pose and back again. I remember at 16 I was really good at that, but not so much at 45. I just kind of did as best I could, but ultimately I feel like that move is a little dangerous and if it's in the Advanced workout, I may swap it out for just hamstring stretches or something.

It was a lot of fun, though. So many leg warmers! Lots of whooping and shouting in the studio, which was annoying at first but then grew on me. If you hate cardio and want something retro that you could do on a day when you don't have much time, this isn't a bad choice.

Last edited by kat999; 12-05-20 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 12:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread! I'll follow along. I'm pretty sure I have all of the DVD releases. I wish Jane would put her step and yoga workouts on DVD.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 12:56 PM  
Gams

I’d like to see her step workouts on DVD, too. I asked her once if they would be, but her answer was kind of a lukewarm “maybe”.

I think I have most of her DVD releases, too, including her newer workouts.

I used to love her Complete Workout - even with my ex-husband making fun of me when I did my “turkey feathers.”
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 12:58 PM  
Kitten

I love Jane's workouts. They have a special place in my heart as her Complete Workout was the beginning of my descent into vidiocy.

I'm looking forward to reading your updates.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:42 PM  
kat999

Thanks, everybody! I had actually forgotten she had step workouts; apparently they are super hard to find, and yes, not released on DVD. After I posted this, I wound up ordering a couple more on Amazon. It's basically impossible to acquire a full collection at this point, but I'm going to do my best!
Old 12-06-20, 06:19 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Another one who hopes she releases her step workouts on DVD, another one I like is Workout w/Weights but that is not on DVD either. I discovered that one in 2007 when it was already 20 years old but have done it lots of times.

At least she put Lower Body Solution on DVD, like the floorwork on that one, and I like her Personal Trainer series DVD too.

I have Lean Routine and Low Impact workout too on DVD but haven't done those as much.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 02:18 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I have Lean Routine and Low Impact workout too on DVD but haven't done those as much.
I'm most excited to revisit those, actually, as they were my favorites back in the day. Honestly, I have no clue why I ditched them, other than that I was trying to focus on the FIRM and was a bit pressed for space.
Old 12-06-20, 05:06 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’d like to see her step workouts on DVD, too. I asked her once if they would be, but her answer was kind of a lukewarm “maybe”.

I think I have most of her DVD releases, too, including her newer workouts.

I used to love her Complete Workout - even with my ex-husband making fun of me when I did my “turkey feathers.”
A lukewarm “maybe” was something, I have tried a few times over the years but no reply at all. The only place I could find to contact was her website.
I would love the step workouts and the weights.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:57 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
A lukewarm “maybe” was something, I have tried a few times over the years but no reply at all. The only place I could find to contact was her website.
I would love the step workouts and the weights.
I tried a few times too, via her web page and Instagram. Nothing. I might try to find a VHS and have it converted.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 11:07 AM  
kat999

I think several of those are on YouTube, actually. Perhaps not the most legit of sources for them, but at least they're there.

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss