Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-20, 08:50 PM  
bfit

Sort of OT: Having a very hard time with injury

I really need some advice and support. I've written several times over the last few weeks about a foot injury. I've been to the doctor, the podiatrist, and a physical therapist. My doctor has been helpful, the podiatrist keeps giving me different diagnoses and yesterday he basically told me that he doesn't know what's wrong with my foot and good luck/goodbye, and the physical therapist actually did something to me that was contraindicated and reinjured me. I am not giving up trying to get a diagnosis, but in the meantime, I am really struggling with motivation to exercise. All I can do is chair exercise and swimming. Because of covid I can only go to the pool 3x a week for 45 minutes at a time, and that's not a lot of time to get much of a workout. For chair work it's all so slow, and I don't get my heart rate up. I've done every Caroline Jordan, Pahla B, and Paul Eugene over and over again by now. I've tried to adapt some of my other workouts like Jessica Smith to the chair, but there's so much of it I can't do. Even for the Minna Lessig One Minute Workout I skip half of the exercises that come up because I can't do them. Even workouts called "floor work" have so many planks and down dogs, and I can't do them. I am so fed up with exercise now I'm ready to quit. How can I get motivated to keep trucking on with this?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 09:17 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I'm sorry. (((HUGS)))

Can you put any weight on your foot? If so, weight lifting is great! If not, can you lift weights sitting down? Of course not much leg work.

I would keep trying with another podiatrist. Get a recommendation.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 09:28 PM  
fanofladyvols

{{More Hugs}} I'm sorry the physical therapist reinjured you. That freaking sucks

And echoing advice to get your doctor to recommend a different podiatrist.

Your health is too important to give up without a fight.

Don't let anyone be your obstacle to figuring this out. Don't accept the I don't know crap.

You ..ARE ..worth..it.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 09:32 PM  
bfit

I can put weight on my foot, but it's probably not a good idea so I haven't been doing anything standing. I can do pushups on the knees, core work except for planks, upper body weights or bands in the chair, and lower body floor work. A lot of the upper body (like triceps kickbacks) are hard to do properly in the chair. There are a lot of Barlates workouts that are good, but a lot of them have planks and down dogs - a LOT of planks and down dogs. Yoga is out.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 09:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

Have you tried a door anchor or a wall anchor with a resistance band?
It can get you in the right position with resistance bands for exercises while seated.

Also does working your triceps in this manner cause your feet discomfort?
https://youtu.be/2XDPNh7a8p8

Here's some more I wonder if you could do with really light weights and lots of reps or heavy with varying tempos so you can get your heart rate up.
https://greatist.com/fitness/dumbbel...t-on-the-floor

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 10:26 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Chris Freytag at Get Healthy U TV has a new set of three chair workouts on her site. I did the strength one earlier this week and thought it was really good. She does have you do squats at the end, but you could just skip that part. There’s one cardio, one strength, and one that I think is a combination. I think you have to have her streaming though to access them.

Good luck! Sounds like maybe you need to start the doctor process all over again.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 10:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm sorry to hear that your foot is still giving you problems.

the one time i had a bad foot injury, it took almost 6 months to fully heal. because we're always on our feet, it takes the longest to heal.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 06:49 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Freaking feet

I'm happy I have them, but I have hyper flexible. ankles that sprain easily. So my feet frequently hurt. I had horrible spin related ankle sprain 20 years ago that still sometimes hurts like the dickens.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 04:41 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

bfit, I'm so sorry you are dealing with pain. I actually think going to the pool 3 times a week for 45 minutes is an excellent workout and I encourage you to continue with that if it's something you enjoy.

You can try tricep kickbacks laying over a bench with your arms parallel to the floor.

Do the exercise you can tolerate that doesn't cause pain. It will be better than nothing. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and find a way to resolve your pain!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 06:36 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

maybe Margaret Richard Getting Better? but not sure how easy it is to find now. She may have it on download. All sitting or floor.

found it: $20
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Getting-Bet...wAAOSwLU5alfed

Last edited by eventmom; 10-02-20 at 06:39 PM. Reason: found it
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury, injury